+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd Thread

asshat fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers's Avatar

Pink Floyd Thread

Okay, I meant to post this earlier, but it ended up on the football board, which ended in awesomeness.

But on the real, I want a Floyd threat. Pay your respects.

I've been listening to the Division Bell a lot recently. I have to say, it's vastly underrated. I mean, I can look past the early 90's sounds. It's easy. The whole theme of communication, and Hawking's voice in "Keep Talking" is $#@!ing amazing. Why doesn't David Gilmour write more? $#@!.

ANY chance one last Floyd album comes out? Unreleased $#@!? Anything goddamn.

Banned Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard.

asshat Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fortyakers View Post
    I've been listening to the Division Bell a lot recently. I have to say, it's vastly underrated. I mean, I can look past the early 90's sounds. It's easy. The whole theme of communication, and Hawking's voice in "Keep Talking" is $#@!ing amazing. Why doesn't David Gilmour write more? $#@!.

ANY chance one last Floyd album comes out? Unreleased $#@!? Anything goddamn.
    IMO, Gilmour and Wright -RIP- wrote most of the good songs (melodically), and I prefer their vocals over Waters'. But I think Roger's lyrics were WAAAAYYYY better than Gilmour's.

Gilmour DID come out with another solo album called On an Island album, but it was pretty forgettable.The lyrics were a joke. I blame his wife.

The "In Concert - Live at Robert Wayatt's Meltdown" was a pretty cool DVD. Musically awesome all around. The guest singers on Comfortably Numb (Pink from The Wall movie, and Robert Wayatt himself) were freakin' abortions... ugh.

The Live in Gdanks album was pretty good musically. A few new songs and lots of echo-y, reverbed out guitar solos.

asshat UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech's Avatar
    goin' down the grade makin' 90 miles an hour
    Next to the Beatles, PF is my all-time favorite group. They did several soundtracks in the late 60's-early 70's that were imports or extremely hard to find for a long time, a lot of really great music in there, kind of turning the corner from the Syd/psychadelic period and evolving into the Meddle/Dark side era...

asshat cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn's Avatar
    I'll throw this in on this thread. $#@!ing badass...

Love the change Bowie brings to it and, as usual, Gilmour's guitar work is something else nobody could duplicate or improve on.

My favorite band. Meddle will always be my favorite album, after that it's impossible to choose...Obscure by Clouds, Animals, Saucerful of Secrets...all fine albums.

I've seen Roger Waters twice and Gilmour once...I think the Gilmour show is the best concert I've ever been to. Just hearing Echoes live was pure bliss. Really looking forward to The Wall live show in Houston.

asshat JohnnyRage Shaggy Silver Club JohnnyRage Shaggy Silver Club JohnnyRage Shaggy Silver Club JohnnyRage Shaggy Silver Club JohnnyRage Shaggy Silver Club JohnnyRage Shaggy Silver Club JohnnyRage Shaggy Silver Club JohnnyRage Shaggy Silver Club JohnnyRage Shaggy Silver Club JohnnyRage Shaggy Silver Club JohnnyRage Shaggy Silver Club JohnnyRage's Avatar
    Take the hatchet song and the dogs barking song off of Meddle, and it's my all time favorite sleepy time cd.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Set the Controls View Post
    I've seen Roger Waters twice and Gilmour once...I think the Gilmour show is the best concert I've ever been to. Just hearing Echoes live was pure bliss. Really looking forward to The Wall live show in Houston.
    What year did you see Gilmour?

asshat Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Set the Controls View Post
    My favorite band. Meddle will always be my favorite album, after that it's impossible to choose...Obscure by Clouds, Animals, Saucerful of Secrets...all fine albums.
    You are the first and only person I've "met" that likes the older stuff. I admit to now hearing the albums you mentioned in their entirety, but what little I heard was very Beetles-esque. Not exactly what people associate w/ Pink Floyd.

BTW, just realized that your username is reference to one of the older songs.

asshat cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn's Avatar
    Just saw this on Palladia on Dish Network...

Gilmour in his 60's is like a fine wine, just gets better. The sound, the tone, the lyrics, the guitar work.

The man is a god. I pray I get to see him before he hangs 'em up.

Banned Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard.
    Note to the prior two posters: Thanks. That's really all I can say. Simply incredible.

asshat fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. fortyakers's Avatar
    I think it's a legitimate question to ask if he's already hung it up. He's already said that, while he's okay with Floyd reuniting for a one-off show, he doesn't want to do a full tour. That could mean a) I dont wanna work with Roger every day for that long (plausible) or b) I'm too old for this $#@! (likely, unfortunately).

One more for you Taz...

Watch the man literally pour his heart and soul into this thing when he starts to sing.

Goosebumps.

I just sent my buddy an email essentially saying that "Our concert going days are winding down, my friend. We're going to see Roger Waters next month. If by some miracle we could see Gilmour one more time that would be a fitting swan song to our glorious concert history".
    Last edited by Tasmaniac; 10-04-2010 at 10:34 PM.

I think it's a legitimate question to ask if he's already hung it up. He's already said that, while he's okay with Floyd reuniting for a one-off show, he doesn't want to do a full tour. That could mean a) I dont wanna work with Roger every day for that long (plausible) or b) I'm too old for this $#@! (likely, unfortunately).
    I hope you're wrong, but fear you're not.

Damn, cajun. Thanks, amigo!

I've posted on other threads how important Pink Floyd is to me, particularly due to the fact that Dark Side of the Moon came out my senior year in high school.

I've always loved them, and I would very much love to see Gilmour play one more time. Once is not enough in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhorn View Post
    I own a red Strat because of David Gilmour.

My favorite Pink Floyd song bar none. The Division Bell also had this gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
    I own a red Strat because of David Gilmour.

My favorite Pink Floyd song bar none.
    I am right there with you Super. "Coming Back to Life" literally moves me to the point where my eyes water at times when I think of my life experience next to the lyrics. It's as close to a "perfect" song as someone could ever write IMO. The way Gilmour literally puts his entire being into the singing of the first few verses before the whole band kicks in takes the whole thing to a level that is beyond any description I could conjure up.

Simply beautiful.

One of my own personal favorites.

Gilmour is releasing an album with The Orb. Here's a preview video.
    The Orb featuring David Gilmour from Pink Floyd
    Saturday 21st August 2010
    Metallic Spheres Update -- Date Confirmed and EPK
    Sony Music have now confirmed the release date of the Metallic Spheres album as 12th October in North America (11th October in the UK). The first EPK of the album, directed by filmmaker Gavin Elder, has now been made available. It features Orb members Martin 'Youth' Glover and Alex Paterson, plus footage of David contributing electric guitar and lap steel guitar during the album sessions at Youth's studio. Pink Floyd Lene2free@yahoo.com

Click To View the Fullsize Image/s

New footage has emerged of The Orb working with former Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour.

The Orb emerged at a critical time for dance music. The white heat of Acid House was dissipating, and amid the furious tempos of 'Ardkore some people just wanted to tune in, turn on and chill out.

Looking to ambient music for inspiration, The Orb were commonly linked to Pink Floyd. The pair share a love of down tempo music, with the prog giant's languid soundscapes serving as an inspiration.

Now after twenty years of worship The Orb have finally been able to work with a member of Pink Floyd. News broke earlier this year that the dance legends had used material from David Gilmour extensively on their new project.

The pair jammed last year, resulting in reels of recorded music. Deciding to embark on a new album, The Orb used David Gilmour's contributions as a starting point before spiralling into new areas.

The resulting album is named 'Metallic Spheres' and is due to be released later this year. Causing a stir amongst fans of both parties, the album is designed to be heard in two sides: 'Metallic Side' (24'48"), and 'Spheres Side' (25'09").

Also present are five musical sub divisions. Alongside The Orb's extensive tape manipulation and production skills David Gilmour has contributed lengthy guitar parts, including some pedal steel guitar

Here's Gilmour on a Warren Zevon song.

Nice find, MH.

Here's one that should put you over the top Taz...

What's funny is that the two "Gods" on this bit are overshadowed IMO by the drummer Simon Phillips. That's some serious percussion work there.

I consider myself to be somewhat of a Townshend connoisseur and I'm pretty familiar with most of Gilmour's work, but this thread has shown me that there is a lot of their material I have never seen.

Thanks for posting that, cajun!

MP5
    Division Bell is awesome, but it lost the Loudness War in the recording studio. I pray they go back to the masters and really redo it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
    Division Bell is awesome, but it lost the Loudness War in the recording studio. I pray they go back to the masters and really redo it someday.
    Can you explain more? Like general white noise, or are you talking about the "Earth Noises" on the recording?

While we're on the division bell, I think this is interesting, particularly because I just found out about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publius_Enigma

I was a bit young when the album came out, so I don't really remember it's release, at least not in the detail which would be needed to know about Publius Enigma.

Can you explain more? Like general white noise, or are you talking about the "Earth Noises" on the recording?
    I was a little perplexed by that too, but it helps if you imagine this guy on the other end typing up the post...

"You've lost the Loudness War my friends."

I was a little perplexed by that too, but it helps if you imagine this guy on the other end typing up the post...

"You've lost the Loudness War my friends."
    i lol'd. positive rep.

Fun fact: I heard Meddle for the first time tonight.

Be jealous.

I'm in love.

Fun fact: I heard Meddle for the first time tonight.

Be jealous.

I'm in love.
    No way. You've never heard Meddle before?

Way. I don't know why it's taken me so long. I devour classic rock. I suppose there's just so, so much to appreciate from DSOTM, Animals, WYWH, The Wall, The Final Cut, Division Bell, and Piper that I neglected this one. When I was in middle school--when I first got into PF--I used to, along with other bands that I liked, "save" some music so I could get into it later. In other words, I'd intentionally not listen to an amazing part of an artist's catalogue because I wanted to have something to go to when I was getting back into an artist. As a music fan, I'm sure you go through phases too. Meddle was the album I saved. I never went back, though, for the reason I mentioned, even though I've been through several Floyd phases.

I mean, I've heard echoes and one of these days. But I firmly believe that you need to listen to the entire album for a group like Floyd. They don't just make an album and put the tracks in wherever they see fit. It's completely intentional. One of These Days and Echoes make a lot more sense to me (not that I didn't already like them) after hearing the entire album. But I hadn't heard Pillow of Wind, or Fearless. Both are absolutely amazing. When I heard Echoes come in as the last track, I was kind of sad that I'd already heard it. I mean, I would've shat myself had I known that the best song was yet to come. Just hearing that submarine-radar-sounding intro gave me chills, but alas, it's because I knew what was coming. I'm kinda glad the middle schooler in me was so forward thinking (the post-college fortyakers extends his thanks).

I also saved "Obscured By Clouds", but I think Meddle will be hard to surpass.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    I mean, I've heard echoes and one of these days. But I firmly believe that you need to listen to the entire album for a group like Floyd. They don't just make an album and put the tracks in wherever they see fit. It's completely intentional.
    My biggest pet peeve about how music is distributed now. Pink Floyd couldn't put out "The Wall" (or probably any other album) in today's music environment. Put any Pink Floyd album on shuffle and you will bet disoriented very quickly.

I bought "Wish You Were Here" when I was a freshman in high school because the store didn't have "Dark Side". Hadn't really heard the music that much, just love the album cover and the "Wish" cover intrigued me. Bought "The Wall" the day it came out my senior yr of high school. Then they started getting some significant radio airplay with "Brick, Part 2". Grade school and jr. high kids all singing a Pink Floyd song. I still listen to "Wish" and "Dark Side" almost every night when I go to bed. Love that band.
    Last edited by hullabelew; 10-06-2010 at 09:03 AM.

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    A bigger problem is that 99% of albums that are produced today are mostly made up of filler songs and not worth listening to from beginning to end. The days of bands writing 7 or 8 good songs for an album are gone unfortunately.
    Last edited by kevwun; 10-06-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Great thread and I didn't see this posted anywhere...this coming Sunday, 10-10-10, if you get VH1 Classic on your tv, tune in or set DVR'S at 10:00 pm for "Which one's Pink?". Fantastic documentary of their early days. Not to be missed if you're a true PF fan. Also, I just saw on there another doc about the making of "Dark Side of the Moon" this past Monday. The whole band plus Alan Parsons broke down the production of the album and the vintage footage of the guys in their 20's was quite a throwback. Great doc and loaded with input from everybody involved. I looked ahead on VH1 Classic's tv schedule and it isn't due back up this week, but keep checking the schedule and set DVR's when it does return. Just go to VH1Classic and click on "tv schedule" to see when it returns. Well worth the time.

^^^ Thanks for the info!

Solo Acoustic Gilmour. Wish You Were Here: (solo at 2:20 kills me) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHGbA7I5HZY

Let's try it with the video, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    Let's try it with the video, shall we?
    Taught myself the rhythm guitar piece to that song based off of that very video. One of these days I'm going to tackle the lead.

Thanks for posting.

I listened to Meddle on the way to work and to and from lunch today. That's a great album.

Danger Mouse on Pink Floyd
    To unsuspecting consumers, "The Grey Album" seemed like the union of two cultures that were not only different but ideologically opposed; it made people realize musical connections they never knew existed. That is more or less the story of Burton's life. His childhood was spent in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood in Spring Valley, N.Y., where his was one of only two black families. "My parents didn't tell me anything about why I was different," he insists. "I think that was good. I had no idea why I looked the way I looked, so I had to use my imagination." These were the 1980's, so Burton listened to Poison. When he became a teenager, his parents moved to Georgia; everyone there was black. He listened to RZA. By the time he got to college, he had become deeply obsessed with hip-hop; for a long while, it was the only musical genre he consumed. But then he decided to have a beer in public, and everything changed.

"I remember hearing Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' in a bar," Burton says. "This was around 1995. And I remember thinking it was so beautiful. It just put me in a daze. I asked someone what it was, and they were like: 'You don't know? This is Pink Floyd.' Now, I had heard of Pink Floyd, but I never really knew what they sounded like. I had never actually played Pink Floyd records. And I suddenly found myself wondering, Why have I spent all these years never listening to this music? And the reason was that I was afraid to do anything that would have seemed socially unacceptable. I was afraid that people wouldn't think of me as this hip-hop guy, because hip-hop was my Thing. So then I went out and bought every Pink Floyd record."

Posted on the Roger Waters thread but $#@! it. This video gives me wood about next month's concert.

Last edited by Tasmaniac; 10-07-2010 at 02:52 PM.

"I remember hearing Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' in a bar...And I remember thinking it was so beautiful. It just put me in a daze...Now, I had heard of Pink Floyd, but I never really knew what they sounded like. I had never actually played Pink Floyd records. And I suddenly found myself wondering, Why have I spent all these years never listening to this music?...So then I went out and bought every Pink Floyd record."
    This is me exactly. I never shied away from Pink Floyd; I was just somehow never exposed to their music until I got a computer in college and downloaded some of their songs. I went through a phase for about six months where I nearly listened to nothing other than Pink Floyd. They they made a stretch of albums, particularly DSOTM to Animals, that captured an essence of what music can be in a way that very, very few other popular recording acts ever have or ever will.
    Last edited by SmartAsset; 10-07-2010 at 04:17 PM.

fucktard RKRinDKR names their bicycles. All three of them. RKRinDKR names their bicycles. All three of them. RKRinDKR names their bicycles. All three of them. RKRinDKR's Avatar
    Cool thread, brings back good memories. Saw Pink Floyd at Texas Stadium back in 1994, best show I've ever seen.

From the concert I saw in Fort Worth in 1977:

asshat UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech's Avatar
    goin' down the grade makin' 90 miles an hour
    That 1977 tour was a monster. Animals is my favorite PF album, the Floyd at their angriest and some of their best playing ever. If you can find one, pick up any (ahem) bootleg from the 5/9/77 Oakland show, probably the best PF bootleg ever (in both performance and sound quality...)

Last edited by UTCzech; 10-07-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: fuck typos

We need tour stories.

Tas, Czech, RKR, spill. What was it like? When did your boner go down?

The 1977 "Animals" concert was the only concert during which I was entirely sober. I'm not sure I would do that again if I had the chance, but the concert occurred during a brief period of sobriety in my life.

Three of my best friends and I drove up from Austin. I was the designated driver. They were tripping their ass off by the time we walked into the Tarrant County Convention Center.

There were all sorts of weird nature sounds preceding the concert. It's hard to describe. The people sitting in front of us were speaking in tongues. My buddies were convinced they were planted by Floyd to freak people out.

What I most remember about the Animals part of the concert was the giant red-eyed pig that floated over the auditorium. What I found most interesting is that they played entire albums from beginning to end. They played all of Animals, all of Wish You Were Here, and half of Dark Side of the Moon. The animation during Welcome to the Machine was one of the most amazing things that I have ever seen.

When we left the concert I almost had a spectacular car accident while trying to get back to I-35. My buddies will say to this day that my ability to avoid that accident was unbelievable, and it would have been a horrible way to end an otherwise brilliant evening.

I would have to rank that Animals concert as the third best concert I ever saw. It might have been ranked higher if I wasn't straight.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast