+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cost of raising a child is now more than $233K

asshat slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Colt View Post
    yeah i don't get it. but this thread seems like an odd place for you and slorch to pull out the 'kids these days are just spoiled rotten'. as far as i can tell the study just looks at basic necessities and those posters that have shared their monthly costs have done the same. i suppose if the study indicated parents were spending half of that amount on video games and other mindless $#@! you and slorch would have a point. but then again, i've yet to stumble into a parenting thread where slorch wasn't lecturing the masses on the Slorch Method of Perfect Parenting.

I said not one word about the kids being spoiled.

It's about 1) parents who want everything 'financially perfect' before they start their journey, so their parenting experience will be perfect...lol and 2). What some folks think are necessary costs in parenting or raising children and differentiating between these costs and those of extravagance and excess.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by slorch; 01-10-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Banned utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club
    yeah i don't get it. but this thread seems like an odd place for you and slorch to pull out the 'kids these days are just spoiled rotten'. as far as i can tell the study just looks at basic necessities and those posters that have shared their monthly costs have done the same. i suppose if the study indicated parents were spending half of that amount on video games and other mindless $#@! you and slorch would have a point. but then again, i've yet to stumble into a parenting thread where slorch wasn't lecturing the masses on the Slorch Method of Perfect Parenting.
    Did you open the report? It isn't looking at how much basic clothing should cost if a parent bought the minimum needed to keep clean clothes on their child. It looks at the money spent on clothing for children over a sample that spans all income levels and reports that average.

My kids are spoiled. They have too much stuff. But I have a problem with these types of reports because it has the chance to delay very capable parents from having children in fear of not being able to "afford" them.

asshat SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    You can cut back on food costs if you're smart about it.

Do they count any housing expense in that $233K? Because I'd be paying that anyway.

But $#@!, I spent $3 yesterday at Goodwill on the little bastard for two books and a stuffed animal. Kid is going to run me into the ground.

But seriously, we're paying $180 for insurance, and likely $100 for formula and diapers.

Other than that, we don't have any real expenses that can be attributed directly to the kid. Lights, water, mortgage is all stuff we'd pay anyway. Things like clothes, strollers, jumping things are either borrowed or magically appear at Christmas or when a grandparent shows up.

Banned utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club utexas_61 Shaggy Gold Club
    Housing is included.

asshat Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slorch View Post
    This is why i always LOL at people waiting "until we're financially ready" for kids. Have fun getting going to Pre-K graduation at age 55...
    Yeah, because more and more folks are able to get 'set up' right on that schedule these days, right?

I just get a kick out of folks who think everything has to be set up perfectly before they get going on parenthood. Sure, due diligence should be given, but your scenario isn't as likely as you make it sound. Hell, people can't even manage the debt they have, without children...allegedly.
    And this.

Some y'all don't have the slightest clue differentiating between wants and needs.
    I said not one word about the kids being spoiled.

It's about 1) parents who want everything 'financially perfect' before they start their journey, so their parenting experience will be perfect...lol and 2). What some folks think are necessary costs in parenting or raising children and differentiating between these costs and those of extravagance and excess.

Thanks for reading.
    come on, slorch.

1) you're pointing out that too many people are financially irresponsible, and then mocking people that are actually attempting to be financially responsible when it comes to raising/supporting a family.

2) we're talking about childcare, keeping a roof over their head, education, food/clothing, insurance, and transportation, and you're suggesting some of us 'don't have the slightest clue about wants versus needs'. do you fundamentally disagree with a study that correctly points out children are expensive? because purely looking at things from a needs-based perspective, kids are really $#@!ing expensive.

Hollywood Colt, in this specific study, do you believe the associated costs for raising a child would be the same if only households with a $50k or less income were considered?

asshat Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by utexas_61 View Post
    Hollywood Colt, in this specific study, do you believe the associated costs for raising a child would be the same if only households with a $50k or less income were considered?
    i'm not even looking at it from that perspective, although i'm sure we're all footing the bill for raising children that come from poorer households. i'm purely looking at my costs to raise my child and it's really expensive and we spend virtually nothing on 'excesses'. almost everything she wears is a hand me down and we really don't have any toys, etc. outside of what the grandparents get her for christmas. others have shared their costs and those too are really high and are all needs. so i'm just taking issue with this idea that most of these costs are 'excesses' as well as slorch's position that couples should just start $#@!ting out kids irrespective of their financial ability to raise said kids (while correctly pointing out very few couples practice sound personal finances).

So you are spending $14000 a year on your kid?

In the report, there is a linear relationship between household income and cost of raising a child.

Doesn't that raise a flag in your mind that the numbers are inflated by including households with the means to spend more than is necessary? If a lower income level can get by at a certain cost, why can't others?
    Last edited by utexas_61; 01-10-2017 at 12:26 PM.

asshat Rex Kramer Probably Shaggy upper class Rex Kramer Probably Shaggy upper class Rex Kramer Probably Shaggy upper class Rex Kramer Probably Shaggy upper class Rex Kramer Probably Shaggy upper class Rex Kramer Probably Shaggy upper class Rex Kramer Probably Shaggy upper class Rex Kramer Probably Shaggy upper class Rex Kramer Probably Shaggy upper class Rex Kramer Probably Shaggy upper class Rex Kramer Probably Shaggy upper class Rex Kramer's Avatar
    Where the soft southern winds meet the live oak trees
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
    For 17 years? No, it's not. Well, with some pay stubs perhaps so.

i spend over $1,100/mo on daycare and our family insurance is $1,300/mo (with a $14,000K annual deductible). so yeah, i can just stop there and answer yes. nevermind food, housing, etc.

asshat brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club
    All expenses are variable and we choose to pay tuition and allow them to do a number of activities, but everything else is somewhat a necessity. The first section we probably spend $2,800 a month on, insurance is $1,300 a month for 4, housing and food is who knows what but it isn't cheap. I figure food and other stuff they have to have is at least $15-$20 a kid per day.
    Last edited by brew; 01-10-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Well, close to $12K on daycare alone so, yeah.

I am going to step away from this because it is getting a bit too personal and I don't know your situations wells enough.

My main point is the study is flawed as an indicator of the necessary costs associated with raising a kid. Especially how they are mixing spending trends from higher income households with lower income households.

If you didn't have the means to spend $12000 a year in daycare, you would be able to find a less expensive option. That is my only point.

asshat Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis's Avatar
    I am going to do backflips when my middle goes to kindergarten.

If you didn't have the means to spend $12000 a year in daycare, you would be able to find a less expensive option. That is my only point.
    no34.

no34.
    Okay...

Okay...
    although i'm sure many without the means receive some sort of financial assistance. we have a lot of lower income families in our kid's daycare, and there's no way they're able to float that full cost.

asshat tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman's Avatar
    Yeah. Seems low.

Bought house that was too small for us, never had debt other than the very doable mortgage. Only had two kids. If we couldn't have afforded parochial school and private college, would have gone public.

You just have to have no debt, live within your means, and not ever think about what the Jones' are driving/vacationing. That's doable with a couple of kids, one parent who works full time and the other who is willing to work full time if necessary.

The cost of raising a kid is due to having to pay other people to watch your kid while you work to make money to pay for people to watch your kid

asshat Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo's Avatar
    If this article scared OP out of having kids it more than did its job.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Knight View Post
    The cost of raising a kid is due to having to pay other people to watch your kid while you work to make money to pay for people to watch your kid
    i always wonder how many households have one parent essentially working for free because they don't want to spend all day with those little $#@!heads, hah.

asshat slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch probably preboards planes slorch's Avatar
    Daycare is mandatory?

Daycare is mandatory?
    as far as i know, the state frowns upon leaving a 6 month old at home alone during the day.

There's no doubt the study is flawed. Just the cost of daycare varies significantly among regions. I have friends in other states who pay half of what I do. That's not pocket change.

i always wonder how many households have one parent essentially working for free because they don't want to spend all day with those little $#@!heads, hah.
    I am one of those households. My wife works for her sanity and to keep 401k/up to date in her field. But when you get down to bring home dollars, it's pretty even.

My child care will be 27k this year. So, there's that.

Aside from child care, we don't spend much. That money went to the bar or titter before the kids, so it evens out. Would likely live in same house, I'm not going to live in a slum just because I don't have kids. We would drive the same cars, if not nicer, without kids. They eat the same food for the most part that I do. I mean, diapers are $25/week or so I guess but I'm not interested in $100 month, that's small for this convo. It's the childcare.

asshat SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin's Avatar
    No humblebrag, but my kids are 11 and 13, and I am quite certain I've blown through those numbers already.

as far as i know, the state frowns upon leaving a 6 month old at home alone during the day.
    You avoided the question. Great job.

Why do both parents have to work?

asshat yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    All you people spending $100 per month on kid clothes must be married to my wife.

you want me to speak for every 2 income household? here's a better question: why on god's green earth do you think that what worked for you should work for every other family in america?

asshat NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO's Avatar
    Mom is a teacher and retiring after next year. She has no grand kids yet and plans to move here. I'll try to pay her, but she'll likely refuse. Either way, that's about when we plan to try to have kids and I think that will save me quite a bit of money.

asshat Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SBBruin View Post
    No humblebrag, but my kids are 11 and 13, and I am quite certain I've blown through those numbers already.
    I'm not sure you can count roofies and the lube in your calculation

Duke of New York (Exiled) Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    $14,000k/yr? Lol.
    Yup. Full time kindergarten at Primrose (she missed the cut off for public school by 6 days)

asshat TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ's Avatar
    This thread went from zero to Slorch'd really $#@!in' quick.

asshat iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush's Avatar
    2 kids. 10 and 7

~20k/year for school

~100/month for 10 yo's iphone

We (me and kids) go to twin peaks ~2.5 times/month & kids eat free (1 free kids meal per adult meal but sometimes the waitress is sweet on me and takes both kid meals off) and it's either $5.95 or free per visit.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthepush View Post
    2 kids. 10 and 7

~20k/year for school

We (me and kids) go to twin peaks ~2.5 times/month & kids eat free (1 free kids meal per adult meal but sometimes the waitress is sweet on me and takes both kid meals off) and it's either $5.95 or free per visit.
    this post, combined with your avatar, is awesome and perfect.

asshat CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthepush View Post
    2 kids. 10 and 7

~20k/year for school

I'm the king of kids eat free. This is what I would always do:

Every Sunday- $#@!ie's kids eat free (2 kids plates for 1 purchased adult plate).
    Every Tuesday - Kids eat free at Pluckers.

Now I eat fish so I don't know wtf I'm gonna do-- Luby's?

asshat crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski's Avatar
    Daycare is mandatory?

So they can ignore the kid they left home alone.

asshat tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman's Avatar
    You know what is depressing?

We have already closed out the kids' 529 accounts.

I remember when we were arguing about what accounts and how much we should put in per month.

Time flies, young squires.

why do you guys think so many mexican families live under the same roof, and you want to keep them out of this country

asshat iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush has a gigantic e-peen. iamthepush's Avatar
    why do you guys think so many mexican families live under the same roof, and you want to keep them out of this country
    yes, so they can live under many roofs in mexico.

Tengo 9 niños y no hay dinero, me gustaría no tener hijos y 9 dinero - Mexican Homer
    Last edited by iamthepush; 01-10-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Lives Under Many Roofs sounds like a good Native 'Mercan name.

asshat phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn's Avatar
    Lives Under Many Roofs sounds like a good Native 'Mercan name.
    Lives Under Many Roofies sounds like a good Baylor name.

asshat Junger Shaggy Bronze Club Junger Shaggy Bronze Club Junger Shaggy Bronze Club Junger Shaggy Bronze Club Junger Shaggy Bronze Club Junger Shaggy Bronze Club Junger Shaggy Bronze Club Junger Shaggy Bronze Club Junger Shaggy Bronze Club Junger Shaggy Bronze Club Junger Shaggy Bronze Club
    Truth Under Many Lies

asshat maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack's Avatar
    I have a dog. I'm happy.

asshat Dutchrudder Probably Shaggy upper class Dutchrudder Probably Shaggy upper class Dutchrudder Probably Shaggy upper class Dutchrudder Probably Shaggy upper class Dutchrudder Probably Shaggy upper class Dutchrudder Probably Shaggy upper class Dutchrudder Probably Shaggy upper class Dutchrudder Probably Shaggy upper class Dutchrudder Probably Shaggy upper class Dutchrudder Probably Shaggy upper class Dutchrudder Probably Shaggy upper class Dutchrudder's Avatar
    I the 233k before or after the divorce? Cause yeah, you gotta outspend the other parent like it's the Cold War so your kids will love you more.

Quote Originally Posted by 1010wins View Post
    This is why I wanted to get a loan to help pay for child care and many of you balked at me.
    How did that work our for you?

According to Reggie White (RIP), it's because they are skilled in family structure.

Ah, you rooks, so sweet.... Don't forget to factor in the cost of auto accidents that you don't want on your insurance, rehab, lawyers and then divorce. That's where you really feel the pinch as you try to maintain two households and can't figure out what your ex is doing with "all that child support you pay".

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast