+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: any aquarium homies out there?

Don't join or buy things off the MAAST (marine aquarium association of south Texas) boards ... some sort of aggy conspiracy over there.

Does this sound familiar? Apparently they have a policy of deleting threads that go against the grain and someone named Alex a.k.a. "aggman", who is on the board of members screwed a person out of some money because the buyer didn't pay waht the seller was hoping. Thats right, this aggy packed a small aquarium all $#@!ty before sending it to the person who bought it so the person complained and now all threads have been deleted and people who are asking questions about the situation are getting banned left and right. This aggy even managed to turn an aquarium organization and message board into texags.

heres the realted thradas that havny been deleted

http://www.marshreef.com/modules.php...wtopic&t=41505

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

yeah the guy thats mad has been on reef central and austin reef club as well, honestly i think he's a troll or there is something fishy with him.

forum wars are dumb.
    his post on austin reef was 100% verbatim what you posted a link to. lame

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rtchorn
    My salt water tank required me to check the pH/salinity and add chemicals every day.
    why? what was going on in that tank that it was so unstable? over the first year i had my tank i might have been checking levels once a week, but i haven't done that in years. i rarely, if ever, check salinity. it doesn't change, so there's no reason to check it. unless something drastic happens, none of the others (ph, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia) are going to change either. once your tank is stable and settled, you don't need to be obsessive about monitoring. even then, i just take a sample in when i buy my water and let them do it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by rtchorn
    Basically, you need to be committed to doing about 30 minutes of work on your tank everyday,
    doing what? i have gone years in between water changes (i added for evaporation, but no changes) and maybe put in 30 minutes per month. even when i first got the tank i never put in 30 minutes a day. hell, you can magnet clean the glass, top off your water and do all your chem testing in 10 min total.

Jt, what do you have in your tank right now? So I have been doing alot of reading over at the Austin Reef Club and one day I'm in, the next I'm seriously doubting it. I think if I'm in that I might start with a FO tank at first so I can go slow like everyone suggests. The problem is that I see all the beautiful coral and I want to dive right in. Have you ever seen many FO tanks that really grab your eye but still might be easy for beginner?

How does this look to you guys? I had someone contact me who is going to be selling their tank soon:

We will be upgrading soon and are going to be selling our 90 gallon set-up. We will be asking $450 for everything including the sump (without the skimmer). We are keeping the livestock and the rock. We will also leave the crushed coral with the tank. The light is a pc/mh combo.

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    just live rock and fish in my tank right now: clown, canary wrasse, sailfin blenny, coral banded shrimp and a big ol' hermit crab. i'll be adding a cleaner shrimp soon, and then another fish once a month until i have 6 or 7 fish, plus the 2 shrimp and hermit. may add a couple of nassarius snails and emerald crabs as well.

about 70 lbs (give or take) live rock and 3-4" of live sand.

i definitely think going fish only w/ live rock is the best way to start. yes, you want to get the corals and all that immediately, but trust me - you rush, you'll kill $#@!, it will cost you money and you'll be bent. it took me two years or so to figure out what i wanted and how to keep it all alive. fowlr tanks look damn good and are the base for coral tanks anyway. it's a really clear path to upgrading once you've got the hang of it.

that offer looks pretty nice - i'd ask exactly what all is included. see if you can get every piece of hardware they are selling detailed so you know exactly what you are dealing w/.

Quote Originally Posted by jt
    doing what? i have gone years in between water changes (i added for evaporation, but no changes) and maybe put in 30 minutes per month. even when i first got the tank i never put in 30 minutes a day. hell, you can magnet clean the glass, top off your water and do all your chem testing in 10 min total.
    I had a 1000 watt light that basically required me to top off everyday. I pushed the limit on stocking my tank, which meant I needed to check the chemicals daily and adjust as necessary. It also meant that I did frequent water changes.

what all did you have in there? it was a 46 bow like mine, right? i'm curious as to exactly how you had it set up. that's a ton of work for a 46.

buncha nerds on this site

i got a metal halide and i only top off the ten gallon every 3 days.

what all did you have in there? it was a 46 bow like mine, right? i'm curious as to exactly how you had it set up. that's a ton of work for a 46.
    I thought I had some pictures, but I guess not. Part of the problem was that I worked at a pet store, so I got all of my stock/supplies at cost. The temptation to take the new arrivals home was pretty huge. Probably the worst time was when I took an anenome home. He proceeds to plant himself in the back corner of my tank where I couldn't get to him, and then die. I also had a dwarf lion in the tank, which was a pretty bad polluter. It just seemed like I was constantly battling algae, and there's nothing like a algea eater you can get with fresh water. The only thing you can do is small scale water changes over time.

the dead anemone will do that for sure. did you have a sump? refugium? live rock? live sand? with that much light in that small a tank, it's going to become an algae nightmare unless you have a macroalgae refugium.

aggressive fish are horrible polluters. $#@!ers don't clean up after their own mess! gotta have a lot of scavengers if you go aggressive. so cool looking, but i've gone to the other side. i'm all about little happy fish that get along well w/ everyone and will go search out every bit of food. i skip feeding about every 3rd day to make sure they are getting it all because i don't have much of a cleanup crew right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kangsta
    buncha nerds on this site

haha! nah, it IS a pretty nerdy hobby. everyone thinks the end result is cool and they love to watch the fish, but the work is pretty nerdy, no doubt about it.

asshat Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday's Avatar
    algae is easily cleaned off the glass with one of these guys...

when i had my tank up and running i first had it in the wrong place and it received way too much light. the algae blooms were awful and this was the best tool i found to help keep it clean without major water changes until i moved the tank into a better location.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/magnetic-cleaners.html

the dead anemone will do that for sure. did you have a sump? refugium? live rock? live sand? with that much light in that small a tank, it's going to become an algae nightmare unless you have a macroalgae refugium.

aggressive fish are horrible polluters. $#@!ers don't clean up after their own mess! gotta have a lot of scavengers if you go aggressive. so cool looking, but i've gone to the other side. i'm all about little happy fish that get along well w/ everyone and will go search out every bit of food. i skip feeding about every 3rd day to make sure they are getting it all because i don't have much of a cleanup crew right now.
    I had a homemade sump with algae in it (don't remember the volume) and lots of live rock/live sand. I also had a skimmer and a filter on it. I found a guy in NW Austin that was selling live rock for $3-4/lb. I think I may have actually had too much rock in there, thus making the water volume even smaller.

rtc - sounds like you just had too much going on in a tank not really big enough to handle it all.

doc - those magnets are a godsend, but they only do so much. you have to be religious w/ them (i try and hit my glass once a week) and you have to be SUPER careful w/ them so you don't pick up sand and then scratch the $#@! out of your glass. over the years i've jacked my glass up pretty damn good and those scratches are the places where the algae can really take hold. whenever i do the big breakdown once a year and i've got the water level down about halfway, i get the good algae scrubber out and clean the entire tank. looks SO damn good after that for about a month.

Lets see some pics you nerds.

\Nerds[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOK8qlzStwA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reefbuil ders.com%2F&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

asshat Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the real PRONG HORN
    Lets see some pics you nerds.
    This pic I took of one of my smaller zoanthid colonies made it on this month's ReefSlides on Reefkeeping Magazine. So famous now ;)

wow - that's really neat! i haven't ever seen that before. cool!

Cool. I've never seen that tight growth before.

I broke down and bought a 55 gallon tank last week, spent the last week cleaning + scraping + re-siliconing and water testing. it passed so today i moved my nano's pieces over to the new tank. pretty sure i killed everything on transfer because i didn't think it through and used 15 gallons of 60degree water + 10 gallons of reefwater for 25 gallons of not-life-supporting water.

Eh, nothing in there besides some snails right now because I knew the move was coming and am going to start a new cycle.

Built the stand myself, and whiel I haven't skinned it yet to make it look nice I'm pretty happy with myself right now . Doing a DIY sump tomorrow (instead of work of course).

pics, fool!

yeah, yeah, i will next week when i get my camera back... or i figure out why the iphone camera sucks.

Jt - whats the purpose of the multiple containers in your sump

I started a 55 fresh water gallon tank couple of weeks back. I did a fish-less cycle using fish food to start the ammonia-nitrite-nitrate process. After the water turned brown due to algae, I changed ~75% of the water and introduced 4 guppies, 4 barbs and 6 neon tetras two days back. So far, so good. I want to be as fish-friendly as possible, both for the fish as well as for my 3 daughters (aged 4, 6 and 11). I want to introduce some plants and 6 rainbows and 3-4 bottom feeders this week.

My question is what happens if the fish have eggs/kids? Do I leave them to get eaten? Do I take care of them by separating them (how?) What if I don't want any baby fishes? Do babies happen only if you try to very hard or they could happen in my setup too? I don't want to overcrowd my tank and prefer to have the same number of fish as I bought. Also, what to do with extra population if I end up with them?

No pics as the tank looks pretty bare with no plants and tiny (<1") fish right now.

i'm not sure about fw fish but everything i see on sw fish makes having babies pretty hard. i've never researched it but seen people who separate the eggs into a second tank to let them a) not get eaten and b) provide just the right temps and chems.

i think they're only going to happen if you try for them. if you have extras you might be able to sell it back to the fish store for a couple bucks or craigslist it

asshat Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club
    have had freshwater fish for about 6 years now, I never had fish have babies until recently. One small baby fish popped up, I'm assuming the rest got eaten, but this one is big enough now I think he'll make it.

Quote Originally Posted by capty99
    Jt - whats the purpose of the multiple containers in your sump
    i have some physical filtration media in there. just some of that superfine monofilament stuff that looks like cotton batting. i change it out every other month or so.

on the fw fish making babies: unless you really want to take the hobby to the next level, just let the other fish eat the babies. they are a whip to care for long enough for them to take care of themselves.

sanctimonious sonofabitch ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind's Avatar
    Where there's smoke there's fire. So look for the smoke
    I've had FW and SW tanks most of my life but been out of the hobby for a few years. This thread gave me the bug so I decided to dive back in. For you guys looking for setups, eqpt, rock/sand, I highly recommend craigslist.

I bought an existing 75G reef setup from a guy in town. The tank is a fairly new Oceanic RR tank. Came with AGA stand and canopy, sump, rio return, skimmer, about 120 lbs of live rock and a ton of live sand, lights and other [steve]accoutrements[/carrell]. Paid $400 for all of the above.

Broke the tank down, moved it and set it back up. I only used enough sand for 1.5" sand base and sold the remainder. The rock had lots of hitchhikers so I've got xenia colonies popping up all over the tank, some bristles, and tons of pods.

Because it was a transplant it cycled quickly. Note to self: Do not cheat on water, do not cheat on water, do not cheat on water. Yeah, I cheated on water. 50G of distilled not too easy to find in Katy so I (gasp) used mostly tap with conditioner. Yes, I immediately regretted it when I got a nice little cyano outbreak. Thank heavens for ChemiClean and water changes. After several weeks of regular water changes with RO, I'm pretty sure there is no more tap left in the tank.

Upgrades and livestock.

The lighting that came with the tank was a twin tube T5 and standard marineland T8. Promptly purchased an additional twin tube T5 and scrapped the T8. Now running 1 7600 k, 1 10000k, 1 75/25 actinic and 1 true actinic. About to add some lunar LEDs for the shimmer. Also modified the standpipe to a full Durso and it is bewy quiet now. Additional fixture cost me $120 (I love aquaticlife products...fantastic bang for the buck).

Slowwwwwlllly stocking the tank. Have added a handful of astrea, blue leg and red leg hermits. A fire shrimp, a coral banded shrimp and two emerald crabs. One ocellaris, a coral beauty, lawnmower blenny and a spotted mandarin goby. My prize possession is my blue T. Maxima clam which is all kinds of bad ass. Have him on the rock about 2/3 of the way up the water column so he gets nice and toasty from the lights. Got a branching frogspawn and branching hammer. Will add some softies and LPS as I find some I really like.

I'm running a filter sock and live rock in my sump. May add some chaeto and some sand in a few months.

So I don't get bombed with TTIWWP comments, here you go. $#@!s.

With just actinics. The powerhead has an airline on it in this pic because I just dosed it with ChemiClean...had to add extra O2.

With actinics and daylight spectrum.

scrimps looking for food

And my maxima.

i want a maxima.... i just don't trust myself or my tank yet. nice tank

BTW, i found amazonia aquariums. they are now in a weird spot (but its less than a mile from my house) just south of the home depot on 35, but you have to take the northbound frontage road to get there. they've been there since june but are moving into saltwater (all of it very fresh and not built up equipment or fish wise yet)

and i've heard lots of bad things about fish received there and overall service, but so far i have been really pleased with the service i've gotten, everyone is nice and helped me out.

asshat lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3's Avatar
    Bumpin. Been working on a reef ready 55 gallon for a couple weeks now getting the plumbing all set up. Then I found a guy getting rid of a 90 with stand and canopy so I'm almost doubling my tank before it was even up and running. Got the lights, sump, skimmer and pumps. Not sure I should be starting this hobby again. $$$$hit.

bunghole Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    That's not too bad. I'm about to go crazy with a new 240 tank holding a group of 15 Zaire Moba Frontosa. Wouldn't be too bad if the fish weren't more expensive than the tank. Then again, my group of Bismark Frontosa became profitable in about 18 months so hopefully these guys will acclimate and breed quickly.

Aquariums are for sure not for people afraid to spend money. They have a way of sucking it out of you.

bump just because my starfish finally came out to where i could get some good pics of him. and because i picked up these crabs yesterday and i'll never see all 3 out in the open again.

champ - let's see some updated pics! you too ls3...

asshat jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus's Avatar
    JT, thank you for bumping this thread. My previously beaten addiction to reef tanks hasn't been contemplated for over a year. Now I am highly considering spending money on this $#@! again.............

$#@! you

asshat lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3's Avatar
    no water in the tank yet. i'm pretty sure i've got all the $#@! i need for the go-ahead, just need to figure out the plumbing for it. I've never done the whole closed loop with the sump thing before and find it a little intimidating. guess that will be my project when i get back from Mexico.

also i need to sell my 55 gallon and lights i have for that one so if anyone's interested in wasting a $#@! ton of their income on this hobby i have a very inexpensive starter kit.
    Last edited by lonestar3; 05-26-2011 at 02:51 PM.

ls3 - if you want to come over and check out my system when you get back, you are more than welcome. it was a bit intimidating at first, but it's not that big of a deal once you have a real idea of what you are trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    ls3 - if you want to come over and check out my system when you get back, you are more than welcome. it was a bit intimidating at first, but it's not that big of a deal once you have a real idea of what you are trying to do.
    Awesome, and I can show you how to cook a steak on a skillet.

Really what I'm afraid of is getting the massive return pump to match the amount of water gravity will feed to the sump. That and getting my sump set up with the most benefit. Maybe I'll shoot you some pictures and you can give me some ideas on what to do.

What kind of lighting are you running?

your pump determines flow, not the siphon. your siphon can flow 1000gph, but if your pump only pushes 200gph, only 200gph is going down that siphon. post a pic of your siphon. it's going to be pretty hard to outpump whatever setup you have. mine is a single hangover and i could probably double my flow and not think twice about it. i want to say i'm somewhere around 650, but i don't really know. had a rio 1700, and replaced it a couple of years ago w/ a mag.

my lighting is nothing special (hence, why my tank is a fowlr, and not a reef), just a straight flourescent. 30watt marine-glo actinic. def more blue than any bulb i've ever used before. by the time i get a job and can put some more money into it (what it deserves now, not what i really want), i'll probably get a much less blue light. actually, i'd like to be able to really shop around and a nice ho/cf/possible mh setup for around $200 and get a reef going finally.

don't know if i posted here or not but i did an emergency breakdown of my pride and joy tank about a year and a half ago.... now really getting the itch to start again since things have settled back to normal.

in australia right now and dove the great barrier reef two days ago, so much stuff i could pick out because it was in my aquarium at one time or another and so much stuff thats completely new. now really getting the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    your pump determines flow, not the siphon. your siphon can flow 1000gph, but if your pump only pushes 200gph, only 200gph is going down that siphon. post a pic of your siphon. it's going to be pretty hard to outpump whatever setup you have. mine is a single hangover and i could probably double my flow and not think twice about it. i want to say i'm somewhere around 650, but i don't really know. had a rio 1700, and replaced it a couple of years ago w/ a mag.

my lighting is nothing special (hence, why my tank is a fowlr, and not a reef), just a straight flourescent. 30watt marine-glo actinic. def more blue than any bulb i've ever used before. by the time i get a job and can put some more money into it (what it deserves now, not what i really want), i'll probably get a much less blue light. actually, i'd like to be able to really shop around and a nice ho/cf/possible mh setup for around $200 and get a reef going finally.
    Yours is 36" right? I found a mh/cf setup that is right around there brand new that I will have to look up and post. I think the 48" was right at $295 so doing the math should put the smaller one right around what you're looking at. I have a t5ho right now but I dont want my light to limit my tank at all.

And with the overflows, one of the store owners scoffed when I told him I had a single overflow for my 55. Said there was no way that would handle the necessary turnover. The way mine is set up now with the 90 is having both the single inlet and return in the same corner overflow box. That make any sense?

asshat Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar's Avatar
    24 gal Nano in the begining

6/7 months later

Upgraded to a 90g, 117g total water vol

Sump on the 90g

I swear by Metal Halide lights they are the best for all enviroments, IMO. I had a 48" nova extreme pro on my 90 and coral growth was very slow. As soon as I switched to MH's 250W double ends my corals grew like weeds. I paid for it via my electric bill going w/MH's but would do it again. You can never have to much flow in a coral/reef tank. I used 3 K4's and a Mag 12 for a return and it was perfect.

nice work momma dodge! whats the vertical cylinder outside the sump on the left hand side of the last pic? i'd love to see some more detailed pic of that sump.

ls3 - yes, mine is 36" wide. it will be a challenge to find exactly what i want for $200, but lighting has been getting better and cheaper every year, so i'm hoping i can get a kickass setup and start the reef (after 11 years).

i'd have to see your setup for flow before making a real judgement, but all i can say is that my single overflow could handle more w/ no problem at all (maybe not DOUBLE like i posted above, but close). have you done the math and tried to figure out what you are aiming for? besides, all your flow doesn't have to come from your return pump - if you need more flow for your corals, just buy a powerhead or two.

what store owner told you that about the single overflow not being enough?

asshat Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar's Avatar
    JT- the cylinder (2) one runs GFO which is a granular phosphate reduced and the other on the left( not pictured) runs carbon for polishing the water, gives u a polished depth look. The 1st compartment is a ASM G2 skimmer then overflows into the macro alage section with 3 kinds with a 5" sand bed with snails then into the return section. I run the light above the macro algae on reverse light cycle of my halides to stabilize the ph in the tank. Keeps it at 8.0-8.2 all the time. I'll post more pix of the sump when I get home.

Here ya go JT

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Metal-Halide-...#ht_1962wt_907

There's like a 50 page review for this light on reefcentral. I read through a bunch of it and gathered that the earlier versions of this one had $#@!ty wiring that were apparently causing house fires. Bad news for those people, good for us, b/c they dropped the cost on the newer models that have the wiring bug fixed. Pretty amazing for the price. I was going to stick with T5HO's but I love the shimmer effect of MH's.
    Last edited by lonestar3; 05-27-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Here are the pix of my 1st sump, I dont have any of big one except the one posted. The 1st one is a homemade 19g sump that was just a temp until I could build a bigger one that flowed and had the compartments that I wanted.

The light(s) will determine what corals you'll be able to grow. If you drop the money and get a good kit/set-up you'll never have to upgrade, unless you change tanks. It will save you money in the long run. You can get by with 1 MH but light demanding corals (SPS,Clams some LPS) will have a hard time on the bottom. The depth of a tank will place a factor to as the intensity of light gets weaker the further it goes. The best investment you can make is in good lights/skimmer.

asshat TXSG8R might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSG8R might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSG8R might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSG8R might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSG8R might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSG8R might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSG8R might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSG8R might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSG8R might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSG8R might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSG8R might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSG8R's Avatar
    jt is that a brittle star? I had one of those scare the $#@! out of me in the Bahamas. Was flipping dead conch shells looking for lobster and one of those came flying out of one. Looked like a grabber from Aliens, those $#@!ing things can MOVE.

yup ls3 - that's the brand/type of setup i've been looking at. was around $325 for the one i wanted last time i looked - i think i was looking at one that had 2 mh in the hood, but it's been a while.

mm - thanks for the lesson. that big sump you have is pretty much what i'd like to do w/ the refugium in the middle. i've got plenty of room under my tank for a big ass sump and i'd like to make a plexi diy one someday.

g8r - yup, brittle star. he's absolutely thrived since i got him. he's super healthy and fairly active for a star.

haha! new 6-line wrasse ended up in the overflow. don't recall that happening ever before. i pulled up the filter, stuck my hand in the box to scare him into the tube, and then just grabbed him out of the filter media in the sump and tossed him back into the tank.

my badass nassarius snail. i'm happy if i see this guy once a month - hell i went almost 2 years thinking he was dead until i saw him about 6 months ago. today he was HAULING ASS - covered probably 12-15" in 60 seconds. i wish i had 10 of him - super hardy.

asshat Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim's Avatar
    Only a coward laments over a past unlived.
    Is there a saltwater fish, preferably a big one, that I could put in a big tank and then feed it live stuff? Like go out and buy smaller cheap fish as food for this monster fish I have? Does such a fish exist?

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast