+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 157 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Franklin BBQ

asshat Jack Handey grows his own roses Jack Handey grows his own roses Jack Handey grows his own roses Jack Handey grows his own roses Jack Handey grows his own roses Jack Handey grows his own roses Jack Handey grows his own roses Jack Handey grows his own roses Jack Handey grows his own roses Jack Handey grows his own roses Jack Handey grows his own roses Jack Handey's Avatar
    Went yesterday. It was cold outside but it didn't matter. I liked it. A lot.

Cooper's, Smitty's, Kreuz's, Black's, etc and all other BBQ I've had before are no better than Franklin. Good luck to him. Although it appears he doesn't need it.

asshat Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsmilk
    Went by a couple of days ago to see if Aaron could cater my mothers funeral reception. He offered me a drink then sat down with me to figure out how much food I would need. I've never had to cater an event before and he admitted that he didn't have much experience with catering either but we managed to figure it out. Not only was the service personal and excellent but the price was about half as much as I was quoted from another, completely forgettable, bbq restaurant.

We had relatives coming in from out-of-state and all over Texas and they all agreed that the food was delicious. I can't thank Aaron and his lovely wife enough for all they did to help us. I wish him nothing but continued success and will always recommend him whenever possible.
    Whoa. I know it may not mean much coming from some anonymous internet person, but condolences to you and your family for your loss. Peace to all y'all.

asshat Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand Shaggy Bronze Club Gourmand's Avatar
    I just dropped by to get my usual 2-meat plate of brisket and ribs and timed it perfectly. He was down to his last brisket and last half rack of ribs. I got home, opened up my to-go box, took a small nub of brisket and... Holy mother of God if that wasn't the single best bite of brisket I've ever had. It melted in my mouf like a pepper-rubbed tablespoon of warm butter.

Best mouthgasm I've had since the foie at Parkside.

asshat CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsmilk
    Went by a couple of days ago to see if Aaron could cater my mothers funeral reception. He offered me a drink then sat down with me to figure out how much food I would need. I've never had to cater an event before and he admitted that he didn't have much experience with catering either but we managed to figure it out. Not only was the service personal and excellent but the price was about half as much as I was quoted from another, completely forgettable, bbq restaurant.

We had relatives coming in from out-of-state and all over Texas and they all agreed that the food was delicious. I can't thank Aaron and his lovely wife enough for all they did to help us. I wish him nothing but continued success and will always recommend him whenever possible.
    Sorry about your mom.

Made a trip to Austin for a few days and went there today. Unfortunately, he was out of sausage, but I'll be back that was damn good bbq. My daughter swallowed up the ribs while my wife and I had some brisket. He was also out of the dessert. Really nice guy, stopped by the table to make sure we were okay, too.

The bark on the ribs was really good and peppery. My wife and I really liked the beans, but the potato salad was alright.

asshat flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? flaco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Yeah, the potato salad was underwhelming but who gives a $#@!.

asshat Bottlecap Shaggy Gold Club Bottlecap Shaggy Gold Club Bottlecap Shaggy Gold Club Bottlecap Shaggy Gold Club Bottlecap Shaggy Gold Club Bottlecap Shaggy Gold Club Bottlecap Shaggy Gold Club Bottlecap Shaggy Gold Club Bottlecap Shaggy Gold Club Bottlecap Shaggy Gold Club Bottlecap Shaggy Gold Club Bottlecap's Avatar
    I've got the best brisket and ribs burps right now.

bunghole ratsmilk can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ratsmilk can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ratsmilk can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ratsmilk can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ratsmilk can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ratsmilk can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ratsmilk can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ratsmilk can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ratsmilk can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ratsmilk can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ratsmilk can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ratsmilk's Avatar
    thanks for the condolences, they mean more than you think.

asshat hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian's Avatar
    I'm sure it's been covered, but I assume it's cash-only, correct?

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Jesus built my car. Its a love affair. Mainly Jesus and my hot rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by hornian
    I'm sure it's been covered, but I assume it's cash-only, correct?
    Yes it's been covered.

No, it's not.

I know he has the credit card stickers on his window @ the "pick up" end of the windows, but I don't remember if it's the "duo" or "trinity".

Visa/Mastercard

Quote Originally Posted by HRMaddie
    Made a trip to Austin for a few days and went there today. Unfortunately, he was out of sausage, but I'll be back that was damn good bbq. My daughter swallowed up the ribs while my wife and I had some brisket. He was also out of the dessert. Really nice guy, stopped by the table to make sure we were okay, too.

The bark on the ribs was really good and peppery. My wife and I really liked the beans, but the potato salad was alright.
    you can thank me. i bought the last pound of sausage. as stated many times on this thread, brisket and ribs are to die for. i liked the sausage, no one else in our group did. f them.

asshat bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova's Avatar
    can somebody describe the sausage?

asshat CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bozo_casanova
    can somebody describe the sausage?
    I think that the sausage would get more attention here if the brisket and ribs weren't so freaking good. The sausage is locally made (not by Aaron - he gets them somewhere but I don't remember where), they have a nice snap, a medium texture and taste great. They have a nice, smokey flavor with a little pepper taste to them. I like them a lot - more than most sausages at BBQ joints - but usually get brisket and ribs just because they're so damned good.

bunghole Spry slams and goes hard. Spry slams and goes hard. Spry slams and goes hard. Spry slams and goes hard. Spry slams and goes hard. Spry slams and goes hard. Spry slams and goes hard. Spry slams and goes hard. Spry slams and goes hard. Spry slams and goes hard. Spry slams and goes hard. Spry's Avatar
    http://manuptexasbbq.blogspot.com/

Holy $#@!! St. Arnold and Franklin BBQ on March 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Spry
    http://manuptexasbbq.blogspot.com/

Holy $#@!! St. Arnold and Franklin BBQ on March 7.

This = awesome. Again though, He better already be close to making arrangements to expand his business model.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Scott, he told me yesterday that he'd like to be in a 'better place' by December 2010 BUT wants to stay as close to where is currently is located.

The parking lot directly across the street (N of him) is $ 5,000.00 a month & it's owned by the mojado scrip club; they use it for valet parking. The small warehouse / large garage is used to park the scrip club's limo.

Here's pics from my visit (05 Feb):

I got a look inside the smoker trailer & he had it packed full with 12 - 14 pounders that had been on for ~3 hours. Aaron had help inside the trailer & I think I heard him tell someone that it had been a few days with the other guy in there.

(is it just me, or does that look like a big wooden grin with two eyes & a nose?)

Review: cole slaw was meh & seemed kinda tasteless to me, tater salad was 6.5 on a 10 scale. Not too bad, not amazing. I don't do beans for the most part.

Ribs were bad-ass. Perfect tender & crusty exterior combo. I'm sauce guy & didn't need nor want to add any to the pork.

Brisket was an amazing tender but I did have a bit too much fat on it. Probably order fail on my part vs. his prep... but I often get stuff that's too dry & wanted to avoid that.

Bitching about the sides @ a Q joint is like going to a Longhorns football game & complaining about the celebrities on the sideline... they aren't really important to the overall program. So I don't really care too much about them.

asshat BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkmanDan
    Quote Originally Posted by BearLakeHorn
    too bad SB wasn't around when john mueller was here.... might still be open and not in a trailer.
    I doubt it.
    If that is the case then franklins might not be long for austin...

Quote Originally Posted by NCAAFBALLROX
    Bitching about the sides @ a Q joint is like going to a Longhorns football game & complaining about the celebrities on the sideline... they aren't really important to the overall program. So I don't really care too much about them.
    That is an excellent quote and I hope you don't mind if I steal it, 'cause its too good not to use.

Stopped there for lunch today and everything was as good as ever.

asshat MilkmanDan Shaggy Gold Club MilkmanDan Shaggy Gold Club MilkmanDan Shaggy Gold Club MilkmanDan Shaggy Gold Club MilkmanDan Shaggy Gold Club MilkmanDan Shaggy Gold Club MilkmanDan Shaggy Gold Club MilkmanDan Shaggy Gold Club MilkmanDan Shaggy Gold Club MilkmanDan Shaggy Gold Club MilkmanDan Shaggy Gold Club MilkmanDan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkmanDan
    too bad SB wasn't around when john mueller was here.... might still be open and not in a trailer.
    I doubt it.
    If that is the case then franklins might not be long for austin...

There was a hornfans meetup at Mueller's, and a number of posts about how good the cue was. There were also a growing number of posts about him running out of BBQ, not being able to make change, and generally being unable to keep his $#@! together business-wise.

He didn't fail for lack of good reviews.

asshat shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club
    Just finished off my sliced beef sandwich (moist) with pickles and onions, slathered in the espresso sauce. Awesome. Nap time now.

asshat hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian's Avatar
    I finally went today for lunch. Lucky for me, the weather meant even going around 1, they weren't out of any meat.

It was definitely the best barbecue inside the city limits, and I will go back.

However, there were a couple of nitpicky things -

1 - I didn't like the espresso sauce. It doesn't do it for me. I'm not telling anyone it's bad, I just didn't like it.

2 - I have a small bone to pick with the way they slice the point, and it's something a lot of barbecue joints do, so it's not just them. But they leave part of the flat under the point when they cut it, so you get part of your brisket cut with the grain if you order moist. I've always hated that, wish they didn't do it.

Other than that, it was great, and close to my house, which is also a bonus.

asshat j.e.s.-U.S. is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? j.e.s.-U.S. is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? j.e.s.-U.S. is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? j.e.s.-U.S. is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? j.e.s.-U.S. is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? j.e.s.-U.S. is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? j.e.s.-U.S. is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? j.e.s.-U.S. is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? j.e.s.-U.S. is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? j.e.s.-U.S. is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? j.e.s.-U.S. is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? j.e.s.-U.S.'s Avatar
    ^^^

Yup, same thing today. He said it may have been his slowest day due to the weather. I was sort of happy since I got to try everything I wanted. The crispiness yet tenderness cannot be stated enough. The espresso sauce was very different and I liked it a bit, but not overly crazy about it. Very very good stuff.

Also, he has a new beverage addition, here's a hint... redhead at KU game.

breast milk?

asshat Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog's Avatar
    Somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert
    ^
    Niiiiice.

asshat El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri's Avatar
    Scott, he told me yesterday that he'd like to be in a 'better place' by December 2010 BUT wants to stay as close to where is currently is located.

The parking lot directly across the street (N of him) is $ 5,000.00 a month & it's owned by the mojado scrip club; they use it for valet parking. The small warehouse / large garage is used to park the scrip club's limo.
    $#@! you you racist prick

Quote Originally Posted by El Tri

$#@! you you racist prick
    WTF?

asshat Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog's Avatar
    ^
    There's an "all Latina" scrip club next to the BBQ place. I'm guessing it's a new version of the Crazy Lady.

Yelp! review.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/franklin-bar...NZ0bW0sAyg7dUw

So far, I think I've been 4x & he recognizes me. Had baby back ribs & brisket; he said the backs didn't turn out that well but as I think we all know by now, he vastly under-rates his quality. I probably wouldn't know what to do with myself if he ever had a "perfect day" in his opinion.

Yes, that's his wife. Just as nice as he is. Closest you'll get to a Shaggy meme, so back off.

On a side note, a customer paid the Austin Chord Rangers to come & serenade his ladyfriend while they dined... unfortunately, the road noise from I 35 was a bit much, but I think she was plenty close to enjoy it (this was on Saturday, 13th).

FTFY

I've so gotta get my brisket fix tomorrow.

asshat Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al's Avatar
    Finally made it out last weekend. Holy $#@!! It's fantastic. I absolutely loved the brisket. Melt in your mouth. My dad tried it and just looked at me and said, "that's the best brisket I've had in ages." I liked the sausage. That's saying a lot since I rarely eat sausage at bbq joints. The ribs and pulled pork were really good too.

That espresso sauce, though. Wow. Left a lasting impression. His brisket doesn't need it. But it was so good on the sausage and pulled pork.

I gotta stop by again Friday. Shaggy lunch?

asshat BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall's Avatar
    Just had lunch at Franklin's again. Awesome (the two friends I brought agreed). The fact that he's added Big Red to the soda menu was the crowning touch. Friends had to leave, but I ended up hanging around for half an hour or so talking pits with Aaron and the new guy who's working there.

asshat BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn Shaggy Bronze Club BearLakeHorn's Avatar
    There was a hornfans meetup at Mueller's, and a number of posts about how good the cue was. There were also a growing number of posts about him running out of BBQ, not being able to make change, and generally being unable to keep his $#@! together business-wise.
    good point. from what i have been told by someone in the know w.r.t. to muellers, he was advised many times to get more catering business to keep the business going and refused.

but doing bbq is not an easy thing especially if you do it the right way and not the commercial style gas systems. i wish franklins the best of luck.

i have yet to go but it's on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleHall
    Just had lunch at Franklin's again. Awesome (the two friends I brought agreed). The fact that he's added Big Red to the soda menu was the crowning touch. Friends had to leave, but I ended up hanging around for half an hour or so talking pits with Aaron and the new guy who's working there.
    You HAD to have spotted me. I guess I got there close to 2:40something & stayed around 30 minutes. For sure, I left around 3:15 (received a call & just checked the time on my phone). Were you with one other guy & kept looking @ my truck (with the ladders) like you should know me or wanted to ask if I was from The Internets?

All was good, brisket was phenomenal. The worker that was with me had his dog in the truck & I asked for some scraps for the dog; Raul said it was too good to give to the dog & gnawed it right down.

Good times. Good times.

asshat Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al's Avatar
    He told me I was the first to drink Big Red. I must have gone the first day he offered it. I told him to add Orange Crush too.

He was out of Big Red when I got there.

This has been my go to when visiting this joint:

asshat BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall's Avatar
    You HAD to have spotted me. I guess I got there close to 2:40something & stayed around 30 minutes. For sure, I left around 3:15 (received a call & just checked the time on my phone). Were you with one other guy & kept looking @ my truck (with the ladders) like you should know me or wanted to ask if I was from The Internets?
    Prob. didn't miss you by much. I was there right around noon, left around quarter to 2. My new job has me done by 10:30am, so I foresee a lot of lazy afternoons at Franklin's in my future. There needs to be some sort of universal Shaggy handsign, something casual but identifiable, like maybe a low "Hook'em".

Went by a little after 2 pm today to a big fat SOLD OUT sign.

$#@! Yelp. $#@!s all up on my turf and $#@!.

Btw you unknowingly snapped a pic of me in your photo essay from last week, Rox.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmand

Btw you unknowingly snapped a pic of me in your photo essay from last week, Rox.
    Was that you without the shirt on & had the red hair?

Haha, which one were you? I was sitting at a table with a friend eating watching everyone get turned away.

asshat Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang's Avatar
    I won't tell her what any of y'all think of her. It'll just go to her head. And anyway, no talking about her that way -- she's like my sister, and a very cool chick (and a damned fine lawyer, too, but that's not germane to this subject).

THE GOD-DAMM GERMANS AINT GOT NUTHIN TO DO WITH IT!

asshat shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club shaggybevo Shaggy Bronze Club

"Come early, be loud, stay late."

My son hit me up early this morning with a request for Franklin BBQ. "It's been TWO WEEKS since I had thier brisket!" The kid is 9 and he's turning into a brisket expert. I like to think that I'm raising him right: UT sports and a sound knowledge of good BBQ.

Anyway, got there at 11:30 this morning and the brisket and ribs were their usual awesome.

Came in from San Antonio yesterday for the Baseball game, made my first trip to Franklins. The family agreed it was pretty damn good. Brisket was excellent, sausage was very good, sides were ok. Didn't care for the Espresso sauce at first but it grew on me. He's going to do some serious business on game day weekends.

i really like the espresso sauce. since we had 6 we took the first open table , which happened to be by the trash cans, which happened to have lots of bees. they need one of those fly traps. that's my only complaint. if anyone was there from 12:45 to 1:45 we were the group of asians.

I got there on Saturday just as he started pulling the gate closed...asked if he had anything left and said he could probably get us something.
    Got the last of the pulled pork and the last piece of brisket.

It was soooo good I went back on Sunday to open the place back up.
    I mean I had to get the ribs right???

asshat landman grows his own roses landman grows his own roses landman grows his own roses landman grows his own roses landman grows his own roses landman grows his own roses landman grows his own roses landman grows his own roses landman grows his own roses landman grows his own roses landman grows his own roses
    Lost our virginity there on Sunday. Brisket was great. Beans were good. Out of Sausage. He wasn't happy with the ribs he'd made, so he gave us a rack at no charge. Solid place and great owners. Looking forward to many trips there on the way down to Disch-Falk this spring.

I suggested that he have a prepared kit for people to order & pick up prior to baseball games:

"Tournament Champion": 4 Pulled pork / sausage sammiches, sides of pickles & onions, sauce.

"Conference Champion": 1/4 lb. brisket, 1/2 rack of ribs, 1 whole link, 6 slices of bread, sides of pickles & onions, 1/2 pint of slaw & 1/2 pint tater salad, sauce.

"National Champion": Whole brksket, whole rack of ribs, 2 links, large slaw / salad, 10 slices of bread, sauce.

@ This point, it seems the only reason he doesn't do this & also why he's only open from 11 to 4 is due to capacity in the smoker.

@ This point, it seems the only reason he doesn't do this & also why he's only open from 11 to 4 is due to capacity in the smoker.
    When I was there on Friday, I think he said he was working on building two new smokers. Aaron said that the thing that's really throwing off his ribs is trying to do them and the brisket at the same time, since both have different temps for the way he wants to do them. Once he has (at least) one more pit going, he's going to do pork in one and brisket in the other, so his BBQ may get even *better*, which is almost scary. He also said his current batch of wood is a little more green than he'd like, and once it ages/dries out a bit it will be easier for him to run the pits the way he wants to.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 157 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast