+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 157 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Franklin BBQ

asshat BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo's Avatar
    making you feel inferior because you're on the grill b
    sorry little late as its 1:00 but got back to the office and had to put out some fires. Unfortunately no pics were taken as I didn't have my camera with me and the iphone camera is damn near worthless. (yes epic fail) I went with Bigbevo76 and we both loved it. I will echo the best in Austin comments by far and pending further review (need to try the ribs) I would rank it up there with Luling City Market, Snows, and Coopers for the best Q in the area.

I don't have the words to describe how freakin awesome this place is. Had the pulled pork and brisket combo plate with potato salad and coleslaw. As previously report Aaron is super friendly and appreciative of all the attention he is getting. He admitted that he is starting to get weeded and maybe should get someone to help. Any of the shaggy unemployed this may be an opportunity to work for some BBQ.

Sadly the pork ribs were not quite ready so I missed out on those. I appreciate his commitment to quality though as he said he didn't want to serve me ribs a little on the chewy side. The pork butt was moist and had some nice bark on it and very very tender. Not stringy at all. I decided to pair that with a little of his pork labeled sauce which had some good spice to it along with a vinegary (almost like a franks red hot) taste. It paired really well with the pork.

On to the brisket. oohh my the brisket. Given the choice between fatty and lean, I rolled fatty brisket. Though previously described as peppery, I thought it had more of a salty taste than a heavy pepper taste which was fine by me. The biggest win here on the brisket was how moist it was. The meat was damn near buttery melt in the mouth. It was so moist and tender the juice just drips down your face. It had a great smoke flavor but not overpowering. The slices had a good pull and were very very tender. Brisket this moist and tender should be outlawed. You can tell its a true backyard type BBQ and I mean that in the best way. He truely labors over the meat and the quality shines through.

I would love to see as the operation begins to expand, if his quality will stay the same. Took a look at the pits and he runs low and slow at 225 so this guy must be pulling all nighters and in that neighborhood BigBevo76 and I joked that he needs to be packin some heat. I think he rocks oak at least thats the best I could tell.

cliff notes

went to franklin's and had an orgasmic bbq experience
    everyone needs to $#@!ing go like right now
    why the hell are you waiting

asshat Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog's Avatar
    Somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert
    T&G Canoes and Kayaks is right next door, so it's my idea of Nirvana.

asshat bigbevo76 Shaggy Bronze Club bigbevo76 Shaggy Bronze Club bigbevo76 Shaggy Bronze Club bigbevo76 Shaggy Bronze Club bigbevo76 Shaggy Bronze Club bigbevo76 Shaggy Bronze Club bigbevo76 Shaggy Bronze Club bigbevo76 Shaggy Bronze Club bigbevo76 Shaggy Bronze Club bigbevo76 Shaggy Bronze Club bigbevo76 Shaggy Bronze Club bigbevo76's Avatar
    flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong
    I agree with ballamatic...very good place. If he can keep up the quality control then there is no reason this couldn't be considered among the best BBQ in the state. It beats any place in Austin for sure...now this is just based off pulled pork (which is hard to come by in Austin) and brisket. The brisket is really what will put this place on the map.

asshat CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan's Avatar
    BigBevo is spot on about the brisket being the item that will put Franklin on the map. The FullCustomBBQ blog flat out said that the brisket was perfect and I agree. Unfortunately I went there this afternoon to pick up brisket and ribs for the family dinner tonight and he was OUT OF BRISKET!

Aaron - super nice guy, btw - told me that he was busy as hell today (the day after the FCBBQ review came out) and that's why he ran out of the brisket. But this is how cool this guy is: I bought ribs and sausage (since there was no brisket) and the dude gave me a pile of pulled pork FOR FREE as an apology for not having brisket. How can you not like a place/guy like that?

So here's a tip: call ahead if you're going there later in the afternoon to grab something to eat and he'll hold some back for you. No doubt about it, this place is the tits.

asshat Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand's Avatar
    Goddamn, I went for a late lunch today and he was sold out. This is why I didn't start a thread about Franklin--I was afraid you buncha $#@!s would stampede the place and take my lunch out from underneath me.

Somebody owes me some brisket.

asshat Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHornFan
    BigBevo is spot on about the brisket being the item that will put Franklin on the map. The FullCustomBBQ blog flat out said that the brisket was perfect and I agree. Unfortunately I went there this afternoon to pick up brisket and ribs for the family dinner tonight and he was OUT OF BRISKET! :eek1:

Aaron - super nice guy, btw - told me that he was busy as hell today (the day after the FCBBQ review came out) and that's why he ran out of the brisket. But this is how cool this guy is: I bought ribs and sausage (since there was no brisket) and the dude gave me a pile of pulled pork FOR FREE as an apology for not having brisket. How can you not like a place/guy like that?

So here's a tip: call ahead if you're going there later in the afternoon to grab something to eat and he'll hold some back for you. No doubt about it, this place is the tits.
    You must've stopped by shortly before I did. I guess we just missed each other.

asshat CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmand
    Goddamn, I went for a late lunch today and he was sold out. This is why I didn't start a thread about Franklin--I was afraid you buncha $#@!s would stampede the place and take my lunch out from underneath me.

Somebody owes me some brisket.
    Even worse, he got a great write up in BBQ food blog. He told me that he's getting so busy that he may need to hire some help. He also told me that he's learning what his busy days/slow days are so he can cook more/less meat.

I got there around noon yesterday and it was a 20 minute wait. The barbecue was worth the wait.

asshat Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog's Avatar
    Drove by on the upper deck this morning, the pit was smoking like crazy.

asshat DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallamaticBevo
    PSA it's Wednesday! Open for bidness! Heading down there about 11:30 holla!
    And promptly at 11:40am, all the meat in the joint was gone.

asshat BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo's Avatar
    making you feel inferior because you're on the grill b
    Quote Originally Posted by DieUCLA98
    And promptly at 11:40am, all the meat in the joint was gone.

if only he had the ribs ready when i was there!! He could have shut down early and caught a flick

asshat DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98's Avatar
    Just made the trip down there to pick up lunch. $#@!ing fantastic bbq. The brisket was lights out, the pulled pork was as moist as I've ever had, and the pork rib had tons of flavor w/o overpowering the meat. The expresso sauce is really good, surprisingly so. The beans are quite good as well.

I told him about Shaggy and he said that's all he's been hearing for the 3 weeks he's been open. Said he might be stopping by... I told him he'd be a hero.

I could've used a call.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumBarnes
    I could've used a call.
    You stood me up at Torchy's last night. We're through.

asshat ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas's Avatar
    I was down with the 'cue from this joint until I saw a picture of him.

Never trust a skinny cook...

^ He's a character, that's for a sure. Really nice guy, though, and hell of a cook.

Giada is skinny and I'd trust her with my meat.

asshat shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club
    The brisket and ribs have a tasty crunchy outer shell. Highly recommended! Also try the the thick house sauce, it's made with espresso.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggybevo
    The brisket and ribs have a tasty crunchy outer shell. Highly recommended! Also try the the thick house sauce, it's made with espresso.
    The espresso sauce is off the charts. Dude should bottle and sell it.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Jesus built my car. Its a love affair. Mainly Jesus and my hot rod.
    I made a last minute unplanned stop in yesterday (in the rain). He said the Shaggy response has been amazing & I cautioned him to not order too much because the fascination may die down a bit & he's then got too much product.

He was actually down to his last 3 or 4 slices of brisket, 2 links & about one sammich worth of pulled pork. He gave me the whole bag & wouldn't take any compensation for it (there were 3 people who stopped in just after me & when he told them he was sold out, their faces all looked like they'd just found our their dog was dead).

All the vac pacs are selected one @ a time & he prefers a pack date of about 40 days old for aging. The smoker came from John Mueller & he made everything on both trailers (the one with the smoker is barely street legal so he could get it to the current location).

He had actually gone through his busiest day & was surprised by it, considering the $#@!ty weather we had on Friday. He worked for Mueller for about 1.5 years & said that he's been doing historical renovations & rebuilding, so everything in both trailers was a complete 'in house' build or repair.

As stated, it was an unplanned stop & I didn't have my camera with me.

asshat preznick555 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. preznick555 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. preznick555 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. preznick555 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. preznick555 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. preznick555 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. preznick555 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. preznick555 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. preznick555 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. preznick555 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. preznick555 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. preznick555's Avatar

asshat El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri's Avatar
    tried it out on Sunday, the brisket was greatness, but he had run out of pork ribs dammit.

i'm damn glad this place is open and i don't have to drive to Lockhart for some legit BBQ

asshat Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain's Avatar
    I just got back from my inaugural trip. I ended up getting the two meat plate, lean brisket and ribs, sides were beans and potato salad. Like everyone had said before, the brisket is pretty much perfect. The ribs were really good as well. The one I got was freaking huge. The burnt ends he gives you to taste were awesome. I just wanted a bag of those to munch on. We made sure to go early (11:15) and there wasn't any issue with getting the food we wanted.

He did mention that last Saturday he had all the meat he could put on the smoker and he ran out of food at 1:45pm. His hours are 11:00am - 4:00 pm.

I'm going tomorrow. I've been thinking about that brisket for two weeks -he'd run out by the time I got there last week - and I feel like a crack addict.

bunghole Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard.
    pretty sure my brother and I were there right after you, Blain. I can confirm all of this -- brisket was among the top 3 I've had, sausage was great, ribs were a little underseasoned IMO but tender as all get out. Visual aides to tease all y'all:

I might have been there eating my ribs and brisket by myself around the same time y'all were there. When I got there the line was only about five or so deep, but right after that the lunch crunch hit. My timing was good today because he got slammed.

Kinda sucks for me that the word is out.

Niiiiice.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Jesus built my car. Its a love affair. Mainly Jesus and my hot rod.
    Mingus, nice pics. What kind of camera is it (or @ a minimum, what's your resolution)?

Did any of y'all mention that you were from the internets?

asshat crazyhornsfan grows his own roses crazyhornsfan grows his own roses crazyhornsfan grows his own roses crazyhornsfan grows his own roses crazyhornsfan grows his own roses crazyhornsfan grows his own roses crazyhornsfan grows his own roses crazyhornsfan grows his own roses crazyhornsfan grows his own roses crazyhornsfan grows his own roses crazyhornsfan grows his own roses crazyhornsfan's Avatar
    I was the Asian guy in line today with the other big dude around the same time as you guys. I commented to my friend that there's got to be some shagsters here.

I had the 2 meat plate with brisket and pork ribs, and oh my were the pork ribs divine. Meat slid right off the bone, and in one bite, i actually bit through the bone it was so tender. Espresso sauce was a nice touch with the brisket, which were incredibly moist. I mentioned to Aaron that we had heard of the joint through shaggy, and he slid the two of us two tips of brisket to snack on.

asshat tigolbiddies Shaggy Bronze Club tigolbiddies Shaggy Bronze Club tigolbiddies Shaggy Bronze Club tigolbiddies Shaggy Bronze Club tigolbiddies Shaggy Bronze Club tigolbiddies Shaggy Bronze Club tigolbiddies Shaggy Bronze Club tigolbiddies Shaggy Bronze Club tigolbiddies Shaggy Bronze Club tigolbiddies Shaggy Bronze Club tigolbiddies Shaggy Bronze Club tigolbiddies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmand
    Yes, that's right. I was confusing the scrip club and the dildo shop.
    Sig worthy.

asshat Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al's Avatar
    I will be there Friday with my dad.

bunghole Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard. Mingus slams and goes hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCAAFBALLROX
    Mingus, nice pics. What kind of camera is it (or @ a minimum, what's your resolution)?

Did any of y'all mention that you were from the internets?
    phone camera... Nexus One, 5mp. Not too shabby.

asshat Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain's Avatar
    Yeah, I was at the full table in the corner. I brought 6 people, I should be good in my "introduce people to his bbq" catagory.

I was the first person there for lunch today. It was fantastic as I imagined it would be.

The brisket was outstanding...no more trips to Lockhart for awhile. The sausage was really good as well, especially with the sauce on it. Ribs were very flavorful but I didn't get a real meaty one.

I'll be back...a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Blain
    Yeah, I was at the full table in the corner. I brought 6 people, I should be good in my "introduce people to his bbq" catagory.
    I $#@!ing knew it!

I was the one loser eating by his lonesome. My only complaint: it was a swordfight today.

asshat Pepper Brooks Shaggy Silver Club Pepper Brooks Shaggy Silver Club Pepper Brooks Shaggy Silver Club Pepper Brooks Shaggy Silver Club Pepper Brooks Shaggy Silver Club Pepper Brooks Shaggy Silver Club Pepper Brooks Shaggy Silver Club Pepper Brooks Shaggy Silver Club Pepper Brooks Shaggy Silver Club Pepper Brooks Shaggy Silver Club Pepper Brooks Shaggy Silver Club Pepper Brooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Tripper
    Because I live in a god forsaken place with crappy barbecue, I hate all of you.
    +1 stuck in Houston, weather is $#@!ty, no good bbq, and I don't feel like cooking any myself this weekend.

asshat Jive Turkey Probably Shaggy upper class Jive Turkey Probably Shaggy upper class Jive Turkey Probably Shaggy upper class Jive Turkey Probably Shaggy upper class Jive Turkey Probably Shaggy upper class Jive Turkey Probably Shaggy upper class Jive Turkey Probably Shaggy upper class Jive Turkey Probably Shaggy upper class Jive Turkey Probably Shaggy upper class Jive Turkey Probably Shaggy upper class Jive Turkey Probably Shaggy upper class Jive Turkey's Avatar
    The nurturing biosphere of the mothership.
    sounds like i better come down and try this joint before Texas Monthly does a big piece on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
    sounds like i better come down and try this joint before Texas Monthly does a big piece on it.
    Yeah, TM would be sure to $#@! up a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CPHornFan
    Yeah, TM would be sure to $#@! up a good thing.
    I want TM to do a thing about it. He's doing fine right now, but I think a lot of his momentum is going to die down. He is the hot place right now but once everyone's tried it and time passes, there will be a new place to go. He is going to need all the help he can get to survive that $#@!ty location.

Quote Originally Posted by PatronSaint
    I want TM to do a thing about it. He's doing fine right now, but I think a lot of his momentum is going to die down. He is the hot place right now but once everyone's tried it and time passes, there will be a new place to go. He is going to need all the help he can get to survive that $#@!ty location.
    There really won't be a new place to go. Austin proper is starved for good cue.

I will say this, however. What he's doing right now is great, but not TOO difficult. Lots of people on this board, except RabidHorn's wife, could hammer out a few racks of ribs and enough briskets to feed people for a few hours/day. the test will be if he can transition business and quality-wise as he gets more popular. He WILL lose momentum and popularity if people can only get lunch there, have to wait longer than their break allows, and then maybe not get the food they came to purchase.

he needs to be extending his production, etc. like yesterday.

asshat pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo's Avatar
    hit it up today with a few friends and walked away very impressed. went around 1145 and the crowd wasn't too bad, about 5 or 6 people deep. we said screw the sides and went all meat:

before:

after:

Chieftain of Aggression Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan's Avatar
    "After" my ass. I still see meat on that rib up top, and there's a good fattymeatychunkobrisket on the paper right up front.

Why do you hate America?

asshat Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw's Avatar
    also went today, first time

there was one guy there finishing a sandwich as we got there at about 11:15

i knew i was in for something good when i tasted the burnt end he gave me while we ordered

got fatty brisket, sausage, and ribs

i was a bit concerned that maybe it was being a bit overhyped because it was filling such a huge void in austin, and that maybe people were overreacting with the comparisons to lockhart, etc

this place is not overhyped. it is completely legit

only thing that wasnt just right was that the ribs were more peppery than i like, but that is nitpicking. everything i had was a solid A

i hope he is successful enough to be able to get his operation into a building, if thats what he wants to do. aaron is super friendly guy, he came over and chatted with us for a while as we were eating. it sounds like he is stilll getting the feel of it, and his days on site are getting longer and longer as he goes

Damnit....I need to get my ass there NOW!!!!

Chieftain of Aggression Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan's Avatar
    My plan is to go tomorrow with a coupla lawyers from work, and have us a "business meeting."

asshat pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo slams and goes hard. pray4mojo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisketexan
    "After" my ass. I still see meat on that rib up top, and there's a good fattymeatychunkobrisket on the paper right up front.

Why do you hate America?

ha, as soon as I took it I knew there would be issues with the rib. it was taken care of, fear not. and the burnt piece was dessert. he gave us a good sized end piece to cap off our platter-o-meat.

btw, there is going to be a nice greasy film on those picnic tables before long.

Sandwich Eater Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank's Avatar
    How were the beans?

Quote Originally Posted by Brisketexan

Why do you hate America?

Brisketexan: you just became a personal hero of mine with that response. You are a Great American err, better make that Texan.

To quote Scottsins
    I will say this, however. What he's doing right now is great, but not TOO difficult. Lots of people on this board, except RabidHorn's wife, could hammer out a few racks of ribs and enough briskets to feed people for a few hours/day. the test will be if he can transition business and quality-wise as he gets more popular. He WILL lose momentum and popularity if people can only get lunch there, have to wait longer than their break allows, and then maybe not get the food they came to purchase. he needs to be extending his production, etc. like yesterday.
    You make a good point about people having to wait too long (if that's really happening or starts to happen) and needing to increase production.

I picked up a pile of meat for family dinner tonight and chatted w/ Aaron about how things are doing. It's important to note that he's only been doing this for just over a month and is still figuring out which days are his busiest, how much meat to cook on given days, etc. For example, the trend of Wednesdays being his busiest days is new. It's probably the result of him being closed on Mon & Tues and people needing their brisket fixes, but this is a recent trend. I imagine that he'll really beef up production (sorry, couldn't help it) on Wednedays from now on. Right now he's going through about 150 lbs of brisket per day. Also, he doesn't have any help at the moment. At this rate he's gonna need to hire someone soon.

Anyway, the point is that he's still learning this thing. He seems like a bright guy and I have a feeling that he'll adjust accordingly. If not, and if he goes out of business, I'm gonna kidnap him, force him to live in my shed and be my personal brisket slave.

^
    It puts the rub on the brisket and ribs, or else it gets the hose again!!!!!

asshat Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines's Avatar
    I had lunch with Straw today and really liked it. I hate to be categorical with only one try but it was easily the best que I have had in Austin in a long while.

The ribs were no where near as peppered as Louis "Stink-Eye" Mueller's in Taylor and the rub had some other flavors that offset the pepper that was there. The rib was tender and getting the first off the smoker meant it was super moist. The bark on the brisket pieces we had was off the chart. I think his brisket rub has a good slug of brown sugar in it to make it char so well but it was not dried out. We just split a link of the sausage which was also very good. The beans were ok but not City Market good in my estimation. Who needs sides though?

Aaron came over to our table while we ate between customers and was very outgoing and interested in feedback. He says he is going to a second round of briskets and is having to increase his temp a little to go from 18hours to more like 12 and he was still working it out. The gauges showed 200 and 190 when I looked. He said he was at the trailer until midnight this morning and got back at five. Now that is unsustainable for most people so I hope he gets some help and doesn't get bombed with a TM or any other big write-up until he has the kinks worked out (not that I saw any).

Spending 2 hours driving back and forth to Luling to eat is not going to happen as often now since it will be easier to spend two hours eating his fine que and drinking there.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 157 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast