+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cost of raising a child is now more than $233K

asshat P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by utexas_61 View Post
    I am going to step away from this because it is getting a bit too personal and I don't know your situations wells enough.

My main point is the study is flawed as an indicator of the necessary costs associated with raising a kid. Especially how they are mixing spending trends from higher income households with lower income households.

If you didn't have the means to spend $12000 a year in daycare, you would be able to find a less expensive option. That is my only point.

The answer to this questions depends on where you live, and what you want out of your kid's education. Nowadays, you pretty much have to get the kid into a PreK if you don't want them falling behind. When the kiddo was in that age range, we lived in a place where there wasn't a public preK option. Most preKs won't even consider you unless you are on their waiting list a year prior to the starting preK date, and you aren't getting on that without having been enrolled in their daycare program.Lol. So yeah, $1000 a month is pretty much a necessity.

Cheesy, corny, overly sentimental post incoming:

The smile on my little girl's face I get to see every night when I walk through the door from a day at work far, far outweighs any costs associated with raising her.

asshat tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck's Son View Post

The smile on my little girl's face I get to see every night when I walk through the door from a day at work far, far outweighs any costs associated with raising her.
    Eh, I bet her smile is worth no more than 1K a day. $365,000 annual.

Shaggy Goon MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction's Avatar
    That's a lot of beer money.

asshat js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes
    Quote Originally Posted by tantric superman View Post
    Eh, I bet her smile is worth no more than 1K a day. $365,000 annual.
    Wait until she needs braces?

asshat 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post
    I am going to do backflips when my middle goes to kindergarten.
    In August we're done with daycare forever. We're already planning a trip to Japan.

asshat Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly Bevo View Post
    If this article scared OP out of having kids it more than did its job.
    This is deserving of much praise. +rep to you, Good Sir.

asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by slorch View Post
    Daycare is mandatory?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Colt View Post
    as far as i know, the state frowns upon leaving a 6 month old at home alone during the day.
    grannies? relatives?

how many respondees on this thread have been exposed to different income stratification, or their lifestyle all theyve ever known...

are these the kids that get a brand new jeep cherokee on their 16th birthday because its a lot safer than a 2500$ civic.......

asshat brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club
    I didn't grow up very well off, started working at 14, was given the old truck at 16, paid for expenses on it, and paid for college. When we had our first kid I had just made partner so our means were better than a lot, so we've spent significantly more on the best school starting at 2, activities, vacations, housing, etc. However, insurance and some other things are what they are.

You can still find a decent daycare in our area for $125 a week. That still pushes you to $7k a year just on that without looking at food and other expenses. We didn't have the option of parents/grandparents watching our kids other than for a short time, so i'm not sure how it could have been done cheaper. My wife could have quit which she did while they were babies, but by 2 we wanted them in a structured environment with other kids. There was also a cost to her not working.

Quote Originally Posted by slorch View Post
    You avoided the question. Great job.

Why do both parents have to work?
    The math only works out if the wife has a $#@!ty job with a low paycheck. Losing my wife's $110k salary/retirement/employer paid insurance to save $1200/mo in child care doesn't make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by brew View Post

You can still find a decent daycare in our area for $125 a week. That still pushes you to $7k a year just on that without looking at food and other expenses. We didn't have the option of parents/grandparents watching our kids other than for a short time, so i'm not sure how it could have been done cheaper. My wife could have quit which she did while they were babies, but by 2 we wanted them in a structured environment with other kids. There was also a cost to her not working.
    where do you live?

asshat Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
    are these the kids that get a brand new jeep cherokee on their 16th birthday because its a lot safer than a 2500$ civic.......

asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Digdogger View Post
    you'll never grow tough if you dont get knocked around a bit in auto collisions

asshat brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoda3 View Post
    where do you live?
    TN, most of the church daycares and private school daycares are in that range.

asshat WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex's Avatar
    contributing to wrong and oppression and bad things
    Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Wait until she needs braces?
    dental plan!

asshat CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoooTex View Post
    dental plan!
    Lisa needs braces!

asshat bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova's Avatar

Cost of raising a child is now more than $233K

Quote Originally Posted by CutTheCrackJack View Post
    Lisa needs braces!
    Dental plan!

asshat Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt's Avatar
    grannies? relatives?
    Nope. Next idea?

asshat Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek's Avatar
    I just want to point out how awesome I am.

#LetsRide SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZB'Tejas View Post
    Good gracious, no wonder I look back on 2016 and ask where did all my money go!

Child Care - $2200
    Food - $250
    Insurance - $100
    Clothes - $100
    Other $#@! - $100
    No $#@!. Daycare is a beating. We just switched from a place that was $1,300/month to one that is ~$2,200 so I guess we bring it on ourselves, but gotdamn it if it's not a kick in the nuts.

We are trying to time having our 2nd and the money part is tough. Day care is $1300/mo for each kid. My take is if your baby is relatively healthy then childcare/education is 80% of the total cost. We spend hardly anything on food and clothing. my wife's insurance through work isn't much more to add the kid. Ours has had 2 ER visits which made us meet our deductible and stung, but if she didn't have asthma we would've avoided that. Here's the way to make having kids very affordable:

1. Have a healthy baby
    2. Breastfeed until they can drink regular milk and solids
    3. Find a relative to provide free day care then send them to public school
    4. Be willing to do without costly extra-curriculars, childcare gadgets, toys etc.

If you can do that I don't see why you couldn't have a kid for a few hundred dollars per month, definitely <$5k/yr. That said, my 14 month old has cost me ~$2500/mo since she was born, and I still feel guilty that we don't have the very best childcare etc. I'm committed to public schools but I will feel guilty about that too. Of course if I weren't a poor none of this would matter.

What's the going rate for a babysitter these days? Asking for a friend.

asshat Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger Definitely Shaggy upper class Digdogger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Colt View Post
    Nope. Next idea?
    Sweet jumpin' Mary and Joseph, let the boy give the old lady a bath!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DalBear View Post
    Full time or part time? Full time nanny/babysitters start at $14 for the $#@!ty ones, and I've seen the good ones getting $20+/hr. Part time or for just a night out or whatever you can get for $10-15/hr.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishMitten View Post
    No $#@!. Daycare is a beating. We just switched from a place that was $1,300/month to one that is ~$2,200 so I guess we bring it on ourselves, but gotdamn it if it's not a kick in the nuts.
    $2200...for one kid? Surely not.

asshat Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonkr15 View Post
    they teach'em french and where to put the salad fork.

asshat DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA's Avatar
    That's more expensive than most private schools.

Leanin' ldogg53 Probably Shaggy upper class ldogg53 Probably Shaggy upper class ldogg53 Probably Shaggy upper class ldogg53 Probably Shaggy upper class ldogg53 Probably Shaggy upper class ldogg53 Probably Shaggy upper class ldogg53 Probably Shaggy upper class ldogg53 Probably Shaggy upper class ldogg53 Probably Shaggy upper class ldogg53 Probably Shaggy upper class ldogg53 Probably Shaggy upper class ldogg53's Avatar
    All this talk of Pre-K/daycare and $#@! is missing the bigger picture. That's just a short term expense for most who choose that route. And we're here as an educated group so we spend the $$ for that whereas many/most others don't. As someone else posted, it ISN'T necessary. Just like clothes from GAP kids aren't necessary when there is a Wal-Mart and likely Goodwill/Salvation Army/Value Village around as well. But we choose to do it. Clearly the cost of a kid goes up the more you make because you want to give them stuff you perceive as better/nicer. I think the whole discussion is a bit silly and obvious.

It did get me to thinking about my numbers, and $#@! it's bad. I've got 12 years of child support to pay for my daughter at the max level. Assuming that stays the same I will have spent/given $246,240 for that alone. Factor in some portion of my housing costs, the clothes I buy her to keep at my house, meals when we're together, vacations, fun outings on weekends, my share of medical bills, health insurance.... oh $#@!. I'm well over $325k and that doesn't even count what I spent the first 6.5 yrs of her life pre-divorce.

Gross.

#LetsRide SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten's Avatar
    Two kids.

Quote Originally Posted by DalBear View Post
    Legal nannies start at $3,000/mo. $4,000/mo if you want them to put out.

Sitters range from $10-15/hour. Some charge an additional $5/hour if there's more than 2 kids.

Two kids.
    Gotcha. You were getting a deal before then.

bay area going rate is $1400 - $2200 per kid per month. per kid. for preschool.

asshat DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA Probably Shaggy upper class DSA's Avatar
    Reading some of these daycare numbers, i'm shocked more people aren't deciding to stay at home until their kids are in kindergarten.

asshat Foosters Galore Shaggy Gold Club Foosters Galore Shaggy Gold Club Foosters Galore Shaggy Gold Club Foosters Galore Shaggy Gold Club Foosters Galore Shaggy Gold Club Foosters Galore Shaggy Gold Club Foosters Galore Shaggy Gold Club Foosters Galore Shaggy Gold Club Foosters Galore Shaggy Gold Club Foosters Galore Shaggy Gold Club Foosters Galore Shaggy Gold Club Foosters Galore's Avatar
    We end up spending about $2,000 a month on child care (nanny and day care.) One kid.

Quote Originally Posted by gsoda3 View Post
    bay area going rate is $1400 - $2200 per kid per month. per kid. for preschool.
    Well, they learn them twice as good out there.

asshat UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD's Avatar
    think we pay $11/hr for an afterschool nanny to pick up the kids and start homework. usually works out to $200/wk.

asshat yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? yarbr might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Quote Originally Posted by brew View Post
    You can still find a decent daycare in our area for $125 a week.
    Damn, that's what I pay for after school care and that's only for 2 damn hours a day at most. They do bus them to their location across the street from the school, which is nice.

bunghole cheechako is a rep whore. cheechako is a rep whore. cheechako is a rep whore. cheechako is a rep whore. cheechako is a rep whore. cheechako is a rep whore. cheechako is a rep whore. cheechako is a rep whore. cheechako is a rep whore. cheechako is a rep whore. cheechako is a rep whore. cheechako's Avatar
    $200K+ vs. $40 specialist copay to Dr. Chopp

I chose wisely.

asshat hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn's Avatar
    i can tell you that we have a $2400 deductible that we've met damn near every year the last few years thanks to the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by 1010wins View Post
    This is why I wanted to get a loan to help pay for child care and many of you balked at me.
    That was, and still is, a terrible, stupid idea.

asshat P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P Shaggy Silver Club P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yarbr View Post
    Damn, that's what I pay for after school care and that's only for 2 damn hours a day at most. They do bus them to their location across the street from the school, which is nice.
    Yeah, that's where I am, and that's not even for all 5 days. In LA, the school had it's own after school care on the premises for 15 a day. It seems like a blessing, but we paid an extra 400k to live in the neighborhood, so I guess we didn't save much...lol

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    $2,700/month in San Francisco per kid at Bright Horizons. And there is a huge waiting list.

It gets a bit cheaper after the kids are 2 years old, as they can then legally have more students per teacher. Under 2, the law states that no more than 3 kids per teacher.

It sucks droping damn near $3k/month on daycare, but we don't have family in this country and both make way more than the daycare costs, so that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by P View Post
    Nowadays, you pretty much have to get the kid into a PreK if you don't want them falling behind..
    falling behind what?

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    $2,700/month in San Francisco per kid at Bright Horizons. And there is a huge waiting list.

It gets a bit cheaper after the kids are 2 years old, as they can then legally have more students per teacher. Under 2, the law states that no more than 3 kids per teacher.

It sucks droping damn near $3k/month on daycare, but we don't have family in this country and both make way more than the daycare costs, so that's that.
    Lol. $32K/year for baby sitters. It's amazing how little a dollar is worth in California.

falling behind what?
    On their Lego building skills, yo.

I don't see anyone pointing out the costs of raising a "troubled" teenager (yeah, umm - I'm pointing this out for a friend)

you want to see your costs rise let your kid get caught trying that evil weed and making some minor stupid choices whilst doing so, and you can add the following:
    - lawyer fees
    - mandatory random drug testing costs
    - court fees
    - "restitution"
    (I My friend should write a book

- and don't forget to add the cost of insurance when you add them as teenage drivers, or band lessons, tutoring, summer camps, extracurricular fees for sports, musicals, band, and a dozen other events and activities.

I'm not complaining, but take this as a forewarning for those of you who don't have older teens - the costs are not going down much, if at all.

asshat RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3's Avatar
    When we had all 3 of our kids in daycare/pre-school, one year we dropped over $40,000 on that cost alone.

Our older 2 are in public school. I got a raise each time one started.

asshat RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3 is a rep whore. RD3's Avatar
    And a box of diapers is what $40? I got a raise when each of ours got potty-trained too. Thank God [for the $$$ and the stink] that all 3 are potty trained.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Lol. $32K/year for baby sitters. It's amazing how little a dollar is worth in California.
    a nanny/babysitter would have been waaaaay more expensive than the daycare. the ones we interviewed wanted $26/hour (for reference, min. wage is $13/hr), 50 to 60 hour/week minimum, 2 weeks paid vacation, and paid in cash.

at least with the daycare I get to do the $5k max with pre-tax money. IMO 100% of daycare costs should be tax deductible/credit as it incentivizes folks to get to work rather than stay home. /nocloakroom
    Last edited by LongIslandIceSIP; 01-12-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Well this thread made me feel way better about my choice not to have kids. I could pay off my house in two years on what some of you are paying for childcare, let alone other expenses.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast