+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: any aquarium homies out there?

asshat Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    what's a cuc?
    Clean up Crew

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    ah - clean up crew. gotcha.

asshat vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox's Avatar
    Got a buddy that is way up in this kind of $#@!.

Here's a link to a cam on his tank:

http://www.rowelab.com/fish/camera/

asshat pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo's Avatar
    So it looks like we just sold our house. I've got a 60 gallon freshwater tank with African Cichlids. Any advice on taking it down, transporting it, and setting it back up?

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    when i moved last time, i put the fish in a bucket, removed most of the water until i could carry the tank w/ a buddy, taped a trash bag over the top and drove it to the new place. put everything back together and crossed my fingers because it was the equivalent of a 75% water change, not to mention the stress. should be easier w/ freshwater. if you do anything to prep your water, i'd do that and have the water ready at the new site before moving the tank.

asshat UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange's Avatar
    My tank is doing well. Need to take some new pics. The corralline is growing well and the tank is relatively stable. I added some eagle eye zoas and some hammer coral to it, but just frag sized pieces. Also added a hi fin red banded goby and tiger pistol shrimp. I love them, but they rarely come out and play. But when they do it's a lot of fun to watch. Luckily I tricked them into choosing a spot right at the front of the tank after they kept moving around.

Also added a turbo snail because I was having a mini hair algae outbreak. He destroyed that in two days.

The best addition has been a chiller though. I got a used one off craigslist and it has been working like a champ. It has made my water top off go from a gallon every 3 days to a gallon every 2.5 weeks.

asshat pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo's Avatar
    when i moved last time, i put the fish in a bucket, removed most of the water until i could carry the tank w/ a buddy, taped a trash bag over the top and drove it to the new place. put everything back together and crossed my fingers because it was the equivalent of a 75% water change, not to mention the stress. should be easier w/ freshwater. if you do anything to prep your water, i'd do that and have the water ready at the new site before moving the tank.
    Thanks. That's pretty much what I was planning to do. I've got 5x 5 gallon buckets I use for water changes and cleaning. You think it would be worthwhile to pump some of the water into the buckets and move some of the water, too? That way it would only be about a 50% water change.

asshat UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pescado_rojo View Post
    Thanks. That's pretty much what I was planning to do. I've got 5x 5 gallon buckets I use for water changes and cleaning. You think it would be worthwhile to pump some of the water into the buckets and move some of the water, too? That way it would only be about a 50% water change.
    Definitely. Keep as much of it as you can

agreed. i think i did that w/ my buckets back then but i only had 2 or 3 (this was like 12 yrs ago, so my apologies for not mentioning that earlier).

asshat Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club
    So it looks like we just sold our house. I've got a 60 gallon freshwater tank with African Cichlids. Any advice on taking it down, transporting it, and setting it back up?
    I have a 75 gal cichlid tank that I have moved more times than i would have liked too. Did what others have said, bought like 5 of those 5 gal home depot buckets and filled with the tank water, threw the fish in one of them and then filled the other buckets.

Surprisingly never had a fish die from the move, gettin the last bit of water out of the tank is always a bitch because it still is usually heavy as $#@!

Thanks guys. I guess I need to go to HD and buy the lids for my 5 gallon buckets. I have a small aerator pump and air stone from one of those cheap bait buckets you buy at the coast. You think it would be worth it to rig it up on the bucket I throw the fish in?

Thanks guys. I guess I need to go to HD and buy the lids for my 5 gallon buckets. I have a small aerator pump and air stone from one of those cheap bait buckets you buy at the coast. You think it would be worth it to rig it up on the bucket I throw the fish in?
    Absolutely, never know how long they'll be in there

asshat Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic's Avatar
    diamond goby
    diamond goby pls.

nice pics, jt.

asshat Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar has a gigantic e-peen. Mother Mopar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UofTOrange View Post
    Definitely. Keep as much of it as you can
    This

Crappy pic of the hammer coral

Eagle Eye zoas in the middle

Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp

ohhh! goby envy! do want!

flame scallop has moved into an AWESOME spot in the tank - front and center.

Candy Canes are splitting and new hammer coral addition

My favorite, added some frogspawn

Here is a vid with the goby and tiger pistol shrimp

oooohhh! i likey the tiger pistol shrimp too! almost bought that goby tonight, but picked up this yellow watchman instead.

Love the yellow watchman. I've been thinking of adding another small fish to my tank. That might be the one

well, 48 hours later and he's nowhere to be seen. no happy fish, no floating fish, no fish sucked into the sump, no gelatinous goo where a fish used to be and the bristleworms and crabs haven't finished it off yet. hoping he's just hiding, but he wasn't hiding at all the first day (i was out of town yesterday). bummer.

well, 48 hours later and he's nowhere to be seen. no happy fish, no floating fish, no fish sucked into the sump, no gelatinous goo where a fish used to be and the bristleworms and crabs haven't finished it off yet. hoping he's just hiding, but he wasn't hiding at all the first day (i was out of town yesterday). bummer.
    Mine was gone for the first 6 days. They dig under the rocks and live there. I see him only in the morning and at night for feeding time

well, that's at least a little hope. i'll keep looking for him and hope for the best.

no sign of him yet, so i picked up this purple lobster from river city aquatics up on 183.

asshat spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class
    How much did the yellow guy cost?

$22

lobster was $27

The lobster looks awesome

i'm hoping he works out. last 2 critters have bit the dust pretty quick - featherduster (don't know why i even try them - have probably killed a dozen over the years) and the yellow watchman.

asshat Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung's Avatar

i'm hoping he works out. last 2 critters have bit the dust pretty quick - featherduster (don't know why i even try them - have probably killed a dozen over the years) and the yellow watchman.
    Did the Goby officially die?

asshat Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung's Avatar
    Gobies are hard to kill. Maybe try freshwater a while.

asshat Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic's Avatar
    who's watching the yellow watchman?

Quote Originally Posted by UofTOrange View Post
    Did the Goby officially die?
    pretty sure. haven't seen him at all. of course, now i haven't seen the purple lobster either, but he's nocturnal and i haven't been looking after the lights go out.

asshat jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus grows his own roses jose_medina_de_jesus's Avatar
    ok update to my build up:

sold my house moved into a apartment. 3rd floor, they wont let me have any thing larger than 20 gal. i dont know if i should even bother.....

sanctimonious sonofabitch ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind's Avatar
    Where there's smoke there's fire. So look for the smoke
    no sign of him yet, so i picked up this purple lobster from river city aquatics up on 183.

That's a nice debelius. Be warned, it will eat anything that gets close enough for it to grab. I added one to my 180 mixed reef and it took me about three weeks to figure out why I had fish disappearing every other day. I kept the damned thing well fed but he apparently wasn't happy with that. It took the better part of a day to get him out of the tank.

sanctimonious sonofabitch ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jose_medina_de_jesus View Post
    I can try, deep sand bed allows for more nitrate dissolving bacteria to live than what a shallow bed will allow. a plenum, is a barier that lifts your sand bud up off of the bottom of the tank to allow for a dead space under the sand that supposedly allows for even more beneficial bacteria than does a DSB. my thought on it is to have a plenum up in the display tank with a shallow sand bed. and a plenum in the sump/refuge with a deep sand bed on top of that. I suppose that trying certainly wont hurt my cause. It can only make no difference or give me positive gains. Look at Garf.org for a more complex look at what they are and exactly how they work.
    You ever considered using a cryptic sump? On my last reef, I converted the fuge chamber of my sump to a cyrptic zone and had an almost immediate drop in nitrates (very surprising to me because I was growing chaeto like crazy). I was running mostly SPS at that point and they responded very well.

Quote Originally Posted by jose_medina_de_jesus View Post
    ok update to my build up:

sold my house moved into a apartment. 3rd floor, they wont let me have any thing larger than 20 gal. i dont know if i should even bother.....
    Right there with you. We sold our house and moved into a high rise. I went from a 180 to nothing. Seriously considering picking up a nano with LED hood and setting it up at my office. Lots of LPS and softies that should do well in that enviro.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampKind View Post
    That's a nice debelius. Be warned, it will eat anything that gets close enough for it to grab. I added one to my 180 mixed reef and it took me about three weeks to figure out why I had fish disappearing every other day. I kept the damned thing well fed but he apparently wasn't happy with that. It took the better part of a day to get him out of the tank.
    yeah, i'm already having buyer's remorse. i'm going to do a big breakdown next weekend and will take him and my coral banded in for trade.

Those CBS can be mean little $#@!ers too. Mine used to steal food from my snowflake if you can believe that. Kept hoping the eel would get pissed an eat him...but he didn't

Had the same issue with mine Champ, except it was with my peppermint shrimp in my mixed reef tank. The CBS went on craigslist not long after.

37 gal with specs. Nice color in a small setup.

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=63

that's gorgeous!

i just gave my tanks a good breakdown and scrub last weekend. took all the lr out, pulled the pvc and eggcrate that i had in there to keep the rock up higher (wasn't worth the look of it when the fish moved the sand and it's hard to move the sand to clean the glass w/ it in there), scrubbed the glass good and rearranged the lr. lr looks like ass now because so much of the old underside is now on top, but it will get coraline soon enough. used the lack of hiding spaces to snag the purple lobster and coral banded shrimp to take them in for trade. $#@!ing shrimp tore both his arms off and cost me half his value.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin Chung View Post
    37 gal with specs. Nice color in a small setup.

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=63

That your tank? That actinic glow looks more like something achieved by using royal blue LEDs. Fantastic. Those LPS are flouescing nicely

I'm getting the bug again and thinking about pulling the trigger on a nano with LED hood. I really like the look of rimless tanks but my wife's dogs produce a ton of airborne dander and hair...este no bueno with open top tanks.

Instead of doing another reef, I'm thinking about keeping ponies again. I've had pretty good luck with keeping H. Erectus and H. Reidi in nanos. The key will be finding a decent chiller at a reasonable price cause the ponies like cold water. Don't think I can keep the water temp at 71-72 without a chiller.

Speaking of glow. Iv'e got 13 Cree Royal Blues for sale (unmounted).

That your tank? That actinic glow looks more like something achieved by using royal blue LEDs. Fantastic. Those LPS are flouescing nicely

asshat spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class
    The koi pond they built for Bart Scott on tonight's episode of "Tanked" was $#@!ing silly.

well, that yellow watchman goby didn't last long. and the flame scallop finally died about 2 months ago - apparently i kept him pretty long, comparatively.

huge sale at river city aquatics today (30% off all livestock, plus specialized sales on specific critters), so i stocked up.

purple firefish - haven't had luck w/ firefish in the past, but i'm hoping for success this time

engineer goby

cleaner shrimp - i already have a new coral banded, but he's a hiding bitch and can never get a pic of him.

couple of green emerald crabs - i think i have 2 in the tank already, so 4 total now.

picked up 5 mexican turbo snails too, but they are all stuck to each other and just look like a big clump of nothing good.

here's what i've got in there already - pretty much at my limit.

not sure what these two guys are - any id help would be appreciated:

tang of some kind - dark blue w/ lighter racing stripes.

purple psuedochromis w/ tang in foreground

diamond goby

still have the clown and the starfish as well.

Thats a coris wrasse. Great fish. Surprised the pseudo hasn't bullied him. The coris is probably the most docile wrasse and the pseudos are usually pretty aggressive. He probably wont take too kindly to the firefish.

How big is your tank? If those turbos are quarter size they will destroy your algae population quickly. $#@!ers are like bulldozers so make sure your corals are glued/ziptied down. I had a half dozen in my 180 and had to supplement their feeding.

purple psuedo has been a bit aggressive towards the firefish early on, so i'll have to keep an eye on that. he's never bothered the choris wrasse.

tank size - 46g bow. no corals, so the snails can go crazy. i need them to chow algae.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast