+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: any aquarium homies out there?

any aquarium homies out there?

I have your basic 10 gallon freshwater tank and I want to go to salt water, and get some live rock etc....

a) is it worth it in a 10 gallon tank

b) how much is it going to cost me to upgrade anything ... (i am doing tropical now so i have a heater)

and c) how much more science is involved

gracias.

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    a) not worth it at all imo. some people do nanoreefs in tiny aquariums, and i have zero experience there, but it seems like you should be pretty experienced w/ saltwater tanks before attempting that. you need a min 46/55g sized tank to be worth it for sw, imo.

b) if you go cheap, you can do everything under $500 w/ a 55g tank, over the back filter, heater and light. i would bet craislist is loaded w/ stuff right now w/ people trying to find $$$.

c) the science isn't hard at all. you follow the directions on the sw mix, add the right chems as directed, test, adjust...it's cake. i haven't tested my water in probably 5 years. once it's set, it's good to go. mind you, i have a 46g w/ another 20g sump below, 75(ish) lbs live rock, 4" live sand bed.

go here: http://www.reefcentral.com best site out there for saltwater information. i lived on that site for the first 2 years i had a tank.

here's some pics of mine over the years:

diy sump

it's time for a total rebuild of my tank. there are better, cheaper lights out there now that will allow me to get an anenome. my pump and heater are both 10 years old+/-, my return hoses need new fittings and i'd like to trade in almost all of the fish i have right now and start over. about a $500 project for me.

asshat Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday's Avatar
    the thing about salt water aquariums and aquariums in general is that the smaller the tank the more fluctuation you get in your chemical balances. salt water fish, coral and other animals are very, very finicky with the chemical balances. so 10 gallon aquariums will have to be checked daily and adjusted daily. those chemicals aren't cheap either. however, if you were to get a larger size...50+ it goes from checking daily to checking weekly or twice a week with minor adjustments. any size above 50 gallons still needs to be checked weekly but you have much more leeway/forgiveness if you forget to check it for a day or during your normal routine.

nice alright.

just set up this tank anyways to get back into it so may just use it as a jumping off point.

it all started when i went back through my old bookmarks and found

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z8clVvUKnY[/youtube]

(and yes your right there is a good amount of cheap big tanks)

asshat Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday has a gigantic e-peen. Doc Holliday's Avatar
    also...if you are still questioning anything go to a local store...atx would be amazonia or aqua-tek. both great stores and very knowledgeable staff.

but i guess in the end i do not recommend it with your 10 gallon at all. upgrade to 50-100 gallons and then do it. you'd love it more and have to work less to maintain it.

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    amazonia or aqua-tek.
    amazonia is awesome, but freshwater only. aqua-tek is worthless, imo. they have some cool euro brands that you can't find other places, but their selection of fish is weak, the care of the tanks is very suspect and their "help" ain't helpful for $#@!. i've all but stopped going in there unless i'm on burnett w/ time to kill.

austin aquarium over behind northcross mall and partners up in round rock were the best salt stores in the area by far, and both are closed w/i the last year or so.

i get all my fish and food from gallery of pets at 183/duval where the short stop is. not the best selection of hardware, but they have most of what you need. they've gotten much better w/ lighting in the last couple of years.

Banned Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard.
    Have you considered going the African cichlid route? I used to have a 150 gallon freshwater tank with cichlids and it was virtually maintenance free compared to a marine tank.

My old favorite cichlid, the Frontosa. He was probably six or seven years old and a good ten inches long.

I have the same tank as JT (except with a nicer stand). I did salt water all through college, but switched over to fresh because I move around a lot for work. I don't really have much more to add to what JT said except that switching to salt water (even with a 10 gallon) will run you $300-500, and it's more expensive to maintain. A protein skimmer will be your largest cost, but if you're doing a micro-reef tank, you'll probably need to upgrade your lighting and you'll probably want to upgrade your filter as well. With a micro reef, you're really limited to 1 or 2 fish tops. They can look very nice, though. I would go to Aqua-tek and look at some of the set-ups they have to get an idea of what is possible. It's also a good idea to get on a local aquarium forum. Live rock can run $5-10/pound, but I met a guy from Yahoo groups that sold is for $2.50/pound.

bunghole Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    I've had aquariums all my life and worked at Amazonia all through college -- so I'm happy to help out with any questions etc. Just PM me. BUT - amazonia is only fresh water so don't go there looking for reef advice.

Actually, I wouldn't go there looking for any advice. Sorry to say but all the good people left that place and now there are just a bunch of hipster kids who had a 10g tank growing up. It's good if you know what you want, can spot a sick fish, and don't need them to help you answer anything.

Now...I am all about AFrican cichlids..100%. Love them. And I know the people in town who breed most of the stuff the stores use, so you don't have to spend as much. But not in 10g tank.

A nanoreef -- as people have been saying -- is probably one of the harder tanks to keep up. You've really got to stay on top of it. It's funny becasue as someone else already mentioned, the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep. Most people think it's the other way around. But a 10g tank that loses a half gallon of water to evaporation is going to throw everything out of whack...fast.

But at the same time, when you do it right they look awesome. My reco would be to start with something easier and get used to the process and routine.

bunghole Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Bevo5 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasmaniac
    Frontosas are my favorite fish. I had to sell my last tank when I moved back to NYC, but I had an awesome 125 with 6 wild-caught bizmarcks. I had them for about 6yrs and towards the end they were producing 20-30fry every month or so. Hell, when I sold the group two females were holding and the guy got 50 fish out of it. That sucks for me...since I was selling each for $7 at 1.5inches.

As soon as I get back to Tx I'm getting a 240g and 12-15 Zaire Blues (or whatever the next crazy variant will be). I'm going to sit them in the tank and leave it for 10yrs...those $#@!ers will get big.

yeah i'll come back asking questions in a few months before I grab a bigger tank... for now I will work on this guy and try to remember the little bit of knowledge i used to have.

I just ran to buy some cheap stuff from the Petco @ Han$#@!... and I wouldn't buy fish there normally but all of the tanks were well maintained and I didn't see a one dead fish which is rare for anywhere... really surprised though that they had live rock in there and then a few more expensive fish .

Amazonia will be my next stop I guess for the freshwater but yeah I'm craving going salty soon.

asshat texdude2006 is a rep whore. texdude2006 is a rep whore. texdude2006 is a rep whore. texdude2006 is a rep whore. texdude2006 is a rep whore. texdude2006 is a rep whore. texdude2006 is a rep whore. texdude2006 is a rep whore. texdude2006 is a rep whore. texdude2006 is a rep whore. texdude2006 is a rep whore. texdude2006's Avatar
    I have a 10 gallon freshwater in my room. Will probably be upgrading to a 40-55ish when I move into a larger room in a few months.

I have a Blood Parrot Cichlid who is growing fast. He already ate one of my Danios, and is chasing the others around incessantly.

May add another Chiclid or two when I get the new tank.

Anyone looking to sell theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by rtchorn
    It's also a good idea to get on a local aquarium forum.
    http://www.austinreefclub.com/index

man, i just spent 3 or 4 hours reading reef central... now i'm convinced i'm going sw soon.

whats the upkeep on these things per week? i would say 55 gallon or around there.... and the difficulty of anemones ? the clownfish / bta route may be where i go -- though this is all hot air with my current level of knowledge.

Do it..but expect to lose some money in the first few months. Learning what works and doesn't work is a process that usually means a few things will die.

BUT -- as with any tank it's all about creating a routine. You'll get into a routine of topping off the water, adding additives etc. and then you'll fine. The beauty of a well working tank is that it can be fairly hands off. And it'll get easier over time.

Quote Originally Posted by capty99
    man, i just spent 3 or 4 hours reading reef central... now i'm convinced i'm going sw soon.

whats the upkeep on these things per week? i would say 55 gallon or around there.... and the difficulty of anemones ? the clownfish / bta route may be where i go -- though this is all hot air with my current level of knowledge.
    you need to step the $#@! away from your fantasy tank right now!

i did the same damn thing my friend. it's perfectly normal. you need to understand that a good tank takes a LONG $#@!ING TIME. and you are going to kill a bunch of fish, several hundred dollars worth, before your tank is solid and stable and you can ignore it for the most part. took me about 3 years.

you won't be able to have anenomes until you have a stable tank, great lighting and very clean water. there's a lot of cool stuff you can do before getting to the point where you can keep anenomes. they are damn cool though! before i knew i shouldn't try them, i had a badass sebae anenome and a mated (matched? paired?) clown. he only lasted 2 months. :(

couple of things to consider:

what's your living situation? do you move every year? do you live where you are going to be for the next couple of years? moving your tank blows ass like no other. it's also pretty damn traumatic for the fish. the more cool $#@! you get in your tank and the more advanced it gets, the harder it is to move.

what is your budget? up front and monthly? think of it like a project car, mountain bike, barbecue pit. what $$$ do you have to get started? how much can you spend per month on a hobby? you need to buy a minimum to get started obviously, but it's a very upgradable, scalable hobby. it also takes a long time to see if you are on the right path. and fish are expensive, so you want to buy them one at a time, a month or so apart. you'll keep your 10g and turn it into a hospital/intro tank for new fish. it's not something you set up and it's all good. you'll spend $50/mo the first year just buying new $#@! because you want to. i still have a hard time walking out of a fish store w/o a fish!

if you dig it, you'll be getting a bigger, better, setup someday. if you don't, you don't want to have spent huge $$ up front on a hobby you aren't really into - and you have to be into it fully. you can't halfass a saltwater fishtank. everything will die and look like $#@!.

when you are ready to really get after it, i'll be happy to answer as many questions as i can. i'd like to think i can help shorten your learning curve by sharing my mistakes.

Anemones are a freaking pain in the ass. I tried them three times and each time they would end up planting themselves in the back corner of the tank and end up dying which polluted the tank leading to drastic water changes. My recommendation would be to start off with some live rock and some damsel fish. Your wallet will be hurting from the live rock by itself. You can start adding coral and fish ass you get your tank established. One thing that's always hard about starting a tank is wanting to fully stock it. With salt water, you need to get your tank established for at least a month before you start adding corals and expensive fish.

Damnit, I thought god did it in less than 7 days!

asshat Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines's Avatar
    I have a 75g that I bought used and did a whole tank move from Texas City to Austin about three years ago. Here was a picture after I bathed the tank in acid and got all the livestock set back up.

I'd be happy to chat with you about SW tanks but it is easy to become addicted and easy to spend a crapton of cash on lights, pumps, etc. My tank thrives on benign neglect and while I have lost some livestock like shrimp and three fish in the time I've had the tank, my corals are doing awesome. I test maybe once a week, add some simple alk and calcium solution every day or so and feed way too much. I am not religious with water changes.

Check out the For Sale sites on ARC, MAAST, the DWF site and Houston. Someone will is always getting out of the hobby and you can normally get a sweet deal. I've never had a nano and wish I could afford a 215 at this point. Get a tank, I will give you some frags once you get it up and running.

that's a badass tank vines! have you posted that before? i knew there was someone on here w/ a killer coral tank.

bathed in acid? can you expound on that? my tank is 10yo now and if i'm going to do a bigtime overhaul, i'd be interested in learning how i can really clean it up right.

asshat Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines's Avatar
    The tank was covered in algae, both good and bad. I had struck up a conversation with a guy at a local fish store who was going to help me set my tank up for free (saved me hundreds). He arrived with 2 gallon bottles of swimming pool acid and we bathed the tank and equipment in an acid solution until all the crap was burned off.

I wouldn't even try a 10g as your first tank (hell, I would be hesitant to try one after three years knowing myself). You will want a much larger one soon and as others have said, that small a volume actually requires more work than a larger tank. If you haven't read Waterkeeper's thread on the beginner forum on reefcentral, do so.

I have posted that tank pic before.

my dog broke into and ate a full bottle of fish food (flakes) . first aquarium mistake comes from the dog. awesome. yeah i'll be pm'ing you guys in a month or two. thanks.

my dog broke into and ate a full bottle of fish food (flakes) . first aquarium mistake comes from the dog. awesome. yeah i'll be pm'ing you guys in a month or two. thanks.

hahaha that is awesome. just make sure you get compatible fish. i had some 3 turquoise and 3 gold severums (see crappy pics below) that were saucer sized and i bought an exotic catfish and the stupid $#@!ing catfish at them. i was so pissed i threw the catfish into the pond behind the house i was living in and emptied out the tank. haven't had it up since but have been itching for it again recently (last couple of months)

oh and i was always experimenting with my tank every 3 years or and would purchase a whole new set of fish. throughout the redo i would experiment with different fish to see the temperaments and what not.

then like i said before this guy decided to eat my whole tank.

asshat Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club
    heres a blurry pic of my 75 gal chiclid tank

I had a 110 gallon cichild tank much like quagmire's above. at its finest, I had about 27-28 fish in it from all three african lakes and one from madagascar. the tank rocked and amazonia rocked with it. I learned so much from the experts there. sadly, my tank imploded after a few years when I took in a sick fish (looked fine when I brought it home) from amazonia and the whole tank pretty much was ravaged. it happened right after a bunch of the good folks at amazonia left and their stock went to $#@!. that place is nothing compared to what it used to be.

most of the advice here is strong... so I won't add much else.

asshat Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club
    I used to go to amazonia all the time, I remember they had those friday night sales and that place was packed. Haven't been there in forever. I noticed awhile back one of my fish has babies, didn't have time to get them out before they got eaten, damn cannibals.

I really like the tropheus chiclids, but never had much luck keeping them alive, plus they were really expensive.

I got my 75gal tank, stand, lights, filter off craiglist all for $250. If you are looking for a bigger tank definetly look there.

TRIED to go to amazonia and apparently its moved. Everything pulls up the airport location though, phone number is dead, and so I have no idea where it went.

when I was in law school, the wife and I would truck down to freebirds on 45th and dig on burritos then head over to Amazonia for their friday night happy hour. was a ton of fun.

asshat bigup2dahorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bigup2dahorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bigup2dahorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bigup2dahorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bigup2dahorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bigup2dahorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bigup2dahorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bigup2dahorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bigup2dahorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bigup2dahorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bigup2dahorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bigup2dahorns's Avatar
    great thread. one day i'd love one of those big aquariums. so relaxing to look at. i get fired up everytime i go to my car dealer, they have a huge one in the waiting area. i caught the fish guy (for lack of a more accurate term) in there one time servicing it and he said it ran about $25k for the setup.

NAACP National Champ Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks's Avatar
    when i move to the next house with the pool, i'm going back to cichlids in my 29g and my 50g... everything else is pretty boring to look at or expensive as hell...

i need to learn how to better mix cichlids... i end up with eaten cichlids and one bad-ass cichlid...

FWIW, don't get a Texas Cichlid - ever... unless you just like to see fish eat fish...

Quote Originally Posted by bigup2dahorns
    great thread. one day i'd love one of those big aquariums. so relaxing to look at. i get fired up everytime i go to my car dealer, they have a huge one in the waiting area. i caught the fish guy (for lack of a more accurate term) in there one time servicing it and he said it ran about $25k for the setup.
    go poke around on the reefcentral.com site. look for the "tank of the month" section and browse all the tanks. it's $#@!ing SICK how big and pimped out some systems are. just ridiculously awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHorn
    i need to learn how to better mix cichlids... i end up with eaten cichlids and one bad-ass cichlid...
    This is the state of my tank. I bought 6 1" cichlids about a year ago in a variety of colors from the same tank at the fish store. I now have 3 left, and they are all blue. I am pretty close to being down to 2, as the smallest one is missing parts of his tail.

i'm no cichlid expert whatsoever, but a friend of mine had a KILLER 200g cichlid tank. i asked him how he could keep so many fish in there w/ so many territorial/aggressive fish. apparently there's 2 ways to keep cichlids from killing one another: 1) ridiculously careful planning or 2) overcrowding. i guess the overcrowding keeps them from getting territorial about any single spot which helps a lot. anyone heard that as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jt
    i'm no cichlid expert whatsoever, but a friend of mine had a KILLER 200g cichlid tank. i asked him how he could keep so many fish in there w/ so many territorial/aggressive fish. apparently there's 2 ways to keep cichlids from killing one another: 1) ridiculously careful planning or 2) overcrowding. i guess the overcrowding keeps them from getting territorial about any single spot which helps a lot. anyone heard that as well?
    that's what I did, almost 30 fish in a 110 gallon, had to change 1/3 the water once per week. I was extremely aggresive on mixing kinds and ended up with a fish death every month or so. Seemed like the lowest fish on the totem pole got creamed by the group, but that was just part of it. I had peacocks, frontosas, red empress, bleekeri, tropheus, and on, and on, and on... the best part about an overcrowded tank is the movement, lots of movement. cichlids are great fish, but they are aggressive and fish deaths are a part of it, but on the flip side, it means you can always buy more fish.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHorn
    FWIW, don't get a Texas Cichlid - ever... unless you just like to see fish eat fish...

haha. that is one of the most aggressive american cichlids there are, those and the green terror cichlids. yikes.

what i did a lot with my 55 gallon was mixing and matching different cichlids and community fish to see what would work and what wouldnt. it was a blast but i saw a lot of fish die.

Here's the deal with africans -- there is no real way to plan what will match up. Most of them are pretty much identical in how much of a $#@! they can be. The differences in aggression between two different peacocks, for example, is hardly noticeable for the most part. Now you can say mbuna are more aggressive than peacocks and you're absolutely right -- but then figuring out which fish within a group of mbuna will work together is impossible. What tends to happen is you buy a fish..that particular fish is a $#@!er..you take fish back, or you have a dead fish. Now you could go buy that exact same species and have no problems. It just depends on the individual fish most of the times. Now obviously there are a few species known to be more of a $#@!...but for the most part africans tend to fall within party lines.

That's why pea$#@! tanks are so much harder to keep than mbuna. You've got to trial-and-error an endless number of combinations in order to find fish that will not only all get along...but that will feel comfortable enough to fully color up. My last pea$#@! tank was a 125 with 40 fish in it. I was working at amazonia so I could just take the best trade-ins when they came in..which is the way to go. But I probably cycled through 100 fish to find those perfect 40. This is where amazonias trade-in policy comes in handy.

With Africans there are a few different types of tanks that can live harmoniously. Problems occur when people try to mix these types of tanks into one. OR when people don't give fish adequate cover or food..or water conditions aren't ideal.

I love talking cichlids and have heard stories that go against every bit of conventional wisdom. There will be someone on this thread who swears up and down that his tropheus love hanging out with his peacocks. Or that guppies can live forever with Oscars. These are just good examples of the variables associated with fish keeping...and what makes it fun. BUT -- I would not try to copy something like that unless you're ready for some dead fish.

Best way to do cichlids -- pick a type you like and restrict the tank to that. Then build the tank around that type and go from there.

NAACP National Champ Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    haha. that is one of the most aggressive american cichlids there are, those and the green terror cichlids. yikes.
    had green terrors, too... no match for Texas. I named my male Texas "Tony Atlas"... (who remembers "You can't beat Texas"?)

Anyhow... my first cichlid tank was all kinds of mixed up... Texas, Green Terrors, Jack Dempsey, Red Oscar, Tiger Oscar, some Africans of various shape and color, firemouth, etc... with a few Gouramis for the top.

Green Terror was the first to actually eat live... then Texas caught on, but would only eat in the dark at first... then grew.

Gouramis, Oscars, Dempsey - dead... quick. Firemouth, black and yellow african (i forget which) purple (again, forget) and a couple of jewels held their own... but firemouth went down soon. black and yellow killed purple. the jewels held a spot, the black and yellow held a spot, and the Texans held a spot. Green terror f'd with black and yellow a lot... then one day, he jumped out of the tank. black and yellow as a BMF. after a tank move, it was the jewels, black and yellow and Texans...

anyway... the Texans ate every $#@!ing thing, and then got released in the bayou behind my house... ($#@! it, they're native... kinda).

oh, and Red Belly Pacu (while not cichlids and not piranhas, but allegedly related) get crazy when they outgrow the tank and start banging on $#@! (heaters, tops, sides...) one of mine knocked himself crazy and started swimming upside down for a few days then returning to normal...

anywho... i need a new crib, so i can set up a new cichclid tank... along with my man wall and whatnot.

my tropheus and peacocks got along just great actually

IMO, there is no better way to go than africans. color of saltwater in many, many cases and their social heirarchy is amazing which causes quite a bit of movement in the tank. couple that with a set up like quag's above -- white crushed coral bottom and white rocks, damn its impressive.

Actually need to stock up on some more fish, as I have had a few die since I set it up about a year ago, bottom of the pecking order got taken out. I scored all those rocks off of craigslist for $125, which is a hell of a deal, I remember paying 1$/lb at amazonia. Great fish place down the road from me now called keller farms, much like amazonia's setup they have a huge selection and seem pretty knowledgable.

I'm actually using pool filter sand as my substrate, crushed coral was much more expensive, got the idea from another forum.

Banned Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard.
    My final, most harmonious tank was mostly Frontosas, Tropheus (both Moori and Duboisi), a few Peacocks, with a couple of other species mixed in. The two Tropheus breeds would go at it sometimes, but there weren't that many fatalities. The coolest thing to me was that they'd breed and you could make a few bucks selling the fry to offset your expenses somewhat.

I had a $#@! ton of limestone in there to give everyone a nice territory and to keep the alkalinity up. I'm by no means an expert, but high PH really made a difference in coloration, breeding and overall happiness of the community.

so i did the big annual cleaning yesterday. 40% h2o change, scrub down the glass, took apart the sump and cleaned everything spotless, took all the live rock out and vacuumed all the sand (shouldn't do that very often w/ live sand).

also, took out 4 fish that were either getting too damn big, or too aggressive and traded them in. i know i talked aquatek down earlier in this thread, but they are the only place in town that takes trade ins, and damn if their tanks weren't a TON cleaner and had a LOT more variety than usual. i was truly impressed w/ them. AND they gave me 50% trade in, which is damn good. $75 for 4 fish!

here are the new fishies at my house:

diamond goby for keeping the sand clean

royal gramma - he's in hiding right now...a bit freaked out but he should be good

six line wrasse

pair of firefish - they do better in multiples...hope these guys live as i've had 2 or 3 before and they never survived

coral banded shrimp - these dudes are BADASS when they get bigger.

the guys i've had for a while:

sailfin blenny (pretty sure he's a sailfin)

goofy ass clownfish - dumb as a $#@!ing rock

hermit crab

my setup:

hang over siphon

sump filter boxes, power and light timer

sump w/ return pump, heater and protein skimmer

couple of pics of the cleaned tank - first w/ no flash and you can see the blue tint of the actinic lighting and the color of the live rock

with the flash gives you more detail, but washes out the color

no skirt

w/ skirt

Nice goby! One of my favs was my six-line but I bought the tank used and had no idea how old he was. I lost him after three years but while he was in the tank, he was super cool. He would ride the jet from the powerhead across the back glass which was funny to watch. It was like a waterslide for him.

I am down to four fish in my 75 and think I could add another safely but the purple tang that came with the tank kinda rules the roost and what I'd really like are docile wrasses which may not go over too well.

I see you don't have lights for coral but if you ever upgrade even slightly, I have plenty of zoas for you if you are interested.

asshat William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon's Avatar
    the first place we could see, servin' cold beer in the shade
    i know i talked aquatek down earlier in this thread, but they are the only place in town that takes trade ins..
    what about aquadome? they take trade-ins on freshwater... not sure about marine life though.

never even been to aquadome. i looked for it once or twice, but couldn't find it or it wasn't open or something. never went again - is it worth the effort?

vines - next upgrade is 78watt glo t5 ho double fluorescents. then a 150watt clip on mh. i want some corals for sure!

i do think i need to upgrade my sump and protein skimmer too though...i want a plexi box and i'd kind of like to make it myself.

asshat William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. William Cannon's Avatar
    I posted these pics on the last fish thread....

I had a planted tank a couple of years ago. I initially enjoyed "aquascaping", but when work got demanding the plants were too much to keep up with and it became a burden. So I ended up tearing it down and changing to a cichlid tank.

I kept a couple of plants in there, but the cichlids ended up eating them so I removed the log and built "limestone condos" in the back to give the fish more hiding places. I'll post pictures of the new setup with the additional cave condos in a couple of days.

never even been to aquadome. i looked for it once or twice, but couldn't find it or it wasn't open or something. never went again - is it worth the effort?
    definitely worth going to. my girls love going up stairs to the saltwater section.

i'll definitely hit it up then - way closer to my house than aquatek

Just an FYI, Aquadome is closed on mondays for restocking. I have a 60 gallon tank that is 1 1/2 months old so I'm in the process of buying fish right now and the aquadome people have been very helpful. I'm there at least twice a week. Great thread.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast