+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 160 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Franklin BBQ

bunghole sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion's Avatar
    Don't know HOW I missed this thread. Going tomorrow

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Dammit, I really should quit reading this thread.

asshat Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain's Avatar
    Went back today. allsome.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Jesus built my car. Its a love affair. Mainly Jesus and my hot rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blain
    Went back today. allsome.
    Did you tell him you were from the internets (or Shaggy in particular)?

asshat Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain's Avatar
    Goddamnit no! for $#@!s sake.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX Probably Shaggy upper class NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blain
    Goddamnit no! for $#@!s sake.
    Woulda gotten a free slice of brisket or maybe a bonus rib... ask anyone from here that mentions Shaggy; he's happy as hell to hear that we're into his grub.

asshat CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleHall
    Quote Originally Posted by NCAAFBALLROX
    @ This point, it seems the only reason he doesn't do this & also why he's only open from 11 to 4 is due to capacity in the smoker.
    When I was there on Friday, I think he said he was working on building two new smokers. Aaron said that the thing that's really throwing off his ribs is trying to do them and the brisket at the same time, since both have different temps for the way he wants to do them. Once he has (at least) one more pit going, he's going to do pork in one and brisket in the other, so his BBQ may get even *better*, which is almost scary. He also said his current batch of wood is a little more green than he'd like, and once it ages/dries out a bit it will be easier for him to run the pits the way he wants to.
    Yeah, I was there last Sunday and he said that he was picking up a new tank the following day and would be converting it into a new pit starting this week. So he'll have more capacity and will be able to do beef and pork in the different pits. He said he may do beef ribs once in a while.

asshat Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog's Avatar
    Somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert
    The drive by the place today was pure torture.
    Calm breeze...a beautiful plume of smoke rising in the morning light....I cracked the window as I drove by on the upper deck.
    It wafted into the car like the sweetest perfume.
    Dammit, I'm hungry now.

asshat Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White's Avatar
    Just got back. Four co-workers and myself made the drive in. We arrived at about 11:50 and had to wait about 15 minutes to get our food. I did mention that I had been following this thread and that this was my first trip in.

He said that he hoped that he wouldn't disappoint me because he had heard a lot of complimentary things from that thread.

I ordered a pound of fatty brisket, a link of sausage and a small tater salad. He made sure to ask every time he cut a peice of meat to make sure it was what I wanted. I'm not sure if he is just a really nice guy or if it was because I told him I was from this thread, but he threw a big chunk on my pile and said it would be easier just to give me the whole thing rather than having to cut around too much fat. It was a nice gesture on his part.

As for the Q. Holy Hell! EASILY the best commercial BBQ in this City in the past 20 years. Brisket was phenomenal. I am not a big sausage fan to begin with, so take this for what it is worth. I typically like sausage flavor but not the consistency. This sausage was exactly opposite. I'm not saying it was bad, far from it. But it wasn't my favorite. All of the sauces were good, but I am not terribly into sauce to begin with. I tried the espresso sauce and it was delicious and unique and I'd dip a ieice here or there, but like I said, I just don't use a lot of sauce. He'll do great selling that espresso stuff.

The place was busy so we tried to eat as quick as we could so that another group could sit down.

All in all, I am really excited that this place is here. Great BBQ within a 15 minute drive is a great thing to have.

He needs to get a building in that area before football season.

One of you investing shagsters needs to team up with him and get him in a building close by and start counting your money.

asshat Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog's Avatar
    Looks like the word is out.
    Line in front of me today was 12 deep. As I moved forward, it was 6 deep behind me. Still flawless quality.
    You think beer snobs are bad? Guy next to me plunks down his sixer of Lone Star and looks at my Prima Pils like it's some kinda newfangled yuppie $#@!. Dude...it's beer.
    Aaron to me, after spotting my six pack: "You've got the right idea!"
    Me: "You want one? You're always giving people stuff, it's about time somebody reciprocated."
    Aaron: "I'm ok..best not to drink beer and slice meat, know what I mean?"
    And he gives me an extra sausage link.

Power lunch.
    Perfect for a blustery Spring day in Austin, TX.

asshat Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw's Avatar
    uh, that was me and austinvines

not sure where you got that reaction from, I was trying to read the label because I had not seen that beer before, and you also looked familiar, but whatever

asshat Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw
    uh, that was me and austinvines

not sure where you got that reaction from, I was trying to read the label because I had not seen that beer before, and you also looked familiar, but whatever
    The group sitting at that table while we were there looked like they were drinking Schlitz.

Ahhh..My misunderstanding..I knew it was probably going to be a Shagster.
    You guys had a serious platter of carne.
    I need a nap.

asshat Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw probably preboards planes Jack Straw's Avatar
    aftre we were done and just chilling finishing our beers he came over and gave us a huge pile of pulled pork -- at least a pound. not something i would order, so i was glad to get to try some for free, and it was damn good. i am freaking stufffed

asshat Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines Shaggy Bronze Club Austinvines's Avatar
    I was so damn hungry I didn't pay much attention to who I was sharing a table with - sorry for not saying hi. There are a couple good thing about the Lone Stars: they are cheap, they sell them at the chevron on the corner of 38th, and since Sins didn't want one (showed up right as you were leaving I guess), I gave Aaron our extras for after work. How hopped was that pils? I am a Scrimshaw fan myself.

You are right about him being generous. The pile of pork he gave us was over the top.

^
    Sorry for being an irritable $#@!.
    My goddamn knee has been killing me for 3 weeks now. I can just now walk without crutches.
    The Prima is one of the best micro Pilsners in my opinion...HEB just dropped the price, it is cheaper than Scrimshaw.
    That last guy was Scottins?

scottsins got there after you left

that was a friend of ours from undergrad

it was so odd, we wre sitting there talking about an article he wrote that just came out this month, and i look over and there he is in line

Yeah, I saw that...pretty damn funny.

oldfart Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat's Avatar
    After makin' a whiskey road trip to Fredericksburg yesterday, a jaunt down to Aaron's seems to be in order.

asshat CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat
    After makin' a whiskey road trip to Fredericksburg yesterday, a jaunt down to Aaron's seems to be in order.
    You don't make a jaunt to Franklin's, you make a pilgrimage.

asshat G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4 grows his own roses G4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinvines
    I was so damn hungry I didn't pay much attention to who I was sharing a table with - sorry for not saying hi. There are a couple good thing about the Lone Stars: they are cheap, they sell them at the chevron on the corner of 38th, and since Sins didn't want one (showed up right as you were leaving I guess), I gave Aaron our extras for after work. How hopped was that pils? I am a Scrimshaw fan myself.

You are right about him being generous. The pile of pork he gave us was over the top.
    OH SNAP. I was standing there paying when you gave the Lone Star's to him. hahaha. WORLDS COLLIDING!!!

I figured you guys were probably shaggy.

^
    I was hoping some of the wimmins there were Shaggy. The scenery was nice.

oldfart Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHornFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat
    You don't make a jaunt to Franklin's, you make a pilgrimage.
    I haven't been through the baptism yet.

BTW - I'm one of those guys who has to have the lean cuts of brisket. Anybody here sampled that yet? Is it too dry?
    And I never profane the meat with sauce.

Lean is awesome, that's what I get.

Banned SirSuperSouthern is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    So after reading this thread I decided to give Franklin's a shot. I left my place at 3:20 thinking I could make it. Trafficfucked by 35. I was thinking "Whoever wrecked better be dead", but it was just normal Friday afternoon traffic. By the time I got there he was locking the fences and told me he was all out of BBQ, but to come back tomorrow with some beer. I can't make it back any time soon, I don't think, but I now consider trying Franklin's a culinary priority...

SirSuperSouthern, if you don't get there by 2p then you can count on it being a wasted effort.

I don't care if the sign says 4p, there isn't a person here that's gotten anything after 3p as he typically is full on sold out.

SirSuperSouthern, if you don't get there by 2p then you can count on it being a wasted effort.

I don't care if the sign says 4p, there isn't a person here that's gotten anything after 3p as he typically is full on sold out.
    he was running low on brisket and completely out of ribs at 1:00 today. As demand continues to grow, it will not get better. I find it hard to motivate myself to make the trip with such uncertainty as to whether he'll have food for me when I get there.

I'm sure he doesn't care who buys all the stuff as long as someone buys it. It was AWESOME brisket. When I want to eat lunch, I want to go to one place and not have to worry about a contingency plan. I really hope he can up his production somehow.

Oh, and whoever said way back in this thread that the rub was similar to Mueller's was WAAAAAAAAAY off base. It is not close to that $#@!ty overpowering black pepper abomination of Muellers. Not even on the same planet.

Banned SirSuperSouthern is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?

Wish somebody woulda mentioned that $#@! before I braved it. $#@!. Thanks for the heads-up on that though...

bunghole sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion slams and goes hard. sirion's Avatar
    I finally made it out. Met the wife there around noon and the line was about 10 deep at the time. Aaron's really generous with the meat... my two meat combo turned into 3/4 lbs of brisket and 4 ribs because the first two were off the end of the rack and a little dry. Awesome brisket... probably the best I've ever had.

Snow Dog, I think you pulled up next to us at that last table by the fence. Asked for the espresso sauce? =)

it was good yesterday I am back for more. I know you $#@!s are all around me right now.

asshat BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall's Avatar
    I'm telling you guys, secret Shaggy Bevo hand sign; if Aaron starts running low on carne, wouldn't want any Shaggy on Shaggy violence. I'm still waiting for the first person to show up when it's all crowded and go "...buncha $#@!s around here..."

Quote Originally Posted by scottsins

he was running low on brisket and completely out of ribs at 1:00 today. As demand continues to grow, it will not get better. I find it hard to motivate myself to make the trip with such uncertainty as to whether he'll have food for me when I get there.

I'm sure he doesn't care who buys all the stuff as long as someone buys it. It was AWESOME brisket. When I want to eat lunch, I want to go to one place and not have to worry about a contingency plan. I really hope he can up his production somehow.

Oh, and whoever said way back in this thread that the rub was similar to Mueller's was WAAAAAAAAAY off base. It is not close to that $#@!ty overpowering black pepper abomination of Muellers. Not even on the same planet.
    Him running out of product so quickly is one reason why he's getting a second smoker set up. He'll be able to double his output.

asshat NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop's Avatar
    stood in line for about half an hour today at 1 before the baseball game... subtly mentioned shaggy to him and he said that hes thinking about creating a sandwich called the "shaggybevo" .. oh and his wife is cute and cool as $#@!.... oh and the narbeque was awesome.

asshat e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthLoop
    subtly mentioned shaggy to him and he said that hes thinking about creating a sandwich called the "shaggybevo"
    not sure I'd want to eat that

Quote Originally Posted by e
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthLoop
    subtly mentioned shaggy to him and he said that hes thinking about creating a sandwich called the "shaggybevo"
    not sure I'd want to eat that
    Well, no sense in throwing out all the leftover $#@!s.

Went today, got there around 2:15. No pork ribs, no pulled pork, and he said the brisket had been sitting around for two hours after I told him I'd read so many raving reviews of his place at shaggy. I think that was his way of telling me not to form my opinion from this trip.

When I asked him when I needed to be there by to try the pork ribs he told me 1 o'clock. So, basically, there's no way of avoiding the lunch rush unless you get there between 11-11:30am. Ouch.

Brisket was still damn good. Mine was tepid by the time I finally got home but still incredible. The sauces were both very good. I can tell its quality $#@!, but I'm struggling to think of anywhere else that has such a minuscule window of opportunity to enjoy it properly. Why are the best things in life always so $#@!ing elusive, anyway? Jesus.

I'm thinking Wed March 3rd @ 11am, if my schedule will allow it...

asshat e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. e can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    I can tell its quality $#@!, but I'm struggling to think of anywhere else that has such a minuscule window of opportunity to enjoy it properly. Why are the best things in life so $#@!ing elusive, anyway? Jesus.
    Sounds like a business opportunity. Surely no one here can produce narbeque on the level of Franklin? There seems to be plenty of demand...

Quote Originally Posted by SirSuperSouthern
    Went today, got there around 2:15. No pork ribs, no pulled pork, and he said the brisket had been sitting around for two hours after I told him I'd read so many raving reviews of his place at shaggy. I think that was his way of telling me not to form my opinion from this trip.

When I asked him when I needed to be there by to try the pork ribs he told me 1 o'clock. So, basically, there's no way of avoiding the lunch rush unless you get there between 11-11:30am. Ouch.

Brisket was still damn good. Mine was tepid by the time I finally got home but still incredible. The sauces were both very good. I can tell its quality $#@!, but I'm struggling to think of anywhere else that has such a minuscule window of opportunity to enjoy it properly. Why are the best things in life always so $#@!ing elusive, anyway? Jesus.

I'm thinking Wed March 3rd @ 11am, if my schedule will allow it...
    Just so folks know, Aaron opened up in January thinking that it would take months for the business to catch on and build up. Clearly he didn't anticipate the power of the interwebs and word of mouth. He was really stunned that he was so busy so quickly.

Step one was to get some help in the trailer. He was doing this all by himself for a while. Now he's working on getting a second pit up and running, that will increase his output. He's also telling people that he hopes to have an indoor location by the end of the year. Let's be patient with the guy as he works all this out. He's a very cool guy who's producing the best BBQ in town.

His location difficulty is that he doesn't want to move all that far from where he is but can't afford the high dollar rents the area requires. Plus, there is a lot more infrastructure that goes along with it.

how high can the rents for a shop over there be? its a pretty dumpy area - there is scrip club and a porn shop within a couple of blocks, and half the signs over there are in spanish

Central Austin is expensive compared to the edge of town, or in the suburbs. Guaranteed if he was willing to move to a strip mall 4 or 5 miles north of here the rents would drop substantially. Then again, he wouldn't be minutes from downtown, UT, major hospitals, etc.

asshat Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand's Avatar
    Just so folks know, Aaron opened up in January thinking that it would take months for the business to catch on and build up. Clearly he didn't anticipate the power of the interwebs and word of mouth. He was really stunned that he was so busy so quickly.
    Actually, he's been open since early December or late November. $#@! the internets for invading my neighborhood food spot. Damn yelp $#@!gots.

asshat Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Gourmand's Avatar
    how high can the rents for a shop over there be? its a pretty dumpy area - there is scrip club and a porn shop within a couple of blocks, and half the signs over there are in spanish
    You cannot be serious. You think French Place is a dumpy area? $#@! you, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmand
    i certainly don't think the french place neighborhood is dumpy. but the commercial strip where franklin is that borders the neighborhood is dumpy

in the same way that i don't think that crestview/brentwood neighborhoods are dumpy, but the commercial strip of burnet road that borders them, and has some great places on it, is dumpy

Went by today at about 2:10. They were out of everything except for fatty cuts of brisket. It was incredible, as everyone else says. I need to go back - I really prefer lean brisket (like a sandwhich cut), and need to try some pork ribs. I also quite liked the espresso sauce, although the meat surely didn't need it. Cool place, cool staff.

i certainly don't think the french place neighborhood is dumpy. but the commercial strip where franklin is that borders the neighborhood is dumpy

in the same way that i don't think that crestview/brentwood neighborhoods are dumpy, but the commercial strip of burnet road that borders them, and has some great places on it, is dumpy
    ah, gotcha. my apologies. i'm used to seeing that stretch every day so i think it's got character. personally, i hope the location bothers the non-neighborhood foodies just enough for Aaron to still turn a nice profit and for me to know i can get my fix when i want it. my fear is that Franklin becomes so popular that it's too much of a hassle for me even though it's right around the corner. the gfww and i went to vivo the first week in opened, returned regularly over the next couple of years, watched the patio go from a bare wooden deck with a cheesy water feature to the oasis it is now....but haven't been there in forever b/c it's just too much of a hassle. i don't want a repeat with Franklin now that the yelp invasion has begun.

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsmilk
    Went by a couple of days ago to see if Aaron could cater my mothers funeral reception. He offered me a drink then sat down with me to figure out how much food I would need. I've never had to cater an event before and he admitted that he didn't have much experience with catering either but we managed to figure it out. Not only was the service personal and excellent but the price was about half as much as I was quoted from another, completely forgettable, bbq restaurant.

We had relatives coming in from out-of-state and all over Texas and they all agreed that the food was delicious. I can't thank Aaron and his lovely wife enough for all they did to help us. I wish him nothing but continued success and will always recommend him whenever possible.
    Whoa. I know it may not mean much coming from some anonymous internet person, but condolences to you and your family for your loss. Peace to all y'all.

very sorry to hear about your mom, may she R I P

Quote Originally Posted by sirion
    I finally made it out. Met the wife there around noon and the line was about 10 deep at the time. Aaron's really generous with the meat... my two meat combo turned into 3/4 lbs of brisket and 4 ribs because the first two were off the end of the rack and a little dry. Awesome brisket... probably the best I've ever had.

Snow Dog, I think you pulled up next to us at that last table by the fence. Asked for the espresso sauce? =)
    Yep. Damn Shaggy Happy Hour that day.

Who had the nice SUV with the Hucky rollers for kayaks?

Actually, he's been open since early December or late November. $#@! the internets for invading my neighborhood food spot. Damn yelp $#@!gots.
    My mistake. He told me he'd been open for a couple of weeks back in late January. I took that to mean that he opened in early January.

bunghole GDLover can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. GDLover can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. GDLover can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. GDLover can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. GDLover can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. GDLover can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. GDLover can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. GDLover can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. GDLover can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. GDLover can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. GDLover can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    78734/78704/ In my truck stealing your internets
    I haven't even made it by yet, that place is blowing up.

SUNDAY, MARCH 7, Franklin BBQ, 3421 I-35 N, 5pm -Man Up Texas BBQ's "Gettin' Sauced!" Texas BBQ Sauce Contest- BBQ, music, and beer samples from Saint Arnold!
    What could be better?
    http://is.gd/9s7yu

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 6 of 160 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast