+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 158 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Franklin BBQ

Chieftain of Aggression Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan's Avatar
    Okay, I finally went -- here's my review (by the way, if you were there today between 11:30-12:30, we were at the table that had the ONLY cute girl in the place sitting with us -- she's my associate, so be nice).

Brisket -- was only okay. Now, let me explain -- Aaron told us as we got to the window that the brisket wasn't up to snuff today. He explained that the fire got away from him between 2:30-6:30 last night, and got too hot, making the brisket too crusty (who among us HASN'T that happened to?). And, he was right. It WAS too crusty. However, on the pieces that withstood the heat, it was quite good. Good flavor, etc. -- certainly good enough to convince me to go back and try it on a day when he's more "on." It actually reminded me of my brisket, a little bit. And importantly, I appreciate his perfectionism and honesty.

Ribs -- very good. Nicely tender without being shredded, good smoke flavor. Rub was the right amount of peppery. Could have used a bit more salt, though.

Sausage -- excellent. Absolutely awesome. I'd be happy just swinging through and picking up a couple of sausage wraps someday.

Tater salad -- actually, really good. I like a mustard-y tater salad, and his fits the bill without being a pureed mess.

Beans -- solid. Hard to grade these -- I've never really had beans that made me scream with joy, but I have had bad ones. And these are far from bad.

Sauces -- I didn't put any on my meat, but I tasted them all. The sweet was a bit sweet for me, didn't quite work. Really liked the espresso sauce -- had a bold and distinctive flavor. The pork sauce is probably really good on the pulled pork (which he didn't have today).

All in all, I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. I imagine that on a better day, it's damn near a 10.

I may take the boy there tomorrow, as we're having a "guys weekend" while mom and sis are out of town.

asshat DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisketexan
    Okay, I finally went -- here's my review (by the way, if you were there today between 11:30-12:30, we were at the table that had the ONLY cute girl in the place sitting with us -- she's my associate, so be nice).
    You gotta be kidding me.... When the two suits sat down, I was thinking to myself that one of them had to be Brisketexan and the other Smoky B. I was half right. Which white haired mustache were you?

And she was, in fact, the only cute girl in the joint. I stared at her ass for a while.

I was the ONLY Indian in the joint.

asshat CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DieUCLA98
    You gotta be kidding me.... When the two suits sat down, I was thinking to myself that one of them had to be Brisketexan and the other Smoky B. I was half right. Which white haired mustache were you?

And she was, in fact, the only cute girl in the joint. I stared at her ass for a while.

You weren't the only one. And y'all are right; she is cute.

asshat elguapo Shaggy Bronze Club elguapo Shaggy Bronze Club elguapo Shaggy Bronze Club elguapo Shaggy Bronze Club elguapo Shaggy Bronze Club elguapo Shaggy Bronze Club elguapo Shaggy Bronze Club elguapo Shaggy Bronze Club elguapo Shaggy Bronze Club elguapo Shaggy Bronze Club elguapo Shaggy Bronze Club elguapo's Avatar
    I stared at her ass for a while.
    +1

I could have used a call. That said, you must have left right before I got there. I echo brisket's comments about the brisket. I ordered a half-pound of fatty brisket and he was working on the very end of a point. So he gave me a whole bunch of the burnt stuff and another half-pound off a freshly unwrapped brisket. In all, I got about a pound of it. The burnt stuff was, indeed, too burnt. Parts were tough to the point of being pretty much inedible. The stuff in the middle was very, very good. Nice and tender without shredding apart.

The ribs blew me away. In all seriousness, those might have been the best pork ribs I have ever eaten. About a half second after taking my first bite I involuntarily said, "No way." I.e., unbelievably good.

Didn't try the sausage, but I will next time and if his brisket is that good on an off day, I have got to go back on a good one. Maybe tomorrow.

He needs to start stocking Big Red. Points off for that oversight. Also for greeting everyone with a "Heeeeeyyyyy!" This barbecue, bud. Let's leave the gay out of it.

And importantly, I appreciate his perfectionism and honesty.
    Oh, and this. This is what is going to keep me coming back more than anything else. Any one of the "famous" places in Lockhart, Luling, Taylor, Llano, etc. would try to pass sub-par meat off as their regular thing and not say a word about it. Aaron was up front with every person who walked up to the window about the brisket. That's good business.

You gotta be kidding me.... When the two suits sat down, I was thinking to myself that one of them had to be Brisketexan and the other Smoky B.
    I'm going tomorrow. I'm taking my almost two year old who isn't quite a fan of brisket that I'd hoped he'd be. Makes me doubt his genes.

asshat Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog's Avatar
    Somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert
    Sauces -- I didn't put any on my meat, but I tasted them all. Really liked the espresso sauce -- had a bold and distinctive flavor.
    He needs to bottle it and market the $#@! outta that espresso sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by CPHornFan
    You weren't the only one. And y'all are right; she is cute.
    Co-signed

asshat DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smoky b
    I'm going tomorrow. I'm taking my almost two year old who isn't quite a fan of brisket that I'd hoped he'd be. Makes me doubt his genes.
    Give him time, he'll come around. Or he really isn't yours... Whichever.

Seems like there was quite the shaggy contingent there today.

asshat Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog's Avatar
    ^
    I was going, but my $#@!ing gout flared up. Can't eat BBQ when it happens.
    Goddamn Northern European genetic bull$#@!.

asshat Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw's Avatar
    went back today, ordered more sausage this time, i think that is the standout item there

added a couple-three ribs with lots of bark off the short end for me, and some fatty brisket. he said he jacked up the brisket and it was his first mistake since he's been open. still tasted great

tried the beans yesterday, so i tried the potato salad today, very mustardy but otherwise bland and unremarkable. needed salt. wouldnt get it again

the pork sauce mixed with the hot sauce is a thing of absolute greatness

after we ate he took me and vines into the pit shed and explaned his work on the pit aned what he planned to do on it going forward

if you havent been i implore you, go

Chieftain of Aggression Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan's Avatar
    When the two suits sat down, I was thinking to myself that one of them had to be Brisketexan and the other Smoky B. I was half right. Which white haired mustache were you?
    Heh. Those were the old farts. I was the younger messican coonass in the jeans (I didn't have a pretrial hearing today like they did). The gray haired mustache across from me was my partner. My associate was sitting next to me.

I won't tell her what any of y'all think of her. It'll just go to her head. And anyway, no talking about her that way -- she's like my sister, and a very cool chick (and a damned fine lawyer, too, but that's not germane to this subject).

I figured we were surrounded by Shagsters, but I wasn't going to stand up and announce my presence -- "so, are any of y'all from the internets?"

Oh, and which one of you was the VERY white dude in the unfortunate pink polo shirt? Fess up . . . .

Oh, and which one of you was the VERY white dude in the unfortunate pink polo shirt? Fess up . . . .
    I would fit that description I think

asshat CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw
    went back today, ordered more sausage this time, i think that is the standout item there

added a couple-three ribs with lots of bark off the short end for me, and some fatty brisket. he said he jacked up the brisket and it was his first mistake since he's been open. still tasted great

tried the beans yesterday, so i tried the potato salad today, very mustardy but otherwise bland and unremarkable. needed salt. wouldnt get it again

the pork sauce mixed with the hot sauce is a thing of absolute greatness

after we ate he took me and vines into the pit shed and explaned his work on the pit aned what he planned to do on it going forward

if you havent been i implore you, go
    Ha, I saw you standing in line with the beer and wondered if you were a shagster.

Come to think of it, when I pulled up there were several people waiting in thier cars for friends. People seemed to get out of their cars at close to the same time and walk over to the trailer and it seemed like a lot of people were looking at each other with an "Are you from Shaggy?" look on their faces.

And I don't know who the guy in the pink shirt was, but he certainly didn't have the shagster look to him. More like a "Hi, I'm a total douche look", which beat the homeless guy look I was going for today.

asshat G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4's Avatar
    I had planned on going out around noon, but got held up with meetings and putting out a couple of fires so I couldn't make it until around 2. Of course, he was mostly out of everything except for chopped beef and sausage.

So, I ordered the chopped beef and sausage sandwich (I know - major fail) and then 3 extra links of sausage to take home. But goddamn was the sandwich good. The espresso sauce is excellent.

The sausage. Jesus H Christ is it fantastic. Good seasoning, flavor, and perfect consistency.

Aaron was extremely friendly and apologetic about being out of food (even though I knew it was my fault for showing up so late).

Before I left he stopped by, asked how I was doing and how I enjoyed the meal, and gave me at least a 1/2 lb of his remaining chopped beef to take home.

I'm gonna try and go back tomorrow. I told him I was one of the idiots from the internets and he said that there have been a $#@! ton of us lately. He was thrilled.

asshat Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain's Avatar
    Sorry you caught him on his only off day BT. I did think the same as you about his brisket, it did slightly resemble yours. It does warrant a return trip for you though. You'll definitely be impressed with his best effort brisket.

And I don't know who the guy in the pink shirt was, but he certainly didn't have the shagster look to him. More like a "Hi, I'm a total douche look", which beat the homeless guy look I was going for today.
    Sweatpants with a cowboys t-shirt guy?

This thread has me thinking.

We need an official shaggy get together there soon. Like where we actually meet, talk, and sit together.

^
    There must be beer.

I'm not sure I've ever seen you w/o a beer in hand.

Does it ever happen?

Sweatpants with a cowboys t-shirt guy?
    Stunning ensable, wasn't it? It was that "I'm gonna go hang out at a school yard" look.

asshat hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian's Avatar
    I'll have to try this when I get a chance. It's closer to my house, but further from my office, than my current go-to for 'cue (House Park).

bunghole BeeFsteR is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BeeFsteR is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BeeFsteR is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BeeFsteR is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BeeFsteR is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BeeFsteR is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BeeFsteR is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BeeFsteR is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BeeFsteR is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BeeFsteR is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BeeFsteR is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    Went here today around noon. Brisket was excellent and he threw in some burnt pieces too. Potato salad was decent and mustard-y. Beans were beans.

But my goodness, the expresso sauce is off the charts. Will be coming back soon.

asshat Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand's Avatar
    Just dropped by again for my daily fix.

F you guys for taking all the pork ribs.

asshat Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
    sounds like i better come down and try this joint before Texas Monthly does a big piece on it.
    Heh. Patricia Sharpe was the only other person there when I walked up this afternoon.

asshat BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmand
    Heh. Patricia Sharpe was the only other person there when I walked up this afternoon.
    I hope you're kidding; I have't been able to make it over yet.

asshat BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleHall
    I hope you're kidding; I have't been able to make it over yet.
    Ok, was able to rectify this today. Got there at 10:55, and was the first one through the gate when he opened. Decided to go straight Meat Trinity: brisket, ribs, sausage.

Verdict? Really, really good. I can't honestly say if I've had better BBQ or not before somewhere else, but if I have, it wasn't much better.

Hung around for a while (it was only sporadically busy) and talked 'Q and pit design with Aaron; really nice guy. He's got a pretty nice pit (that he has customized himself), but it sounds like he's already at capacity for his busy days. Told me to drop by some afternoon and we could geek out and talk pits.

All in all, great way to start a Sunday.

asshat feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore.
    I didn’t want to get my hopes up too high…but after trying this place a couple of times this weekend…wow. I was very impressed with everything I tried. I’m not a fan of fatty brisket, which sadly means I’ve eaten a lot of dry, flavorless brisket in my time. I went out on a limb and tried the lean brisket here and it was perfect. It had tons of flavor and was extremely moist and tender. Best brisket by far in Austin and probably the best I’ve had in a long time. Sausage was great too as to where it wasn’t too greasy or fatty. Pork ribs were really good…a lot of meat on each, so I was getting full after just one.

Tried the pulled pork sandwich on another day and it was the best I’ve had in a long time too. The pork had tons of flavor, which is a nice change since most pulled pork I’ve lately has been pretty bland. Got a scoop of coleslaw on the sandwich. I’m not one for coleslaw but it really was a nice addition.

Fail on my part for not taking more pics…but here is the left over ribs:

I'm not sure I've ever seen you w/o a beer in hand.

Does it ever happen?

Nope. :D

Went again on Saturday with the boy -- we were having a "guy's day."

Brisket was definitely better than the day before (when his fire had gotten too hot). Still, I will hold back the highest praise, as it could have been a bit more tender -- could have used a little more time on the heat. It reminded me a lot of my own brisket, although mine is usually falling-apart tender (which doesn't make for nearly as pretty a presentation as his does, but it eats mighty fine). Still, arguably the best brisket in town.

Sausage rocks. Had a wrap on white bread, and was quite happy.

Ribs were better than the day before. The boy scoured his rib clean.

The boy also saw the menu as we were eating, and asked if we could try the bourbon banana pudding. Sure, we'll split a small.

Holy crap. I have never recommended a barbecue place based on a DESSERT, but I would in this case. It was like a banana-flavored bread pudding with whiskey sauce. It was awesome. Like, one of my favorite desserts in Austin (and I do NOT have much of a sweet tooth).

In the car the next day, ruminating on grub choices, the boy offered -- "that barbecue place we went to was pretty good. Cooper's is still my favorite. I remember, I didn't think I'd like goat, but I just LOVE the goat at Cooper's. But the new place is probably my favorite in-town barbecue place."

So, there you have it.

Will be there again on Wednesday with a couple of other lawyers for a "business meeting."

asshat Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke's Avatar
    Tito Cabrito has spoken

Went on Saturday with my dad and son. Probably left just before Beefster got there. The burnt end was high high and the bourbon banana pudding was fantastic.

Aaron was super nice.

Now I kind of want to do a tour de brisket and hit up all the places that I'm forgetting. Places like the Pit and Berts. Or house park bbq where I always get pork loin. I always just get a frito pie or t man at Berts so I can't judge the brisket, but it always seems too firm.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Jesus built my car. Its a love affair. Mainly Jesus and my hot rod.
    If you guys haven't been mentioning Shaggy to him, then you're missing out. He's duly impressed by the repeat business we're providing him & the word of mouth we are spreading.

The time I went 2 weeks ago, I was the last person to get anything & he had 3 people show as I was there chatting him up. I suggested that whenever he runs out & still has guests, he give out a business card & write on the back "Good for 2 free slices of brisket on next trip" along with his initials.

I'm down for a Shaggy lunch & agree that no Big Red is a failing.

I mentioned this thread in passing to him back in mid-December when most of ya'll weren't yet in the know and said that his place was starting to generate a little discussion with a group of barbecue fanatics on a Longhorn board. I don't think he expected this.

I'm planning on going Wednesday. This place being across the highway from the law school is going to give me a heart attack.

From the recommendations above it sounds like I should go with: Fatty brisket, ribs, sausage, and pudding. Then go lie down. Then come back the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
    I'm planning on going Wednesday. This place being across the highway from the law school is going to give me a heart attack.

From the recommendations above it sounds like I should go with: Fatty brisket, ribs, sausage, and pudding. Then go lie down. Then come back the next day.
    If you're going on Wed, go early, like 11:00 - 11:30. Wednesday's seem to be his busiest days. I think it's because he's been closed on Mon & Tues and people need their brisket fix.

And yeah; you're plan looks good.

When the two suits sat down, I was thinking to myself that one of them had to be Brisketexan and the other Smoky B. I was half right. Which white haired mustache were you?
    Heh. Those were the old farts. I was the younger messican coonass in the jeans (I didn't have a pretrial hearing today like they did). The gray haired mustache across from me was my partner. My associate was sitting next to me.

I won't tell her what any of y'all think of her. It'll just go to her head. And anyway, no talking about her that way -- she's like my sister, and a very cool chick (and a damned fine lawyer, too, but that's not germane to this subject).

I figured we were surrounded by Shagsters, but I wasn't going to stand up and announce my presence -- "so, are any of y'all from the internets?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou415
    I would fit that description I think

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmand
    From Texas Monthly's Food twitter today:

AUSTIN: New Franklin BBQ trailer, 3421 N. I-35 @ Concordia, is best 'cue joint to open here in years. Their espresso sauce is fantastic!

asshat Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tres Leches

AUSTIN: New Franklin BBQ trailer, 3421 N. I-35 @ Concordia, is best 'cue joint to open here in years. Their espresso sauce is fantastic!

Oh $#@!, here comes the thundering hoards! It's every man for himself!

Link?

Quote Originally Posted by CPHornFan
    Link?
    http://twitter.com/TMFOOD

I had to make a trip during lunch to drop off my rifle to get some trigger work done to it in south Austin. I though, I know, I'll swing by Franklin on my way back to the office. I exited and just as I was slowing down to turn, I thought... it's Tuesday.

asshat TXSooner518 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSooner518 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSooner518 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSooner518 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSooner518 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSooner518 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSooner518 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSooner518 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSooner518 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSooner518 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TXSooner518 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Had my first experience with Franklin's today. Stopped by about 1230. Aaron was SUPER friendly, as advertised.

I ordered 1/4lb brisket, 2 pork ribs and a sausage link to go. He asked if I wanted lean or fatty and I picked fatty. He cut me a burnt end from the lean to let me try it, and the lean was incredible. Not dry at all, great flavor. He got my 1/4 lb, then threw in another slice with lots of bark for free. The guy couldn't be nicer.

I got ribs from the short end, so I ended up getting 3. Got one sausage.

The quality was EXCELLENT. Maybe a half-step behind the absolute giants, but by FAR the best in Austin proper, and can easily compete on any given day. Brisket was absolutely superb, 9.5/10. I tried both the espresso sauce and pork sauce on it, didn't need any at all. Great crust, great flavor, just awesome. Ribs were very good, a LITTLE dry, maybe b/c they were from the short end. Still great flavor, 8.0-8.5. Sausage had GREAT flavor also, I prefer the texture at LCM, but these were the best non-LCM sausages I've had. 9.0/10.

I LOVE the pork sauce, the espresso is good too, but I think I like it less than many who have posted. I am SOOOO happy to have this place, great food run by a great guy at great prices, what more could you ask for? If you haven't gone, go! If you've gone, KEEP GOING!!

Good god, with the wind slightly out of the east, I was on the upper deck with the windows cracked, as I passed Concordia. Saw the smoke...as I drove past, it wafted into the car. I damn near crashed.

asshat flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    I tried it again yesterday and it was terrible. Brisket was raw. The sausage had bugs in it. The owner was a jerk.

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

asshat BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BallamaticBevo's Avatar
    making you feel inferior because you're on the grill b
    Quote Originally Posted by flaco
    I tried it again yesterday and it was terrible. Brisket was raw. The sausage had bugs in it. The owner was a jerk.

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i see what you did here

asshat BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn's Avatar
    Only one person showed the inside of the sausage. Looks good.

The ribs looked damn good.

How does this compare to John Muellers past one? I went there countless times. He used to also give a free piece of end piece to customers while going through the line.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Jesus built my car. Its a love affair. Mainly Jesus and my hot rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by BearLakeHorn
    Only one person showed the inside of the sausage. Looks good.

The ribs looked damn good.

How does this compare to John Muellers past one? I went there countless times. He used to also give a free piece of end piece to customers while going through the line.

This is a carryover from Louie Mueller's & Franklin's is continuing the tradition (in a customer service kinda way).

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 158 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast