+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd Thread

asshat fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers's Avatar
    What are the other two, out of curiosity?

Banned Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by fortyakers View Post
    What are the other two, out of curiosity?
    The Who. Houston. 1975. Number 1.

Led Zeppelin. Dallas. 1975. Number 2.

asshat UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech's Avatar
    goin' down the grade makin' 90 miles an hour
    Yeah, I can't even imagine what this would do to your head if you were stoned...

As for old war stories, they were actually a little before my time, I've only been lucky enough to relive that greatness through collecting (cough) torrents (cough). I will say that seeing Roger Waters in 1985 on my 19th birthday was the greatest show of my life. Being able to go down to the Union bowling alley and buy myself my first legal beer(s), then head over to the FEC, 10th row floor, just phenomenal. Seen Roger twice (85 and 87) and Pink Floyd twice (87 and 94), every time better than the last (took my girlfriend, now wife, to that 87 Roger Waters Radio KAOS show, she still says that's the best concert she's ever seen).

I cannot wait until November, not just because that show is going to be the end all of shows, but because I get to share it with my wife (who at least has some idea of the kind of show we're in for) and my two kids (16-year old guitar playing, wanna be musician son and 19-year old theater-loving daughter), who have no idea what an experience they are in for. Just like that original Wall tour, I'm sure this one will be talked about 30-40-50 years from now.

Oh, and keep those damn youtube clips off of here (just kidding). I AM avoiding them as much as possible, as old fashioned as it seems, I still believe in the power of mystery, the good old days when a rock show rolled into town and you had no clue what the "theme" was or what the stage looked like. I already know the setlist (how much of a bummer is it going to be when they get to "The Trial" and you know the show is almost over?), but the rest I want to be surprised by.
    Last edited by UTCzech; 10-08-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: dumn fingers

asshat hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL's Avatar
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,
    You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.

Im a younger guy but like akers said I absolutely devour classic rock, I dont think any other genre of music really comes close. I remember rifling through my dad's vinyl when I was 12-13 or so and finding Dark Side in there. First I remember thinking, that's some badass album art. Second, I remember my dad telling me that it was the single greatest album that he owned.

I listened to it over and over...and over. Haunting, beautiful, poetic, hard $#@!ing rocking stuff. I listen to it at least once a week still I would say. In a word it is....perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by hookemATL View Post
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,
    You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.

Im a younger guy but like akers said I absolutely devour classic rock, I dont think any other genre of music really comes close. I remember rifling through my dad's vinyl when I was 12-13 or so and finding Dark Side in there. First I remember thinking, that's some badass album art. Second, I remember my dad telling me that it was the single greatest album that he owned.

I listened to it over and over...and over. Haunting, beautiful, poetic, hard $#@!ing rocking stuff. I listen to it at least once a week still I would say. In a word it is....perfect.
    I was 15 when I bought it and it helped make sense out of life. It still does now that I'm old.
    In particular.
    "And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun....."
    and
    "So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
    Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines... "

Banned Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Horn View Post
    I was 15 when I bought it and it helped make sense out of life. It still does now that I'm old.
    In particular.
    "And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun....."
    and
    "So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
    Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines... "
    Those lines have resonated with me since I bought my first copy of that album in the spring of 1973.

This also inspired me to go back and listen to Atom Heart Mother for the first time in a long time. Gilmore and Waters have referred to it through the years as "rubbish" and have expressed regret it was ever made. I'm not sure what was so bad with it. The first side instrumental is particularly good, I think.

asshat fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers's Avatar

Pink Floyd Thread

I agree with you Maximum. What's worse is that Waters/Gilmour say the first side is the part they hate. The AHM Suite is pretty damn amazing to me, but they don't seem to care much for it. I can kind of see where Gilmour is coming from. If you look at what he did as a soli artist, or when he controlled Floyd, you can see a definite preference for shoter, 8 min max songs. Even the instrumentals on Division Bell are on the short side.

Czech, what was it like seeing Floyd on the 94/95 tour? Was it a nostalgia show or was it a damn, they somehow managed to be relevant in a "today" sense?

And tas, you're a bastard for seeing those other two shows. I can't help when I was born, but I've been (for the most part) totally $#@!ed on the music end of that stick.

asshat UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech's Avatar
    I'm surprised about that Atom Mother Heart bit, I've got several recordings of them playing that live, some with orchestra, some without, in fact I just downloaded a broadcast of them playing it in 1970 for a PBS station in San Francisco, maybe they just considered it promotion.

That 94 show, to be honest, I don't even remember much, it was (my personal experience) horrible. Saw them in the Alamodome, nose-bleed seats on the side, the sound was horrible up there, I hate domes anyway, but it really ruined it for me. And honestly, yeah, I would have said they pretty much are a nostalgia act now. I consider The Division Bell a pretty strong album, but the concert was just so/so.

I'll relate it to what you said in the first part regarding shorter songs and such. With a show like that, everything, lighting, effects, movies, is timed out to the second. So there's no room for error or improvisation. It's like watching a record being made. And I think Gilmour is comfortable with that. He just looks tired and happy jo just go through the motions. That's unfortunate. Remember, above all, Pink Floyd really is (was) a blues band. Go back pretty much from Saucerful of Secrets, up through Animals, from Set the Controls through Atom Heart Mother through Echoes through Dark Side through Shine On through Pigs (3 Different Ones), they're really just a jam band. They may make weird sounds or alter their instruments, but at the core all those songs and many more are just extended jams.

And they totally went away from that. Watch the Live 8 performance when they got back together with Roger. On Money, of course they have the sound effects which dictate the tempo of the song. Roger, who looks like he's the only one having fun up there, immediately takes off on the bass, rushing ahead of the effects, I think saying "come on, let's rock this mother $#@!er!". Dave immediately shoots him a look, like "what the $#@! are you doing, you're $#@!ing up the song". That's the problem I have, they've totally abandoned their roots. If you want a good listen, check out Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade. They have one album where the first CD is some Primus stuff and Shine On You Crazy Diamond, the 2nd CD is the complete Animals album beginning to end. And they do it right! They go off on extended jams, it's just like the Floyd used to play.

Just ONCE, I'd love to see Dave (or even better Dave and Roger) get together and just let it all hang out like the old days. If you can, track down any bootlegs through 1977, it's just such a joy to hear those talented guys just playing for the fun of it, they didn't give a $#@! how long the songs were or how long the concert lasted or even if the audience cared or not, they were up there playing for themselves.

fucktard Newpraetorian is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    The planet-arium here in Ft. Worth used to have a cool lazer light show fri/sat eve. Always fun to drop and go check it out.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Um. OK.

asshat Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death's Avatar
    i don't have the command of the Floyd's catalog that you guys have, but i wanna post a song or two.

these just happen to be from the 94 pulse tour mentioned earlier.

Two of my favorites, and even more cool that Pink Floyd was out touring them 3 years before they were even recorded...

Here's a glimpse into the Immersion box sets coming out this fall (DSOTM, WYWH and the Wall, all about $130 apiece, gonna have a hard time justifying those purchases to the wife, but <Paul Anka>that's just the $#@!-ing way it is<Paul Anka>...)

Immersion sets first listen

I wish these sets came with a vinyl copy of the album as well. Don't know why they are releasing that separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Set the Controls View Post
    I wish these sets came with a vinyl copy of the album as well. Don't know why they are releasing that separately.

asshat Art Vandelay might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Art Vandelay might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Art Vandelay might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Art Vandelay might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Art Vandelay might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Art Vandelay might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Art Vandelay might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Art Vandelay might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Art Vandelay might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Art Vandelay might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Art Vandelay might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Art Vandelay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fortyakers View Post
    Fun fact: I heard Meddle for the first time tonight.

Be jealous.

I'm in love.
    Holy $#@!. I've just listened to Meddle for the first time myself and I am blown away. I've been a casual fan for a long time (Dark Side, WYWH, The Wall) but just discovering this amazing album. Also recently got into Animals. I am a huge classic rock fan but Pink Floyd has been sorely under-appreciated in my collection, I'm afraid.

EDIT: I had heard One of These Days and parts of Echoes before, but not the album in its entirety.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 07-11-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Yeah, when I heard Fearless for the first time (laying on my bed while it was playing on vinyl, whenever I made that post), I was like "holy $#@!ing $#@!". I'm glad I saved that for when I was old enough to really appreciate it.

I recently read that Daniel Johnston didn't discover the Beatles until he was 19, and he couldn't believe what he heard. Too often, things like Dark Side can become axiomatic to my understanding of music, so I take it for granted. I was happy enough just hearing Fearless at my age; I can't imagine what it would have been like to hear Sgt Pepper's at 20. Whoa.

asshat American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UTCzech View Post
    That 1977 tour was a monster. Animals is my favorite PF album, the Floyd at their angriest and some of their best playing ever. If you can find one, pick up any (ahem) bootleg from the 5/9/77 Oakland show, probably the best PF bootleg ever (in both performance and sound quality...)

That's awesome man. I learned the solo note for note off of the studio version and have always loved the soul Gilmour put into it. With the eery sound of the pre-verse part that solo really $#@!ing rules. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by American Swindle View Post
    That's awesome man. I learned the solo note for note off of the studio version and have always loved the soul Gilmour put into it. With the eery sound of the pre-verse part that solo really $#@!ing rules. Seriously.
    Yeah, on this live version it's actually Snowy White playing the solo, much move "frantic" than Dave's playing. Although he does a great job of imitating Dave's sound, as on this, one of my favorites, was only available on the 8-track version of Animals:

And that's the reason Roger has Snowy back as one of the guitarists on the current Wall tour...

In honor of the "Why Pink Floyd" CD rollouts that start next week, this should be fun:

Jimmy Fallon to honor Pink Floyd with week of tributes
    The Shins, Foo Fighters (with Roger Waters), MGMT and Pearl Jam doing Floyd covers all week.

Also, on Monday, they will be recreating the Animals cover with a giant pig hovering over Battersea Power Station.

Also also, don't know if anybody has seen any of these "viral" videos, there's about 15 or so out there, pretty cool...

Just went online this morning...

The Greatest Gig In The Sky is now live! Every hour, on the hour, between now and September 28th, you can hear Pink Floyd's performance of The Dark Side Of The Moon from Wembley 1974, accompanied by some of the original concert screen films, and connecting with fans across the world who are also watching - and commenting - with you:
    Official Pink Floyd Youtube channel

Listening to this now, $#@!ing incredible, and this is the lo-fi version...

Quote Originally Posted by UTCzech View Post
    Just went online this morning...

Official Pink Floyd Youtube channel

Listening to this now, $#@!ing incredible, and this is the lo-fi version...
    Holy $#@!!! Thanks for posting that!

bunghole Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore.
    Thanks for the link. I was able to take my son to the KC show in 94. We still talk about it and will until I'm gone. I used to play AHM as go to sleep music when my kids were little, both have become huge fans. It's a damned shame that the only PF the radio around here plays is "Money" or "Another brick in the wall".

asshat Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo's Avatar
    wish you were here might be the best piece of music ever released.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Glo View Post
    wish you were here might be the best piece of music ever released.
    yessir

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    In! In! In!
    tuesday: roger waters is teaming up with foo fighters (for the first time ever) to perform "in the flesh," off the singer-bassist's opus "the wall." fallon will also get a crack at interviewing waters during the show.

yeah, setting the DVR for that right now.

asshat Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76's Avatar
    If you haven't seen them.... Go see The "Australian Pink Floyd."

My fav. is probably "Fearless."

But, here's a few others favs...

asshat Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Rip76's Avatar
    Dave Grohl is one lucky SOB...

Really wish he was with Gilmour instead of Waters, but still can' wait to see it.

This version sucks, but is the best I could find on youtube.

audioperv has the interview and the performance.
    http://theaudioperv.com/2011/09/28/f...ers-interview/

Shins cover Breathe.
    http://www.spin.com/articles/watch-s...k-floyd-fallon

asshat hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL Shaggy Gold Club hookemATL's Avatar

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    His voice was a bit off, but the Foo Fighters were pretty f'n good.

asshat DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah's Avatar
    I love Pink Floyd. I saw them on the Animals Tour at Jeppesen, (now Robertson) Stadium on a rainy night in 1977. Link

I next saw them on the Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour at The Dome in 1987. Link

And then again during a stormy, lightning shortened concert at Rice Stadium in 1994. Link

I took my then eighteen year old son to see Waters on his DSOTM tour at Cynthia Woods Mitchell in '08. Link

Classic stuff, but let me assure you young Turks of this, seeing Waters in 2010 is no real comparison to the shows with the whole group back in the 70's and even into the 80's.

Totally different experience. (For example, I remember the later ones muuuuch better.)

Doobie, you were at that Rice show? I've heard bootlegs of that, Gilmour was literally in fear for his life at the end, with all the equipment shorting out on stage. I saw them at the Alamodome that tour, great show but the sound was horrible (too much echo, just bounces around forever...).

asshat DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah's Avatar
    Yeah, It really was scary.

We were in the upper section to the right of the stage. I think they took a break at some point, (I don't remember if it was a scheduled intermission or a storm delay), but everyone crowded into the concessions area under the stands.

I read sometime after that this was the only show they ever failed to finish.

So I got that going for me...

asshat DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhorn View Post
    Taught myself the rhythm guitar piece to that song based off of that very video. One of these days I'm going to tackle the lead.

Thanks for posting.
    How's this coming along? The rhythm part is one of my favorite things to play (largely because WYWH is probably my favorite song ever), but the lead is just well beyond me. I've been trying for a couple of years and cant get it to sound even close. DG really is an amazing guitarist (technically and artistically).

You can kind of start with this tab for the intro solo to get an idea, at least of the notes. I used to have an Acoustic Guitar magazine that had the tabs for the entire song...note for every single note. I could play the notes, but the tone and touch were way beyond my pathetic ability.
    http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/pi...e_ver5_tab.htm

Watching this guy might help.
    Last edited by hullabelew; 09-29-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Is it cool to post download links here? If so, I've got a link to all of the remasters that just came out...

otherwise just PM me.

asshat DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DeadSalamander's Avatar
    Oh, my brain knows WHAT to do, but my fingers and timing are just deficient. A lot of DG's playing is really technically advanced.

BTW, Justin Sandercoe probably has the best lesson of WYWH I've seen.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-30...ouWereHere.php

Last edited by DeadSalamander; 09-29-2011 at 03:11 PM.

asshat YoLaDu has a gigantic e-peen. YoLaDu has a gigantic e-peen. YoLaDu has a gigantic e-peen. YoLaDu has a gigantic e-peen. YoLaDu has a gigantic e-peen. YoLaDu has a gigantic e-peen. YoLaDu has a gigantic e-peen. YoLaDu has a gigantic e-peen. YoLaDu has a gigantic e-peen. YoLaDu has a gigantic e-peen. YoLaDu has a gigantic e-peen. YoLaDu's Avatar
    guitar starts spinning, rock and roll starts winning
    if i had to pick just one... Lucifer Sam

that slinkly rubbery bass line kills me everytime

asshat HornGrandioso might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? HornGrandioso might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? HornGrandioso might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? HornGrandioso might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? HornGrandioso might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? HornGrandioso might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? HornGrandioso might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? HornGrandioso might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? HornGrandioso might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? HornGrandioso might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? HornGrandioso might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? HornGrandioso's Avatar
    Anyone picked up the deluxe Dark Side recently released? It's like $120 or something but the extras look awesome.

Wow! Listening to a BBC 2 Programme called The Record Producers broadcast the other night, incredible! The one I have is a hour, it's going to be broadcast again tomorrow in a 1 1/2 hour format. Think "Behind the Music" on VH!, where they break down the songs by track, strip them down to 1 track at a time to show you the individual elements, if you're into the technical aspects of the recording studio, you need to hear this. Here's the description:

"Richard Allinson and Steve Levine look at the work of Pink Floyd in the latest edition of Record Producers. The programme concentrates on the early days of the band and the development of their sound from the late 60s through to the mid 70s.

Amongst the contributors to the programme are Joe Boyd, Floyd's producer for their first single Arnold Layne; John Leckie, who engineered the band's album Meddle; and Clare Torry, whose vocal performance on The Great Gig In The Sky is one of the highlights of Dark Side Of The Moon. Plus personal recollections and studio secrets from their engineer Alan Parsons.

There are new interviews with guitarist David Gilmour and percussionist Nick Mason, and Richard and Steve have access to the original multitrack recordings of some of Pink Floyd's best work from thie period. These highlights include the four track tapes of Arnold Layne; their masterpiece Echoes (which began as an eight track recording - but later expanded to 16); the 16 track recordings of Money and Great Gig In The Sky from the seminal Dark Side. album, and 24 track recordings from their 1975 release Wish You Were Here, including the epic Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

With a few extra surprises along the way, this edition of The Record Producers is not only an unmissable programme for Pink Floyd fans, but also a "must listen" for any lover of quality popular music."

An extended version of the programme is scheduled to be broadcast on 7 October 2011. From the BBC Radio 6 website:

"Exclusive to the extended version of the programme for 6 Music is an in-depth look at the recording of the song Breathe, from Dark Side Of The Moon; as well as the discovery of an early recording which Steve Levine found by accident hidden on the Arnold Layne tape!"

3pm tomorrow Austin time, right?

That looks right. Here's the complete schedule:

07/10/2011

19:00–21:00
    Now Playing @6Music

Tom Robinson asks listeners to compile a Pink Floyd playlist.

21:00–22:30
    The Record Producers
    Pink Floyd
    Richard Allinson and Steve Levine look at the work of Pink Floyd.

22:30–23:00
    The Producers Playlist
    Pink Floyd
    Steve Levine presents a personal choice of Pink Floyd highlights.

23:00–00:00
    Pink Floyd at the BBC
    BBC sessions and live performances selected from the archive by the band themselves.

08/10/2011
    00:00–01:00
    Stuart Maconie's Freakier Zone

08/10/2011
    Stuart Maconie continues 6 Music's Pink Floyd evening with a look at Ummagumma.

01:00–02:00
    Desert Island Discs on 6 Music
    David Gilmour
    David Gilmour is Sue Lawley's castaway.

02:00–03:00
    Desert Island Discs on 6 Music
    Roger Waters
    Roger Waters is Kirsty Young's guest.

03:00–05:00
    The Thing About Syd
    Mark Radcliffe explores the life and legacy of Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett.

I grabbed my copy off of Yeeshkul, I'm sure someone will have all of these up in the next few days...

Interview with Nick Mason and info on upcoming reissues. (Vid at the bottom of the page.)

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast