+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd Thread

asshat cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn's Avatar
    [Walter]There's no reason, THERE'S NO $#@!ING REASON WHY THIS THREAD SHOULD BE ON THE 6TH PAGE! Am I wrong? Am I wrong? Ok then..."[/Sobchak]

$#@!ing Rachel Fury. I want her sofaking bad. At least, in her 80's form. This makes me want to run through a steel wall...

asshat cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn's Avatar
    Had a little fun tonight with my new birthday present...

asshat UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech's Avatar
    goin' down the grade makin' 90 miles an hour
    Huge news on the PF front, if you're into the whole bootleg/demos sort of thing. About a month ago, out of the blue, a vinyl Lp showed up called The Extraction Tapes (I guess a take off on the Immersion series...). Vol 1, brand new, in studio Animals demos, which even in the PF bootleg world, nobody knew existed. Bad ass $#@!. Vol 2 came out a couple of weeks ago, WYWH demos. Again on vinyl, but supposedly CD versions are coming out soon. Again, some cool $#@!.

Daft punk before daft punk...

Roger on lead vocals! (not just the 2nd half)

My favorite, Shine On as one entire suite, not just the two halves spliced together, but intentionally one continuous piece (doesn't contain part IX...)..

^THAT is badass!

Thank you sir. I will be looking fervently for this.

I can barely listen to Dogs by Waters, its not one of those songs that fits his voice. Gilmour's version is much better

Just not a fan of Water's voice at all. His songwriting, however, is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhorn View Post
    Just not a fan of Water's voice at all. His songwriting, however, is a different story.
    Yeah Gilmour is a much better singer and can handle the more complex songs. I do like Roger in Brian Damage/Eclipse and his part in Comfortably Numb though.

But yeah when it comes to songwriting, Roger is a genius

asshat UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellcat View Post
    I can barely listen to Dogs by Waters, its not one of those songs that fits his voice. Gilmour's version is much better
    Yeah, I've got a bootleg from I think Miami from the '75 tour, with Roger singing Raving and Drooling, and you can hear the tapers talking, "wow, that guy can't sing", "yeah, he's not the real singer", pretty funny.

My favorite Pink Floyd demo is the Gilmour/Waters duet version of Have a Cigar. They did it live that way during the 1975 and 77 tours and I like the way their voices combined with Roger going high and Dave more even level. The actual song that was released is one of my favorite Floyd songs so I like the Roy Harper version but after hearing the demo, I wish they had went with Dave and Roger singing and have it be a true Floyd work and not a guest singer
    Last edited by Stellcat; 02-25-2014 at 11:04 PM.

asshat KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze's Avatar
    I really enjoy Dogs of War. I think a lot of that has to do with context/placement within the album and probably memories/nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by UTCzech View Post
    Yeah, I've got a bootleg from I think Miami from the '75 tour, with Roger singing Raving and Drooling, and you can hear the tapers talking, "wow, that guy can't sing", "yeah, he's not the real singer", pretty funny.
    Here's a pretty good example of how much better of a singer Gilmour is than Waters. God, when Waters chimes in for the 2nd verse it's like something from a bad karaoke encounter. I mean he really damned near kills the song.

I also always loved David's demeanor on stage. Doesn't do a lot of talking or dancing around, just plays and lets the music speak. Waters just can't help himself. Gotta be the center of attention.
    Last edited by cajunhorn; 02-27-2014 at 09:29 PM.

^Hilarious! I used to love that show.

Waters makes Gilmour sound so damned good. In the live versions of Mother, when Gilmour's part comes in with the "hush now baby, baby don't you cry" it's like a breath of fresh air. and the crowd goes nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Set the Controls View Post
    Waters makes Gilmour sound so damned good. In the live versions of Mother, when Gilmour's part comes in with the "hush now baby, baby don't you cry" it's like a breath of fresh air. and the crowd goes nuts.
    And then there's the whole one is a douche and the other is not aspect.

Pink Floyd: Sight, Sound and Structure Conference at Princeton University
    Welcome to the first-ever academic conference to focus entirely on the legendary rock band Pink Floyd. Co-organized by Princeton composers and Ph.D. Candidates Gilad Cohen and Dave Molk, this interdisciplinary event will celebrate the band’s music, art, and culture, bringing together scholars, musicians, and fans.

Featuring:
    •Grammy-Award winner and Pink Floyd producer/engineer James Guthrie
    •Lectures and discussions by scholars and artists from various disciplines, including Professors Nigel Smith (Princeton University) and Shaugn O’Donnell (CUNY Graduate Center)
    •Live compositions and arrangements inspired by Pink Floyd’s music
    •Playing of James Guthrie’s surround mix of Pink Floyd’s music

•Pink Floyd Jam Session at Princeton’s Small World Coffee - sign up to perform your favorite Floyd song with the house band
    •Exhibition of Pink Floyd covers and art provided by Princeton Record Exchange
    •Screening of the classic film The Wall by the Princeton Film Society
    •Special drinks, discounts, and food in the town of Princeton (see the “Outside The Wall” page)

asshat vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox's Avatar
    Hrmmm...just found this thread...

I'm a Big Floyd homer...primarily post-Syd/pre-Waters-split era.

I don't really consider anything done just by Gilmour as Floyd. Yeah, he has the name but goddamn, let's be honest...Floyd without waters and gilmour is NOT the floyd. There can be no debate here. The music speaks for itself. The visual creative for the post-waters floyd is definitely up to par but the music/lyrics have taken a tremendous hit.

What I find very troubling is that when floyd is discussed with the un-enlightened they always reference the post-waters catalog and are almost completely unfamiliar with the 70's work. And there is zero awareness of the Syd years.

IMHO the prime of floyd started with Dark Side of the Moon and drew to a conclusion with the release of The Final Cut - which was definitely the postscript for The Wall.

So with all of that in mind, I personally hate all of waters' solo work and enjoy all of Gilmour's solo stuff - including what he did under the Floyd name without Waters.

asshat DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vox View Post
    IMHO the prime of floyd started with Dark Side of the Moon and drew to a conclusion with the release of The Final Cut - which was definitely the postscript for The Wall.
    It would be hard to argue your entire take except that I would start with Meddle.

I really like Dogs but I also really like You Gotta Be Crazy from the 74 tour. It's pretty cool because you get two different versions of a good song

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
    I really enjoy Dogs of War. I think a lot of that has to do with context/placement within the album and probably memories/nostalgia.
    Dark Side to Final Cut is really his path to dealing with Daddy's death...sort of like a musical of Proust's novel..A Remembrance of Things Past...

Really those albums form one album...his story of his father and him not growing up with his father and his trials and tribulations growing up without a father...so sad really..he tries to import that feeling(think the playground scene in The Wall).

I mean, it took him years and years to finally write and sing and complete an ode and homage to his father...

Brit Floyd coming to Cedar Park on May 19th. Just bought 4 tix for $93.

Hope to see some of y'all there...

http://youtu.be/AsUt6f4dXZ4

Might be up for a pre show laser light party of true PF Blue Bloods are interested.

Their whole show...

http://youtu.be/qYbm096uzEc
    Last edited by cajunhorn; 04-23-2014 at 10:27 PM.

tempting but good seats are kind of expensive for a cover band...and more importantly, $#@! cedar park.

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    $#@! Monday night concerts most of all.

tempting but good seats are kind of expensive for a cover band...and more importantly, $#@! cedar park.
    Agreed w/the $#@! Cedar Park sentiment, but I got 4 tix for $93. Little over $20 per ticket.

They're middle of the road seats, but who cares about getting up close for this? It's not like it's Gilmour up there. The spectacle is better viewed from a distance & I'm sure the sound will be ample.

Just a thought, but I understand your position.

Quote Originally Posted by kevwun View Post
    $#@! Monday night concerts most of all.
    This I can't defend.

Hope you have fun but when I saw the Brit Floyd show on PBS I was not impressed much. Sure some of it was decent other parts not so much. That is assuming that is the Red Rocks show.

bunghole Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore.
    I saw them in Wichita in January. They put on a great sounding show with really good visual effects. Basically the same effects from the Division Bell tour on a smaller scale. The only criticism is that the skit they perform with "Comfortably Numb" is lame. Mostly they are note for note with PF recordings. You could always stay home and listen to the recordings but the show was worth the $25. I'm not sure if the Gilmour clone's ability to mimic DG exactly means that DG's technique isn't that tough or if the lefty is really good.

having seen roger waters multiple times, my biggest criticism of other guitarists trying to mimic the DG parts is that they play too many notes. gotta let those notes breathe, maaaaaan.

Yeah, I'm not going expecting them to be a Pink Floyd carbon copy, even though that's probably what they shoot for. It's just a nice evening looking at a cool laser light show and listening to some good tunes for a cheap ticket. Got floor seats 6 rows from stage for $40 bucks each.

My expectations are not off the chart for this at all, but I think it'll be a decent way to spend an evening.

All that said, I've been wanting to see the Australian PF, but they aren't coming to the US anytime soon according to their website.

And, yes, I saw a video of the skit they do for CN. Dumb and unnecessary.

They should $#@!-can that and just play the song.

having seen roger waters multiple times, my biggest criticism of other guitarists trying to mimic the DG parts is that they play too many notes. gotta let those notes breathe, maaaaaan.
    Yep.

Spot on.

That's why DG is DG and there'll never be another.

bunghole Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore. Shoxthemonkey is a rep whore.
    My old ears spent too much time with headphones to 11 back in the day so take this for what it's worth...close your eyes at any point in the show and you won't be able to tell that it isn't PF on stage. Very few departures from the recordings that I could pick out. Overall it was a very enjoyable evening.

Oh,yeah, they need to work a little harder finding a Rachel Fury look alike
    Last edited by Shoxthemonkey; 04-24-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: put it on a pedestal

Quote Originally Posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
    My old ears spent too much time with headphones to 11 back in the day so take this for what it's worth...close your eyes at any point in the show and you won't be able to tell that it isn't PF on stage. Very few departures from the recordings that I could pick out. Overall it was a very enjoyable evening.

Oh,yeah, they need to work a little harder finding a Rachel Fury look alike
    Every band on earth should have a Rachel Fury look alike.

That is fact and it is not disputable.

asshat TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser's Avatar
    Has iTunes ever released the Floyd tracks from the film "Zabriskie Point"??? I've always wanted to get cleaner/remastered versions of those songs.

And can somebody post the video of the guys from "The State" doing the sketch where they get $#@!ed up at the little kid's birthday party and start talking about "The Wall"?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCruiser View Post
    Has iTunes ever released the Floyd tracks from the film "Zabriskie Point"??? I've always wanted to get cleaner/remastered versions of those songs.
    See if you can track down a bootleg called A Total Zabriskie Point of View, has everything you could ever want and then some.

asshat TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser's Avatar
    where does one go for stuff like that? Keeping in mind I'm a technology luddite.

bunghole Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses
    There is a countdown at pinkfloyd.com right now. Something is being announced today... probably something for Division Bell turning 20...

http://www.divisionbell20.com/

the video playing on countdown page is awesome
    Last edited by Mackaveli; 05-20-2014 at 07:05 AM.

bunghole Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses Mackaveli grows his own roses
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaveli View Post
    There is a countdown at pinkfloyd.com right now. Something is being announced today... probably something for Division Bell turning 20...

http://www.divisionbell20.com/

the video playing on countdown page is awesome
    The big reveal is a Division bell box set. weak

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-0...n-bell-box-set

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhorn View Post
    Brit Floyd coming to Cedar Park on May 19th. Just bought 4 tix for $93.

Hope to see some of y'all there...

http://youtu.be/AsUt6f4dXZ4
    How was it?

If anyone wants a copy of the Floyd reunion at Live 8 in 2005, I put one on my blog recently. Right-click and save-as blah blah blah...

http://theanalogkidblog.com/2014/05/...ive-at-live-8/

asshat mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaveli View Post
    The big reveal is a Division bell box set. weak

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-0...n-bell-box-set
    While weak, there is a 5.1 mix of Division Bell in that box set. As an owner of both Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1, this interests me greatly.

the wywh and dsotm box sets are both pretty cool. would rather have meddle or animals but division bell ain't bad I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
    How was it?
    Ah $#@!, sorry I missed this. I thought it was fantastic. Band was excellent, sound system top notch, and the light effects a real experience. Best $40 I've spent since my Papagallo days in NL.

Hang tight, I'll post a few crappily filmed iPhone videos once they're uploaded and you can judge for yourself.

Ok, here's the first one. Like I said, it's not the best video. Some tall bastard plopped down right in front of me and the iPhone kept focusing on his head. Sound is pretty good though...

No worries. I wasn't able to get any video in Wichita, the cell phone Nazis were out in force and yelled at anybody that was recording. Sounds pretty good to me. If you close your eyes you can see Durga and Rachel swaying to the beat. I'll be right back.

My favorite...

"We don't rent pigs"...

Not specifically Floyd, but Dave announces fall European tour, hopefully US will follow...

David Gilmour's Blog have just announced David's 2015 European Tour, offering presale tickets for their readership. The pre-sale is open now, although we suspect that tickets will be selling quickly!

They have revealed a total of eight shows across Europe in September, as below. The general sale of tickets starts on Friday morning, and more details of that will follow, but the DG Blog have arranged for a limited number of tickets for each venue/date to be on sale early. The shows are as follows:

Saturday 12th September 2015: Arena Pula, Croatia
    Monday 14th September 2015: Verona Arena, Italy
    Tuesday 15th September 2015: Teatro Le Mulina, Florence, Italy
    Thursday 17th September 2015: Théâtre Antique, Orange, France
    Saturday 19th September 2015: König-Pilsener-Arena, Oberhausen, Germany
    Wednesday 23rd, Thursday 24th and Friday 25th September 2015: Royal Albert Hall, London, England

Full details of ticket prices and box office phone numbers for each venue can be found at the Blog. Ticket restrictions, and booking fees, will apply. They also note that "there are no other dates planned at this time. Further details, concerning personnel and such like, will follow as and when they become available, so please sit tight."

We are in the process of setting up the normal dedicated pages here on Brain Damage for each and every show, initially holding all the pertinent information on the event and the venue, giving ticketing details, addresses, maps and more, and then later, reviews and pictures of each show. These should be live imminently so keep checking back!

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast