+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27 67 73 74 75 76 77
Results 3,801 to 3,845 of 3845

Thread: What book are you reading right now?

Fantastic

asshat DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV's Avatar
    Finished these three:

Finished Ike's Gamble tonight. The subtitle may be "America's Rise to Dominance," but it's more about the comedy of errors that was U.S. policy towards Nasser and Egypt during Eisenhower's administration.

Decent look at the early/mid 70s Oakland A's.

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    Still struggling through Blood Meridian. Not an easy read.

asshat SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SBBruin View Post
    Anyone read this? I have it and love WWII stuff. Will be starting a book this week.

Pic disappeared. Just started this. Anyone read it? Interesting so far.

asshat NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop's Avatar
    Just ordered IT on Amazon. Hoping I can finish it before the movie comes out (yes I've seen the TV mini series about 50 times)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJay View Post

Decent look at the early/mid 70s Oakland A's.
    Gonna get that for my brother...we lived in Vallejo during that run and my bro went to some of those World Series games

bunghole MalibuSheriff Shaggy Bronze Club MalibuSheriff Shaggy Bronze Club MalibuSheriff Shaggy Bronze Club MalibuSheriff Shaggy Bronze Club MalibuSheriff Shaggy Bronze Club MalibuSheriff Shaggy Bronze Club MalibuSheriff Shaggy Bronze Club MalibuSheriff Shaggy Bronze Club MalibuSheriff Shaggy Bronze Club MalibuSheriff Shaggy Bronze Club MalibuSheriff Shaggy Bronze Club MalibuSheriff's Avatar
    Ends of the World by Peter Brannen.

If you want a preview, read the Atlantic article by same author:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/532914/

asshat Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals's Avatar

After having listened to a lot of Dan Carlin ancient history podcasts, I found the following two at Half Priced and was very happy. The two go together really well and are accessible to the newb on ancient history. They alternatively give a 60,000 foot view of Rome, and then the day to day, boots on the ground view of Roman life. Both quick reads.

Now that I'm going a bit further back:

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    I'm going to have to check out her book on Pompeii. SPQR was a good refresher right before we went to Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by kevwun View Post
    I'm going to have to check out her book on Pompeii. SPQR was a good refresher right before we went to Rome.
    Wish I'd read both before going. Fortunately, you can check out most of the sites referenced in the Pompeii book online.

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    Yeah, I wish I had known she had also written one on Pompeii.

asshat bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova's Avatar

Great writing and interesting throughout, but it's more a large scale chronology than anything else and really would have benefitted from some context and themes.

asshat Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn is a rep whore. Idahorn's Avatar
    Currently on a Martin Middlebrook kick. Two books on the Falklands war (a later one from the Argentine perspective), several books on the bombing campaign against Germany (mostly RAF-Berlin, Nuremberg, Berlin, Peenemunde, Schweinfurt, and I ordered one I didn't have on Hamburg). Also one on the sinking of the Prince of Wales and Repulse by the Japanese. I think I have others on the Somme and a WWII Atlantic Convoy. Nothing flashy and he makes a serious effort to look at both sides objectively.

bunghole NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies's Avatar
    Well read account of the plans of the American government to save itself during a nuclear attack:

asshat DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV's Avatar
    And done with this one

Some interesting information, and places recent conflicts in historical context.

Quote Originally Posted by bozo_casanova View Post
    massey is my go-to guy for the romamovs, but i'm a sucker for new releases of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by The University View Post
    massey is my go-to guy for the romamovs, but i'm a sucker for new releases of that era.
    Same...it's why I re-read Dreadnought every year

asshat Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life's Avatar
    Finally digging into this.

asshat Disco Missile Shaggy Bronze Club Disco Missile Shaggy Bronze Club Disco Missile Shaggy Bronze Club Disco Missile Shaggy Bronze Club Disco Missile Shaggy Bronze Club Disco Missile Shaggy Bronze Club Disco Missile Shaggy Bronze Club Disco Missile Shaggy Bronze Club Disco Missile Shaggy Bronze Club Disco Missile Shaggy Bronze Club Disco Missile Shaggy Bronze Club Disco Missile's Avatar
    Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.
    So far the most realistic military dialogue I've read in fiction. I'm hooked.

Savant THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone's Avatar
    Go read The Punch Escrow right now.

asshat MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm's Avatar
    reading,

The One Device.

very interesting, Steve was a total $#@!head. and screwed the pooch several times.

and his developers had to FORCE him to let the iphong have apps. he wanted to keep it like the $#@!ty ass ipod (a closed system totally controlled by apple) which was a complete flopperoonie until stevo was FORCED to have itunes ported to windows. lulz. anyway iphong was going the ipod flopperroonie route until apps were allowed and then it took off.

very entertaining book.
    Last edited by MrPhlegm; 08-12-2017 at 01:31 AM.

asshat MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP's Avatar
    Just finished The Expanse series (Great series), so I decided to go read Fantasy for a while to take a quick break from SciFi, started reading Ascend Online:

So far it's pretty good, I'm a huge gamer so I enjoy the thought processes that the character goes through everytime it's time to up his stats.

asshat Kevin grows his own roses Kevin grows his own roses Kevin grows his own roses Kevin grows his own roses Kevin grows his own roses Kevin grows his own roses Kevin grows his own roses Kevin grows his own roses Kevin grows his own roses Kevin grows his own roses Kevin grows his own roses
    The Recognitions by William Gaddis.

Hey nice thread here.

I was reading The Rape of Nanking, but had to stop about 3/4 of the way through to take a break. It's just never ending $#@!ed up $#@!.

Picked up The White War by Mark Thompson (about the Italian-Austrian front in WW1) so I'll start on that and mix in some cheesy light sci-fi from Kindle Unlimited to break the serious business up. SPQR up there is a good read. In the Name of Rome and Rubicon are pretty good as well, and similarly quick IIRC. I can't remember the authors off the top of my head right now, except that Adrian Goldsworthy wrote one of them. Heh.
    Last edited by MadBurgerMaker; 08-18-2017 at 07:23 PM.

bunghole NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies's Avatar
    This is an important book because it opens up about the stigmas of mental illness:

asshat MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP's Avatar
    Finished Ascend online and starting the Magic 2.0 series (Off to be the Wizard is the first book by Scott Meyer) and it's had me actually laughing out loud, so well written I wish I had his talent:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

asshat Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen.

I'm reading this on my iPad and the formatting is terrible. Good book, but it's a beating getting through the typos, random special characters, etc.

asshat Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen. Bath Salt Dealer has a gigantic e-peen.
    Previous book was this:

Really enjoyed it.

asshat BurdineBandit Shaggy Bronze Club BurdineBandit Shaggy Bronze Club BurdineBandit Shaggy Bronze Club BurdineBandit Shaggy Bronze Club BurdineBandit Shaggy Bronze Club BurdineBandit Shaggy Bronze Club BurdineBandit Shaggy Bronze Club BurdineBandit Shaggy Bronze Club BurdineBandit Shaggy Bronze Club BurdineBandit Shaggy Bronze Club BurdineBandit Shaggy Bronze Club BurdineBandit's Avatar
    Reading "No Good Men Among the Living" right now (about 1/3 through) thanks to Shagg recs. Interesting read, and highlights the bull$#@! coming from our Govt. regarding Afghanistan recently.

Finished this one the other night:

Very interesting sociological look at jihad in France.

asshat PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. PokerFace's Avatar

Little behind the times on this, but really good so far. Crazy how much everything in Washington seems to have changed in just the last 10 years.

Finished this (also posted in the sci-fi thread); it was a fun read.

Was recommended in another thread. Just finished it.

asshat BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory's Avatar

I'm still on this one. I'm a notoriously slow reader and I'm getting through around 2% a night, but it's a great book and I couldn't recommend enough.

What book are you reading right now?

Dumped Hyperion cantos (see other thread) so I've moved on to A short trip through Hell, which was a quick read and now I'm on Divine Misfortune by A Lee Martinez. Quetzecotl is a character in it coincidently

Quote Originally Posted by tonytexan View Post
    I've recently gotten into Don Winslow. These two are a fictional account about the Mexican drug world. Really good.

Thanks for these. I read Savages and The Kings of Cool after the movie came out. He's pretty good and the subject matter is somewhat unique.

asshat Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life Shaggy Bronze Club Range Life's Avatar

I just finished American Assassin by Vince Flynn. I have to say that it wasn't all that good at all. It didn't really do anything unique in this spy/action genre, and just seemed to follow some very basic formulas. I don't think I'll continue in the Mitch Rapp series.
    Last edited by Rollo Tomassi; Yesterday at 10:42 AM.

The last book I read, was outloud. My first grader loved hearing it.

My other kid loved this introduction; a blast from the past:

Just started the Red Rising Trilogy, so far it's pretty good, but I'm only about 25% through the first book. Seems like most of it has been done before, but it's fresh enough so far to keep me interested.

asshat PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger's Avatar
    Ivanhoe

Just for fun

I think I'd rather pull out my fingernails than read that book again.

asshat PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevwun View Post
    I think I'd rather pull out my fingernails than read that book again.
    I don't have to write any paper on it, just reading it so it's not bad.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27 67 73 74 75 76 77