+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading right now?

Retribution (Max Hastings)--a history of the last year of the war in the Pacific
    Excellent book.

Currently reading "Battleground Prussia". It chronicles the Red Army's push across the Baltics and Prussia enroute to Berlin.

asshat Mike_Tyson is a rep whore. Mike_Tyson is a rep whore. Mike_Tyson is a rep whore. Mike_Tyson is a rep whore. Mike_Tyson is a rep whore. Mike_Tyson is a rep whore. Mike_Tyson is a rep whore. Mike_Tyson is a rep whore. Mike_Tyson is a rep whore. Mike_Tyson is a rep whore. Mike_Tyson is a rep whore. Mike_Tyson's Avatar
    High Fidelity. Loved the movie. Book is good thus far.

asshat Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club
    Fiction: I'm going back and forth between A Clash of Kings and White Noise.

Non-fiction: Last Call: The Rise and Fall of American Prohibition by Daniel Okrent. I recommend it if you're interested in this period of history.

asshat 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5's Avatar
    Last book: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Current book: Into the Rising Sun by Patrick O'Donnell

Next book: Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides

A book you should read if you like WW2 history: Escape From Davao by John Lucaks

bunghole mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_turkey View Post
    Ditto

asshat tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak's Avatar
    Eggers' "Zeitoun"

Just finished Klosterman's "Downtown Owl". Meh.

asshat cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo's Avatar

bunghole grazinhorn slams and goes hard. grazinhorn slams and goes hard. grazinhorn slams and goes hard. grazinhorn slams and goes hard. grazinhorn slams and goes hard. grazinhorn slams and goes hard. grazinhorn slams and goes hard. grazinhorn slams and goes hard. grazinhorn slams and goes hard. grazinhorn slams and goes hard. grazinhorn slams and goes hard. grazinhorn's Avatar

asshat MrX can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MrX can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MrX can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MrX can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MrX can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MrX can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MrX can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MrX can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MrX can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MrX can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MrX can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MrX's Avatar
    "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.

I read In Cold Blood a few years back and was a little disappointed. It's the only thing I've ever read by Truman Capote. Is that supposed to be one of his better works?

Deputy Dawg Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club
    I read In Cold Blood a few years back and was a little disappointed. It's the only thing I've ever read by Truman Capote. Is that supposed to be one of his better works?
    I suspect you have already read it but if not "Perfect Storm" is a good book. Much better than movie.

Anybody have any recomendtions for a Gladwell & Freakonomics fan?

bunghole Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds's Avatar
    Oh yeah? You should try this one out:

I have to give mother mopar the win on that one......been there, done that, got the stripe.....good luck MM

bunghole Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds Shaggy Bronze Club Dances with Dachshunds's Avatar
    Currently reading Executive Intent by Dale Brown. Next up....Dubya's Decision Points.

asshat michaelpshayes might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? michaelpshayes might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? michaelpshayes might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? michaelpshayes might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? michaelpshayes might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? michaelpshayes might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? michaelpshayes might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? michaelpshayes might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? michaelpshayes might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? michaelpshayes might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? michaelpshayes might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? michaelpshayes's Avatar
    The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan

just finished ..The Kennedy Detail ...

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhlegm View Post
    Green Eggs And Ham
    I bought this book because I volunteer to read as part of the "Read Across America" program where people read to kids at schools to encourage them to read. This is actually still my favorite book of all time. Yeah, I know, cue the Chris Hansen pic.

While at the bookstore, I picked up "Lamb" by Christopher Moore. It's basically the story of Jesus seen through the eyes of his best friend, Biff. Biff would fit right in here on the Shag, so it's a pretty interesting book, especially for a heathen like me.

Also reading Godel Escher and Bach, an Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstader. This book is kind of a trip, comparing math (and computer science), art, and music. Mixes in humorous parables. Not an easy read though, you can't skip any words or it won't make any sense at all. If you know one of the three subjects well but not the other two, it's really interesting.

Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon

Had to read it after watching The Wire for the second time. It's great.

Also, am I the only one who regretting reading the Millennium Trilogy? Salander's a great character, but I just want those hours back that I could have been reading something else.

asshat judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    McMurtry's Sin Killer. Actually made the mistake of reading the two prefacing books first.

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    How to win friends and influence people
    Keith Richards Life

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron McKelvey View Post
    Also, am I the only one who regretting reading the Millennium Trilogy? Salander's a great character, but I just want those hours back that I could have been reading something else.
    I liked them. Very nicely done imo.

asshat Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpshayes View Post
    this is an amazing read.

For those interested, its about the dust bowl 1930's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/25/bo...w/25royte.html

SPOILER??????

"Families couldn't huddle together for warmth or love: the static electricity would knock them down. Children died of dust pneumonia, and livestock suffocated on dirt, their insides packed with soil."

"They clubbed to death tens of thousands of wheat-fattened rabbits and poured boiling water on the tarantulas and centipedes that covered their plank walls. Starving, they pickled tumbleweed, and ate yucca roots and roadkill."

Quote Originally Posted by Foosters Galore View Post
    this is an amazing read.

For those interested, its about the dust bowl 1930's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/25/bo...w/25royte.html

SPOILER??????

"Families couldn't huddle together for warmth or love: the static electricity would knock them down. Children died of dust pneumonia, and livestock suffocated on dirt, their insides packed with soil."

"They clubbed to death tens of thousands of wheat-fattened rabbits and poured boiling water on the tarantulas and centipedes that covered their plank walls. Starving, they pickled tumbleweed, and ate yucca roots and roadkill."

Gotta check this one out..

Quote Originally Posted by washparkhorn View Post

My "fun" book is "Country Driving: A Journey through China from Farm to Factory" by Peter Hessler.
    Heh, I just read this one yesterday. As an expat who has lived in China for almost 4 years now, I can confirm that he is dead-on with damn near every observation he makes about modern China. Highly recommend this one to anyone interested in that field.

Just now starting Balkan Babel, about the disintegration of Yugoslavia. So far so good.

asshat Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn's Avatar
    Mark Twain's Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc. Twain's introduction says he spent 14 years researching and writing this book--"the others needed no preparation & got none." It was originally published anonymously- as if it had been written by one of Jeanne's aides in the Fifteenth Century, but Twain owned up to it later.

There was a Jeanne d'Arc Festival of sorts on TCM a few weeks ago and I got hooked. Bergman, Seberg, Jovovich versions on DVD now, but I am slowing down.
    Last edited by Idahorn; 04-12-2011 at 11:50 AM.

asshat washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taargus View Post
    Heh, I just read this one yesterday. As an expat who has lived in China for almost 4 years now, I can confirm that he is dead-on with damn near every observation he makes about modern China. Highly recommend this one to anyone interested in that field.
    That's great to hear. I am amazed at how little I know about China. His story is quite an adventure.

asshat MAROON Shaggy Bronze Club MAROON Shaggy Bronze Club MAROON Shaggy Bronze Club MAROON Shaggy Bronze Club MAROON Shaggy Bronze Club MAROON Shaggy Bronze Club MAROON Shaggy Bronze Club MAROON Shaggy Bronze Club MAROON Shaggy Bronze Club MAROON Shaggy Bronze Club MAROON Shaggy Bronze Club MAROON's Avatar
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Great book. I'll never hurry through Clayton. NM again. All that dust bowl history in one little nondescript town. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
    Anybody have any recomendtions for a Gladwell & Freakonomics fan?
    I'm a huge fan of both of those as well, and I would recommend either of the Dan Ariely books. He's a behavioral economist, does some interesting research into why humans choose what they choose/think what they think.

Predictably Irrational
    The Upside of Irrationality

I'd probably read them in order if I were you. I don't always agree with the conclusions of Gladwell and Freakonomics/Superfreakonomics, but the anecdotes and research stories always entertain. I feel the same way about Ariely.

Quote Originally Posted by MAROON View Post
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    Also read that a few months ago...thoroughly enjoyed it. Vivid language, characters. Would highly recommend.

I just finished The Extra 2% by Johah Keri. OK, but pretty much covered the same territory as Moneyball but with a different franchise. Also, teams are now much more reluctant to give out secrets, particularly proprietary stats/formulas, which hurts the book some.

asshat PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace's Avatar
    I feel for you. That was my life precisely one year ago.

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokamak View Post
    Eggers' "Zeitoun"

Just finished Klosterman's "Downtown Owl". Meh.

I enjoyed Downtown Owl, but agree it was meh-ish. I like Klosterman though, and I think that has made all the difference.

If you want to read the good version of that book, try "The Last Picture Show" by Larry McMurtry.

I'm finishing up Normal Mailer's "The Naked and the Dead" right now, and haven't really been blown away so far, but I'm bad with names and the character POV keeps changing so I think that's a factor. Latest thing I've ripped through has been the Millennium Trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.). Recommend.

asshat Marxist_Horn slams and goes hard. Marxist_Horn slams and goes hard. Marxist_Horn slams and goes hard. Marxist_Horn slams and goes hard. Marxist_Horn slams and goes hard. Marxist_Horn slams and goes hard. Marxist_Horn slams and goes hard. Marxist_Horn slams and goes hard. Marxist_Horn slams and goes hard. Marxist_Horn slams and goes hard. Marxist_Horn slams and goes hard. Marxist_Horn's Avatar

+1 for step one. good luck yall.

asshat mstrat slams and goes hard. mstrat slams and goes hard. mstrat slams and goes hard. mstrat slams and goes hard. mstrat slams and goes hard. mstrat slams and goes hard. mstrat slams and goes hard. mstrat slams and goes hard. mstrat slams and goes hard. mstrat slams and goes hard. mstrat slams and goes hard. mstrat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texdude2006 View Post
    Death to the BCS
    Good information. The writing style wasn't much better than someone's rant on one of these boards though.

I'm reading this:

Last edited by mstrat; 04-13-2011 at 12:52 AM.

asshat LCHorn Shaggy Bronze Club LCHorn Shaggy Bronze Club LCHorn Shaggy Bronze Club LCHorn Shaggy Bronze Club LCHorn Shaggy Bronze Club LCHorn Shaggy Bronze Club LCHorn Shaggy Bronze Club LCHorn Shaggy Bronze Club LCHorn Shaggy Bronze Club LCHorn Shaggy Bronze Club LCHorn Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by shakahorn View Post
    Also reading Godel Escher and Bach, an Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstader. This book is kind of a trip, comparing math (and computer science), art, and music. Mixes in humorous parables. Not an easy read though, you can't skip any words or it won't make any sense at all. If you know one of the three subjects well but not the other two, it's really interesting.
    If you make it through this, please start a thread on it and let's discuss it. I've made it through the first hundred pages a couple of times only to be defeated. Its quite possible that I've simply reached the limits of my intelligence and/or ability to comprehend it, but I'm fascinated by the subject and I'd like to try again if I can get a little help with it.

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    I love these threads. I have gotten so many good book recs off of them.

Banned mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses
    The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova

Decided to read A Clockwork Orange. Probably a good thing that I had already seen the movie, because the book's language definitely takes some adjustment. Good stuff, though.

Animal Farm.

Horrifying.

asshat Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog's Avatar
    Somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
    Zero History by William Gibson
    Oh, hell yeah, I'm a big Gibson fan.

asshat Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn's Avatar
    Deft: I've read Fehrenbacher's history of the Comanche, but not this one by Gwynne. Is it good? Not sure how one goes about gauging the 'power' of this or that Indian tribe, but I would be interested in how the author reaches this conclusion. I almost hope it is not due to Quanah Parker being a half-breed (as it used to be phrased).

As we all must know, Phil Sheridan (something of a cavalryman himself) said the Comanche were the finest light cavalry in the world.

As a young boy, I was nearly always confused by the similarity between Cavalry and Calvary. Being raised in the context of the U.S. Army, and with pretty regular Sundays with the Chaplain, this was occasionally embarrassing. Before I was six, my Dad took me to the grave of "Comanche." (Major Keogh's horse --the only survivor of the Little Bighorn.) This was somewhere within Ft. Sam Houston; he said something about the 7th Cavalry meeting its Calvary that really threw me off--and I was too stupid to ask for a clarification.

asshat Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Snow Dog's Avatar
    Somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert
    Ambrose's book on Crazy Horse and Custer is pretty good if you like that genre, Idahorn.

Banned Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard. Tasmaniac slams and goes hard.
    Finishing up Cormac McCarthy's "Suttree". I am not sure why I waited this long to read it.

asshat Damor might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Damor might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Damor might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Damor might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Damor might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Damor might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Damor might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Damor might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Damor might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Damor might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Damor might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Damor's Avatar
    The best of the trilogy, although I recommend you go ahead and finish it out.
    Spoiler!

I have been working on Blood Meridian for what seems like months. It's great, but life has gotten in the way of good uninterrupted reading.

Up next, I'm planning to reread stuff I didn't do a good job of appreciating in high school. Starting with To Kill a Mockingbird.

Just finished "Life" by Keith Richards. As a Rolling Stones fan, it's a fascinating book.

Also finished up "Innocence" by David Hosp. Modern lawyer/detective thriller. Love that stuff.

Currently "Fifth Witness" by Michael Connelly. The latest "Lincoln Lawyer" novel.

Banned mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    Ambrose's book on Crazy Horse and Custer is pretty good if you like that genre, Idahorn.

The Comanche drove the Lakota into the northern great plains. When your sacred land is in the Dakotas, something has gone horribly wrong in the life of your tribe.

asshat TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR's Avatar
    Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codebreaker's War. Actually re-reading it because I've burned through the half dozen or so books I got for Christmas.

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    The Comanches also drove the Apaches out of much of their original territory in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by BearLakeHorn View Post
    Outliers. I have liked it more than "Super Freakonomics" which I finished before this.
    Awesome book. Post up what you think about it all when you're done with it. Malcolm Gladwell makes some pretty convincing arguments in it.

Somebody else mentioned "A Clockwork Orange". Also an awesome book. If you read it quick, the language really gets to you and you keep thinking in terms of the Nadsat words.

Anyway, just finished reading War & Peace (insanely long, but a great story) and Animal Farm (really short, great story, pretty horrifying as mentioned above by The Shaggy Conscience.

Currently reading The Last Mohican and John Lennon: The Life.
    Last edited by VegasRob; 04-13-2011 at 02:32 PM.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast