+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 1763

Thread: any aquarium homies out there?

asshat Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung's Avatar

asshat Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung Shaggy Silver Club Vin Chung's Avatar

asshat thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge's Avatar
    Wheelhouse!

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar

asshat thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge's Avatar
    facepalm.jpg

asshat loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco's Avatar
    Booooooo

I went ahead and bought a 40g tall and a 20g for a sump. I'm in a condo so I don't have a ton of space. I have my skimmer, 250 watts of metal halide, in take overflow and glass hole saw, 2x hydor moralistic 425gph wave pumps, and 500gph @ 5ft head return pump all on the way.

I am installing it as a view through so every thing will be plumbed through the sides. I have to get a little creative with hiding the plumbing though. I can't do any construction inside to accommodate the tank, because condo.

Once everything starts rolling in I'll start photo graphing the process.to share it here. I have been out of reef keeping for almost 10 years now so I am pretty excited. This will also be the smallest display tank I have ever done so I am a little nervous about it.

250 watts of MH 10k on a 40g tank that is 18 inches tall.
    Flow rate about 35.5 x
    Turnover rate about 13 x

This should let me keep anything, except for SPS.
    Last edited by E. Dowd; 01-06-2017 at 08:29 PM.

asshat loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco's Avatar
    If I had to do it over again, I would do a "Bean animal" overflow.

Looking forward to some pics!

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    look forward to following the build!

Too many auto correct typos to ignore. I had to correct them.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Dowd View Post
    I went ahead and bought a 40g tall and a 20g for a sump. I'm in a condo so I don't have a ton of space. I have my skimmer, 250 watts of metal halide, in take overflow and glass hole saw, 2x hydor koralia 425gph wave pumps, and 500gph @ 5ft head return pump all on the way.

I am installing it as a view through so every thing will be plumbed through the sides. I have to get a little creative with hiding the plumbing though. I can't do any construction inside to accommodate the tank, because condo.

Once everything starts rolling in I'll start photographing the process to share it here. I have been out of reef keeping for almost 10 years now so I am pretty excited. This will also be the smallest display tank I have ever done so I am a little nervous about it.

Flow rate about 35.5 x
    Turnover rate about 13 x

Question..

Brace yourselves for the MSPaint sump diagram
    My sump is going to be set up inlet /skimmer/ DSB/ heaters/ return.

conventionally the first baffle after the DSB is used as a overflow and the second a bubble trap.

I am considering swapping that and raising the first baffle 2 inches off the bottom of the sump and piling LR then crushed coral, then DSB against the rubble and first baffle. forcing flow through the sand versus letting the flow move across the sand. then lowering the second baffle to the bottom to use as a overflow into my heater chamber. Does anybody foresee flow issues with this? I suspect there is a reason that we dont see it in the hobby very often. get sand in my return pump maybe?
    Last edited by E. Dowd; 01-06-2017 at 11:06 PM.

don't think the water will flow through the sand. it will just go over the baffle.

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    don't think the water will flow through the sand. it will just go over the baffle.
    I guess if that happens it wouldn't be too horrible of a issue. But I suspect you are correct. I'll be pushing 500 gph across the sand, path of least resistance and such means it flows over the baffle versus through the sand.

It'll make a lot of noise when it overflows and as the volume in the return chamber gets lower (evaporation). I would make a remote Fuge with DSB before I did what you have diagramed.

Crushed coral/live rock (like half inch to inch chunks) vice sand would operate like you are wanting. You could possibly combine the two, and make a split baffle on the outflow side. The outflow would come over the top on the inside, down through the rubble and across the dsb. Dsb wouldn't be as deep, but might work?

Result either way is water would flow through the rubble vice backing up and going over the top. Something to think on, at least.

^^^ true. replace sand w/ rubble and you've got a good solution.

Heads up, Petco is doing $1 /gal tanks until the end of January.

Flow rate about 35.5 x
    Turnover rate about 13 x

There is nothing in these specs that says you can't keep SPS. Looks like you can keep even the most difficult SPS with that rig depending on the rest of the equipment.

I need more flow for SPS. Easily remedied.

Update if you guys care.

I ended up at my aunts house in Fernandina beach. The sand there is about 60% sand and 40% crushed Shell and slightly tan with pink and white in it. I went ahead and walked out her back door and collected close to 60 lbs while the tide was out going and packed it wet in a sterilight container. Its at home with a power head and a bio wheel inside of it. The sand is full of amphipods and codepods. I know the risk involved in this. I won't be adding any stock until it is fully cycled.

Plans were to go slow. I had pieces of the setup coming from all over and the skimmer wasn't supposed to ship for another 2 weeks. Well, the skimmer will be here Friday now.... as will the heater, filter socks, thermometer, 30 lbs of BRS dry Tonga plates, and 10 lbs of dry Fiji rock. This has me saying $#@! going slow. I have just kicked it in gear. Here is the plan:

Friday
    1. Plan aquascape and JB waterweld plates and bases together as desired.
    2. Build pendant and pulley for lighting.
    3. Install baffles in sump

Saturday
    1. Frame the stand.
    2. Drill tank and install bulkheads.
    3. Set up rig
    4. Aquascape

Sunday
    1. Run old pallet boards through planer at buddies house
    2. tung oil and seal boards

Whenever I feel like it
    1. Install exterior of stand and trim.
    2. Build access panel.
    I am going to use magnetic door closures on this. It will not be hinged. The front will be completely removable.
    Last edited by E. Dowd; 01-11-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Update if you guys care.

I ended up at my aunts house in Fernandina beach. The sand there is about 60% sand and 40% crushed Shell and slightly tan with pink and white in it. I went ahead and walked out her back door and collected close to 60 lbs while the tide was out going and packed it wet in a sterilight container. Its at home with a power head and a bio wheel inside of it. The sand is full of amphipods and codepods. I know the risk involved in this. I won't be adding any stock until it is fully cycled.
    I did this as a test tank, and it works fine. The only thing I will say is that the sand I got off Ft Lauderdale, ended up looking very tan. I never had a issue with pests on that tank, but I think I just got lucky.

When I did it again, I just bought dry sand in a good color and put in some good live rock to get things going.

If you stock slowly (which you should) it works just fine.

This stuff is what looks like a coarse, light brown sugar in color. I'm going to move it into the sump and probably buy something like Fiji pink for the display tank. But having g it in my sump will help things along nicely

You could always turn the lights on and start some of that rock while you wait.

I cannot believe I paid people, nor took the time to drive to that stupid $#@!ing aquadome on 71 to have tanks drilled. Had to deal with that nasty bitch behind the counter all those years.

I just drilled my first tank, installed the bulkhead, and overflow. Easiest thing ever.

little bastard is feeling froggy today. been out doing work for the last couple of hours. goby gets all freaked out when shrimp is that far out of the hole - he doesn't like it one bit!

Status update.

Stand is in. However, I had too much other $#@! to do so I did not go plane 30 sq ft of pallet board. I am doing that Thursday now.

Tank is in I had to leak check it and wanted to tune the pump a bit to make sure I don't need a ball valve. I dont. But, the pump is outpacing my overflow. The pump control on lowest setting is perfect. The overflow was gurgling like crazy. So I swapped out the elbow for a T put a cap on it and drilled a hole. It's quiet now. All of my PVC is only slipped or screwd together at this point.

I'm probably going to need a check valve. Power loss back syphons about 6 or 7 gallons...... Man I $#@!ed that all up.

Anyhow. I'm getting close. At least it has water in it. Tap water, until I stick a 20 ft hose in it and syphon it all out the window here in a minute.

Keep on keeping on. Mine got put on hold for a truck, so (still) living vicariously through y'all.

New obsession for me. SILENCE MOTHER $#@!ER!!!!!!!! Of course my tank is fine. However, the slightest whisper of a trickle gets my chick whining non stop. "It's loud" turns the television up to buster rhymes in a donk levels. I do nothing, then minutes later, "whatever you just did you should undo it because it's really loud now.". She turns the TV up to Pflugerville tinseltown audience levels of volume. Ten minutes later I still have changed nothing and she will internally theorize that I have made yet another noisy change. She then turns on the 5.1 Polk system and has the neighbor knocking on my door because as he states "as much as I like the goonies. I'd rather not just listen to it."

So the single overflow pipe is going to suffice for a bit. But, it will soon be swapped out for a bean animal. I should have done this at the begining. Hopefully that will shut her $#@!ing mouth.

Two things I am good at.... and they are not crabcakes and football

Spoiler!

for some reason, i can't get my cheato to grow. no clue why.

for some reason, i can't get my cheato to grow. no clue why.
    You have a good skimmer and do water changes..... me not so much.

I also have the fuge lighted 24/7

Hopefully that will shut her $#@!ing mouth.

asshat HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4's Avatar
    Ya I was thinking that jt's tank may be too clean. I am far from an expert but in my setup the cheato would grow out of control in a couple of months. I was terrible at water changes. Also ran fuge light 24/7.

well, there's plenty of hair algae and other algae in the main tank, so i'm not sure why the chaeto in the fuge doesn't grow. light is on for 14hrs.

i do have a great skimmer, but change about 15gal every other month or so.

well, there's plenty of hair algae and other algae in the main tank, so i'm not sure why the chaeto in the fuge doesn't grow. light is on for 14hrs.

Between the Kole, the Fox Faced Rabbit fish, and the cheato I rarely have any green algae in the display tank. It's been 4 months since I did a water change and my skimmer has been maddeningly inconsistent.

sanctimonious sonofabitch ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind's Avatar
    Where there's smoke there's fire. So look for the smoke

Phosphate level, yo. What are you testing for and what kits are you using?

This is my cheato ball after pulling 2/3rds of it out and going on a bristle worm enrampagement.

Most of the worms are in the section to the right. There was a kickball-sized chunk of cheato in there. I didn't even try to weed them out, just pulled the whole ball out. Put back in a golf ball sized piece, rinse/repeat.

I used to have dragon's breath in there too, but the sand sifting starfish housed it! Just little scraps left

Quote Originally Posted by ChampKind View Post
    Phosphate level, yo. What are you testing for and what kits are you using?
    i can't get phosphate up at all. usually at 0. was at .03 last i checked a couple of weeks ago. how do i get that up?

use hanna checkers for ph, calcium and alkalinity every other day.

sanctimonious sonofabitch ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind Probably Shaggy upper class ChampKind's Avatar
    Where there's smoke there's fire. So look for the smoke
    Get an ELOS kit and check phosphates. Those hanna kits aren't that good

damn son, that looks really good. I like the placement and it seems like your corals are doing well. My corals don't seem to grow at all.

Dang jt that's amazing looking !!!

Here is my current progress.

Still haven't finished the stand.
    Built a new flat 16 inch overflow.
    Drilled for bean animal versus original durso.
    Sump baffles are all in place.
    Shimmed stand and shimmed tank platform. Both are dead on level.
    Dry fit all plumbing, except for my street elbows for the overflow.
    Wasted money on EMT for lighting hanger.
    Changed mind to using steel gas pipe to hang light. 5x the cost of EMT. Light years safer and better looking.
    Pallet boards are all planed off.
    I "acquired " magnetic panel closures from work. This is so I don't have to hinge in doors and fight the 20g long sump in and out. I'll put some pictures up of that when I finish up.

Bean animal drain with my diy acrylic overflow are into place. PVC is all cemented. Tight fit in the skimmer end of the sump. I managed to fit it all and keep it serviceable. The skimmer is sitting about two inches too low.

Only thing I have left operationally is to replace the white PVC inside of the overflow with black PVC. Those elbows are in a UPS truck and will be here by the end of the week.

This thing is so quiet I forget it's running. I keep wanting to get up and make sure my pump is running.....
    Thanks to loco for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by loco View Post
    If I had to do it over again, I would do a "Bean animal" overflow.

Looking forward to some pics!
    I have been out of the aquarium game since just before bean animal shared his creation. It handles the noise, keeping my chick quiet and I love having backups in case of drain emergency. I cannot believe I considered an aquarium in a second floor condo without knowing of a solid reliable backup drain system.
    Last edited by E. Dowd; 01-24-2017 at 07:01 PM.

what are you going to do w/ the stand? leave it untreated?

I planed about 100sq ft of pallet board. Some oak, walnut, ash, and pine. Right now it's only cycling tap water. Friday I am draining it and coating the inside with killz then putting up 1/16 luan on the outside as a backing to the pallet boards. Then end with all of the plumbing will also get the lighting. I am boxing in all of the plumbing but screwing the boards on that end in versus glue and nail. I want to be able to access the plumbing if need be. I also plan on moving the sump baffle for the skimmer to leave more room in there. It all fit, but there is no need for it to be that tight of a fit.

At least that's the plan for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Hopefully by Sunday evening I'll have salt water in there with some Fiji pink sand and my rock. I'd be happy if I get that far.
    Last edited by E. Dowd; 01-25-2017 at 01:21 AM.

Status update:. This thing is getting water tonight.

Still have the hood to build. I am waiting on a 12v cooling thermostat. I am writing it to two 12v computer fans and building that all into the hood with my MH and blue LED's. When and if the water temp gets to 77, the fans will both kick on and pull air across the water droping the temp back to 77. That's gonna be a few more days I think in that. It will be a lot more tedious build fitting fans, 250 watts of MH with the reflector and two 20" blue LED bars into it. The stand was build in the fly for the most part. I'll have to put some planning into the hood.
    Last edited by E. Dowd; 01-28-2017 at 05:35 PM.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast