+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 291 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guitar Pron Thread

asshat VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d's Avatar
    Thinline is probably my next guitar whenever I can justify buying another guitar.

asshat Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero's Avatar
    No guitar pr0n. =(

But give me your opinion here... if you had to choose between a strat or tele, which would it be?

What if the strat was an early 2000's Highway 1 with Van Zandt pickups and C-shaped neck that is awesome to play; and the tele was a '88 American with a chunky U-shaped neck that EVERYONE who heard it said sounded amazing?

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    All else being equal, i'd look at the Tele. Depends on what your looking for and what you wanna do though. Id bet if you played both, one would stand out. Just like Quarterbacks, some guitars just have "it", while others are dogs despite pedigrees.

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUTFan View Post
    All else being equal, i'd look at the Tele. Depends on what your looking for and what you wanna do though. Id bet if you played both, one would stand out. Just like Quarterbacks, some guitars just have "it", while others are dogs despite pedigrees.
    what is the major difference between a Tele and a Strat? Im just an average player and would like some input from some of you good players who know about this stuff. my understanding was always that a Tele was better at higher notes and generally preferred for country music and blues while Strats are typically better for rock. also Strats had more of a fuller sound when compared with the thinner sound of a Tele. and lastly Teles typically had fewer pickups that are flat panel as opposed to the open Strat pickups and no tremolo..is this pretty accurate?

also the necks have different shapes i believe...
    Last edited by mileslong; 10-24-2011 at 06:17 PM.

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    They're both extremely versatile guitars that can be used in pretty much any genre. I guess I've never seen a jazz guy with a tele, but you don't really see them with Strats too much either (and wtf do I know about jazz anyways).

The basic difference in shape - Strat is double cutaway and contoured body (so, instead of flat there's kinda a belly indention and it slopes where your right forearm rests), Tele is single cutaway and flat bodied (it's just a slab). Both have single coil pickups, though the Teles are a bit different than the Strat, Strat has 3 pickups (5 different pickup combinations) and the Tele has two (three different pickup combos). Teles are hardtail (no vibrato/tremolo*), Strats have a vibrato/tremolo. Having a vibrato is not necessarily better btw. A hardtail guitar typically stays in tune better than one with a vibrato. I have the springs adjusted on my strat so that the bridge is flat against the body of the guitar rather than "floating" for this reason, since I never use the vibrato on my strat.

The difference with the pickups.... the fat, high output bridge pickup is a big part of what makes the famous snappy tele twang. You can approximate it with a strat but not reproduce it. But you can't get the Strat's quack (think the lead guitar on "Sultans of Swing") that comes from combining the neck or bridge pickups with the middle pickup on a strat. The strat is more versatile, but the tele is $#@!ing awesome.

I'm not positive about a difference in what the "standard" neck shape is on either guitar, you can get either guitar in a wide variety of neck shapes (and the shape we're talking about here is a cross section of the neck). Of course the headstock shape is different, but that's just cosmetic.

Teles are extremely popular in country, almost to the point of ubiquity. Strats have had more of a presence in blues than Teles, though there have certainly been Telecaster slinging blues guys, Albert Collins being one. Both used a lot in pop and rock. You don't really see a lot of teles when you start to get more towards the metal/hard rock end of things, but to be fair with the recent stuff you don't really see a lot of true classic strats on that end of things either, and Jimmy Page played a Telecaster all over Led Zeppelin I so $#@! you if you don't think that guitar can rock.

As for which would I pick out of Superhero's two....

I dunno man, you gotta play both and get the one that speaks to you. Right now out of those two I'd go with the Tele, but I don't have a true honest to goodness Tele in the stable right now, and I do have a great Strat. I can't really imagine living without a Strat, but if I had a real Tele right now I'd probably play it more frequently than I play my Strat. But whenever someone with a kid wanting to play guitar asks me what they should get I tell them to go get them a Strat.

If the neck on the Tele bothers you, and you can't get the Strat to sound amazing, don't buy either one, go find another one that feels good and sounds awesome. Or buy the Tele and swap out the neck with one you like.

*vibrato vs. tremolo - Vibrato is actually the correct musical term, but Leo Fender called it a tremolo, so they are both used and accepted, except by maybe douchebags. Fender wasn't a musician and couldn't even play guitar, he was just $#@!ing brilliant designer and a pragmatic guy who from the outside looking in thought "Why not use a bolt on neck and just put the pickup on a $#@!ing slab of wood?" and revolutionized the guitar world. And he $#@!ed up what "tremolo" means, confusing generations. Vibrato refers to varying pitch, tremolo refers to varying volume. Tremolo effects pedals are commonly used and can be pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Celery Man; 10-24-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: forgot to explain the vibrato/tremolo thing

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celery Man View Post
    They're both extremely versatile guitars that can be used in pretty much any genre. I guess I've never seen a jazz guy with a tele, but you don't really see them with Strats too much either (and wtf do I know about jazz anyways).

The basic difference in shape - Strat is double cutaway and contoured body (so, instead of flat there's kinda a belly indention and it slopes where your right forearm rests), Tele is single cutaway and flat bodied (it's just a slab). Both have single coil pickups, though the Teles are a bit different than the Strat, Strat has 3 pickups (5 different pickup combinations) and the Tele has two (three different pickup combos). Teles are hardtail (no vibrato/tremolo*), Strats have a vibrato/tremolo. Having a vibrato is not necessarily better btw. A hardtail guitar typically stays in tune better than one with a vibrato. I have the springs adjusted on my strat so that the bridge is flat against the body of the guitar rather than "floating" for this reason, since I never use the vibrato on my strat.

The difference with the pickups.... the fat, high output bridge pickup is a big part of what makes the famous snappy tele twang. You can approximate it with a strat but not reproduce it. But you can't get the Strat's quack (think the lead guitar on "Sultans of Swing") that comes from combining the neck or bridge pickups with the middle pickup on a strat. The strat is more versatile, but the tele is $#@!ing awesome.

I'm not positive about a difference in what the "standard" neck shape is on either guitar, you can get either guitar in a wide variety of neck shapes (and the shape we're talking about here is a cross section of the neck). Of course the headstock shape is different, but that's just cosmetic.

Teles are extremely popular in country, almost to the point of ubiquity. Strats have had more of a presence in blues than Teles, though there have certainly been Telecaster slinging blues guys, Albert Collins being one. Both used a lot in pop and rock. You don't really see a lot of teles when you start to get more towards the metal/hard rock end of things, but to be fair with the recent stuff you don't really see a lot of true classic strats on that end of things either, and Jimmy Page played a Telecaster all over Led Zeppelin I so $#@! you if you don't think that guitar can rock.

As for which would I pick out of Superhero's two....

I dunno man, you gotta play both and get the one that speaks to you. Right now out of those two I'd go with the Tele, but I don't have a true honest to goodness Tele in the stable right now, and I do have a great Strat. I can't really imagine living without a Strat, but if I had a real Tele right now I'd probably play it more frequently than I play my Strat. But whenever someone with a kid wanting to play guitar asks me what they should get I tell them to go get them a Strat.

If the neck on the Tele bothers you, and you can't get the Strat to sound amazing, don't buy either one, go find another one that feels good and sounds awesome. Or buy the Tele and swap out the neck with one you like.
    great thanks!

Great summary on Tele vs. Strat. Personally, I only like strats for lead guitar. I've never liked the way chords sound on them... ever. I'd go with the tele every time.

asshat ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax's Avatar
    Mike Stern plays a tele. He played with Miles Davis.

He's more jazz fusion, but here's Shawn Lane soloing in a Strat lookalike. (holy $#@! it's just insane how he plays)

Quote Originally Posted by Crayon1973 View Post
    Great summary on Tele vs. Strat. Personally, I only like strats for lead guitar. I've never liked the way chords sound on them... ever. I'd go with the tele every time.
    crayon, all ill ever be able to do is play rhythm and barre chords, what electric would you suggest for a player like me. i love to play things like ac/dc, neil young etc...

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    re: my earlier discussion of a tremolo with a floating bridge vs. flat to the body, here's a pic of my sister's MIM (made in mexico - "standard stratocaster") strat which is set up as it came from the manufacturer with a floating bridge (it has been in my custody since she moved to NYC 5 years ago) vs. my AS (American Standard - made in America) strat, which I've more or less anchored to the body. AS Strat is the sunburst on the right, MIM Strat is the black one on the left.

You can see with the floating bridge you'd be able to use the tremolo to both tension and de-tension the strings, raising the pitch and lowering the pitch by moving the bridge up and down. You can also imagine how a guitar that has a floating bridge at normal string tension won't stay in tune as well, with the springs being stretched a fair bit. The tradeoff with the non-floating bridge being that I can only de-tension the strings on my strat - I can lower the pitch with the whammy bar, can't raise it.

Here's a picture of what's going on on the other end of the bridge, at the back of the guitars.

Actually, looking at that now I'm not so certain that my sister's guitar is in factory configuration - I would guess that they come from the factory with the springs at 1 3 5 on the non-bridge end (as well as on the bridge end), rather than 234, as you can see here. Either way, though it looks like the springs are in similarish configurations, if you look closely you can see that on the sunburst strat, the non-bridge end of the setup has been screwed in to be closer to the body than on the black strat, causing the three springs to hold the bridge down on the body. Another common setup for strats with non floating bridges is to use five springs rather than 3, which is how Stevie Ray Vaughan's #1 was set up.

If you look closely (it's a little bit less apparent due to the different angles of the bridges on the MIM and the AS strats) you can see one of the cost cutting measures done on the cheaper made in Mexico guitars vs. the American Strats - on the black MIM strat you see that the on the bridge assembly, where you feed the strings through ends just south of where the strings are inserted, while on the sunburst American strat the metal block expands away on both sides from the very back of the assembly. The MIM assembly is kind of a rhombus with just enough metal to do the job, while the AS assembly is more of a long oval with a lot more mass on the bridge. One of the many little cost cutting things you can find when examining different quality level Fender guitars that look pretty much identical from far away. A more massive bridge assembly gives better sustain. A similar thing can be found with a really well made set neck guitar vs. a bolt on neck guitar like almost all Fenders - the set neck will give you more sustain.
    Last edited by Celery Man; 10-25-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    crayon, all ill ever be able to do is play rhythm and barre chords, what electric would you suggest for a player like me. i love to play things like ac/dc, neil young etc...
    Just my opinion but if you're going to be playing chords and songs all the time I would try for as full a sound as possible and that would be with a HH guitar. You could do a les Paul type or a Nashville tele but I wouldn't go with single coils for a rhythm guitarist. What's your price range?

Quote Originally Posted by Crayon1973 View Post
    Just my opinion but if you're going to be playing chords and songs all the time I would try for as full a sound as possible and that would be with a HH guitar. You could do a les Paul type or a Nashville tele but I wouldn't go with single coils for a rhythm guitarist. What's your price range?
    since its a hobby and won't be on stage that i expect then anything over $1K would be overkill for me...

what about this guitar for rhythm, the gibson SG? next to my old american strat sunburst this was always my favorite looks wise, never played one though...this is the weapon of choice for angus young unless im mistaken...he may have some custom version of course.

i seem to recall reading one time that he said he liked this look because it looked like it had little devil horns on it, lmao

Last edited by mileslong; 10-25-2011 at 06:03 PM.

is the HH you're talking about have two humbuckers?

i was checking out some different guitars in action and listening to their tone and came across this young chick who can really play. can you imagine how hot she must seem to teenage boys? freakin' playing cream!

came across these gals as well, man they are really good. you have these stupid bitches like the "its friday" girl getting famous and really talented young women like this that no one hears, check them out...

Last edited by mileslong; 10-25-2011 at 06:23 PM.

asshat Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76's Avatar
    Miles, that's my next guitar.
    Rhythm or leads on that thing are perfect.

My brother had a '61 when I was a kid.
    I bumped into it, it fell... Neck cracked.

Yeah I suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip76 View Post

Yeah I suck.
    wow, and he let you live? that is only surpassed by my beloved mother throwing away all my older brothers baseball cards including mickey mantles rookie card...

well i have now found my ultimate guitar, the angus SG signature model. hottest looking guitar evaaar. check out this link and listen to the samples from this bad boy...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...-Young-SG.aspx
    Last edited by mileslong; 10-25-2011 at 06:37 PM.

HH is referring to a humbucker on the bridge and a humbucker on the neck. A Strat with a humbucker on the bridge (but the normal single coil at the neck and middle pickups) might be referred to as an SSH Strat.

I actually kinda have the opposite preference from crayon. I generally like single coils or lower output humbuckers like Gretsch filtertrons for rhythm/chord work, especially if I'm not just doing power chords or something. I feel like with lower output pickups there's more room to hear all the notes. But to each his own, and certainly different scenarios in either rhythm or lead call for different sounding guitars.

SG's are $#@!ing great lead guitars (amazing upper neck access) but of course are plenty good with rhythm as well. I was thinking if AC/DC is your jam you should look at SGs (I think there are some with the Gibson tag that price out under $1k, and you'd have plenty of room to work with if you went Epiphone) or maybe one of the Gretsch Electromatic models.

Has anyone played one of the Gretsch Electromatics? That looks like a pretty sweet guitar for $750, but I don't know what the build quality is like.

I'd never heard the Angus Young quote about the horns, but that's funny. Les Paul actually had a similar quote to the reverse effect. I can't find the actual quote, but the SG actually originally was just a redesign of the Les Paul. The Les Paul wasn't selling well and so Gibson decided to redesign with a double cutaway to try to boost sales, but Les Paul (the man) withdrew his endorsement of the guitar and severed ties with Gibson when he saw it, saying something like "I'll poke my eyes out on that thing". From 1961 till 1963 when they ran out of Les Paul branded parts the SG was sold as a Gibson Les Paul.

Yeah I suck.
    Ahhh dude did y'all just junk it??? Gibson headstocks break off all the time, they can fix that $#@!. I good friend has a LP with a headstock that was glued back on and it's better now than it was before.

asshat Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUTFan View Post
    I'm not deciding whether to buy the Strat or Tele. Rather I'm deciding which one to sell. I really don't play that much anymore, and when I do, it's more rhythm guitar with a few riffs here and there.

Think I'm going to sell the Strat. Even though I love the neck and the middle pick-up (the Van Zandt classic is amazing), the Tele just has a certain mojo that the Strat doesn't have.

For those who say the Tele has a thinner sound... my Tele begs to differ. I have a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge, and it rocks (in a classic 1950's kinda way). I've also installed a 4-way switch, and the 1st position (neck and bridge pickup in series) gives it a nice boost.

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    what about this guitar for rhythm, the gibson SG? next to my old american strat sunburst this was always my favorite looks wise, never played one though...this is the weapon of choice for angus young unless im mistaken...he may have some custom version of course.

i seem to recall reading one time that he said he liked this look because it looked like it had little devil horns on it, lmao

I was going to recommend an SG. My SG Standard is the most versitile guitar I own. It can cover just about anything. PRS makes veristile HH guitars, but they are pricey.

here is orianthi playing her new custom paul reed smith SE model

kind of love her

Last edited by mileslong; 10-25-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Gretsch makes a good guitar but it's not exactly versatile.. A Gretsch sounds like..... a Gretsch.

The SG will pretty much be perfect for you so I would go ahead and pull the trigger. One word of advice though DO NOT get a guitar with a bigsby trem. They play great, look cool and are amazing up until the second you have to change strings at which point you will hate them. It takes about 5 minutes to change strings on a strat, tele or tune-o-matic but like 30 to change strings on a Bigsy.

Hahaha, good point about Gretsch's sounding all Gretschy. When you've spent a decade having like a dozen guitars you forget to think about things like that.

I love a Gretsch though.

Everyone complains about restringing with a Bigsby, but I actually don't have much of a problem doing it. It's a little tricky catching the pin with the little hoop, but that's the only tricky part. And I love a Bigsby more than any other vibrato. I really want a telecaster with a Bigsby. This one kinda makes me hard-

Oh man, I'd never seen one put one on a 72 thinline like mine... I'm kinda tempted

...won't do it though.

I have one on my Eastwood airline map and on my 330. I love love love them but unless you have a guitar tech your guitar is $#@!ed at a gig if you break a string. When I restring mine I make a loop with needlenose pliers and its easier but again, it requires another tool and takes 5 times longer.

Yeah I wouldn't gig with a Bigsby guitar if I didn't have a backup guitar at the ready.

Both my Gretschs have Bigsbys. I can string them as fast as I could my strat, just takes getting used to.

Your right though, nothing else sounds like a Gretsch

AnotherUTFan - have you played with any of the recent Korean built Electromatic Gretsches? I'm kinda vaguely interested in picking up something like a Pro Jet, after getting to fool around with an awesome Penguin and a Duo Jet. I'd love to just stock up on Gretsches, but they ain't exactly cheap, and I got a pretty good bargain on my 6120N. If one of these is a reasonable facsimile for the real deal I'd have to fight myself not to bite on it for $600, but I'm nervous about the quality of anything Korean built.

niiice. What is that, a Jackson? Charvel?

Like the tweed case too. I have one for my main gigging axe and I loved how it looked when it was brand new, and I love how it looks now all scuffed up and beat to hell.

Just got one of my guitars back from South Austin Music, where I had just wanted them to give it a good once over and intonate it and set it up (I could do that myself, but they can do it better), and they really did a good job. 2000 Reissue '72 Thinline Tele

They did a really good job cleaning up some rust that was on the guitar, I'm thinking of taking them a really rusty bass of mine that I've been meaning to clean up for a while. I'm not sure what year this is, but I think it's a early 2000's Marcus Miller Jazz Bass.

That's a great looking j bass.

AnotherUTFan - have you played with any of the recent Korean built Electromatic Gretsches? I'm kinda vaguely interested in picking up something like a Pro Jet, after getting to fool around with an awesome Penguin and a Duo Jet. I'd love to just stock up on Gretsches, but they ain't exactly cheap, and I got a pretty good bargain on my 6120N. If one of these is a reasonable facsimile for the real deal I'd have to fight myself not to bite on it for $600, but I'm nervous about the quality of anything Korean built.
    keep in mind I've owned an SG, a Les Paul a Blues Hawk and a 330... I have been absolutely thrilled with every Korean made Eastwood I've ever seen. I bought the Chinese made Big Horn and was underwhelmed but I've seen 4-5 different Korean made models and I'd have no problem recommending them.
    http://secure.eastwoodguitars.com/osc/index.php?cPath=1

I've never even picked one up so I'll not comment either way. Crayons comment makes me wanna try one though. I will say that I love my 2 pro-lines, my pops 125 Anny and the original '59 Single Anny I restored for him; the guitar that drew me toward Gretsch in the 1st place.

Another topic. I think my next guitar needs to be a shredder, something for 80s metal. A good dive bomber. Been nastalgic lately. I'm looking at used/vintage '80s San Dimas charvels & jacksons on ebay. Am I being too sentimental and there are newer guitars equally built at less dough? I have a hookup who can get me a new ESP at about half MAP. Should I look that way?

Thanks

side note - for a while Gibson had Epiphones made in Japan and the quality of those instruments is every bit as high as their American made counterparts.

asshat Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76 Shaggy Silver Club Rip76's Avatar
    Ahhh dude did y'all just junk it??? Gibson headstocks break off all the time, they can fix that $#@!. I good friend has a LP with a headstock that was glued back on and it's better now than it was before.[/QUOTE]

Truthfully, I don't remember what happened to it... He may have sold it back then..

Do want....

rip, thats the guitar i want right there...

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    There are certain guitars that just look better in one color. The dark red/mahogany on an SG is a great example. Those gold top Les Pauls make me about 3/4 husky as well. A tobacco burst J45 and natural wood grain Tele (like the '52).

I've got a Nashville Tele which is about the most versatile electric I've found (for what I like to play).
    This guy does a good demo of the guitar. I found mine, used for $299 at a Music-Go-Round. Guitar Center had them prices at around $500 at the time.

Ahhh dude did y'all just junk it??? Gibson headstocks break off all the time, they can fix that $#@!. I good friend has a LP with a headstock that was glued back on and it's better now than it was before.
    Truthfully, I don't remember what happened to it... He may have sold it back then..

Do want....

[/QUOTE]

$#@! yeah...

here is asame guy demoing a gibson SG '61 reissue,

Gibson SG "Robby Krieger" Aged and signed Part 1 clean and overdrive

i really need to get back to $#@!ing work...my birthday is this weekend, would you guys get together and buy me one of these?

2009 Gibson SG / P-90 + Vahlbruch Sapphire-Drive

Last edited by mileslong; 10-26-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Thought this thread was a great idea and have been meaning to post earlier. My guitars aren't nearly as nice as most of your guys' but I thought maybe posting mine would encourage more people to post theirs. Like someone said before, the amount/time I've spent on the guitars far surpasses my skill, but here are mine.

Thats a Peavey Predator (my first), a $#@!ty Johnson I borrowed (stole from my older brother when he gave up trying to learn), an Epiphone Les Paul that I tinkered with, Next is an Alvarez FD60 Acoustic Electric that I love, and lastly, my baby, a Fender American Deluxe Telecaster.

Sorry for the $#@!ty iPhone pics

Hahaha, $#@! yeah man, punk rock. That brings me right back to my high school days going to and playing in $#@!ty (but so awesome) high school punk rock shows in Houston. Sidenote, I was actually friends with one of Rufio's guitarists back in jr. high/high school before he had to move to California. Haven't talked to him in a decade but he was a solid $#@!ing dude.

That telecaster is sweet. I'm a big fan of the blonde telecaster with the black pickguard, but right up next to that for me is that exact sunburst with the binding around the edges. Very nice.

*edit*

Actually, I'm thinking of the wrong band... my friend was in a band called Nural, not Rufio. I think they maybe did a split with Rufio, or at least were labelmates or something for a while. Not sure why I'm confusing Nural with Rufio, but there was some connection. He definitely turned me on to "Perhaps, I Suppose" right when that record came out.
    Last edited by Celery Man; 10-27-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Yeah Rufio was the $#@! when I was a freshmen in high school. Perhaps I Suppose was on heavy rotation those days.

That telecaster is kind of a funny story. I went to a Guitar Center and saw the American Deluxe and pulled a total Wayne's World 'she will be mine.' Two months later was browsing eBay, and found this one for half price. The original owner, for some reason, took the neck off. Then when putting it back on forgot to put on the neck plate and drilled holes through the neck. Well the next owner bought it and did a helluva job repairing everything. Now you can't even tell anything happened to it besides some light cracks in the joint area. You're right though the binding really takes that guitar to another level.

Cocaine is a helluva drug, but dude knows his way around that thing...

dude check out this SG, freaking gorgeous and sounds awesome. that SOB sold for $18,500 holy $#@!

Last edited by mileslong; 10-27-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Tasty, that is a beautiful Tele. Love that thing. Good find for sure.

2009 Gibson SG / P-90 + Vahlbruch Sapphire-Drive

Damn, that guy has some great videos. This one and the 2009 Les Paul Honeyburst are really good. Great find. A buddy of mine went in to buy a sunburst LP and the dude showed him a honeyburst. His comment was, "It looked like a 16 year old virgin chick just came all over that thing."

yeah i love that guys videos, he plays a ton of different guitars and the videos are professionally done with the accompanying background music...

Last edited by Illiterate; 10-28-2011 at 10:52 PM.

want this

Just caught up on my reading. Celery Man:

The Electromatic is a nice guitar. Bought mine for $600 in '07. I would look at the used market before you spend 750.

After playing a few other hollow bodies I wished I would have not cheaped out. After playing a Duesenburg I need to convince myself to fork over 3k+.

asshat handcruser Shaggy Silver Club handcruser Shaggy Silver Club handcruser Shaggy Silver Club handcruser Shaggy Silver Club handcruser Shaggy Silver Club handcruser Shaggy Silver Club handcruser Shaggy Silver Club handcruser Shaggy Silver Club handcruser Shaggy Silver Club handcruser Shaggy Silver Club handcruser Shaggy Silver Club handcruser's Avatar
    I am getting a 62 Telecaster, all original, mint condition in the future. It was used in sessions when the best Blues Guitarist ever to play in Austin taught Jimmy and Stevie how to play the blues when they moved to Austin. It will be awesome. No, I don't play.

asshat TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo's Avatar
    Im thinking about pulling the trigger on this bad boy I found on at guitar center. I know the SE's are the low end PRS's but I've always loved the look and it'll end up being my first and probably only guitar unless I get halfway decent:

They also have an Ivory White one that is beautiful that I've been eyeing with m'good eye.

Edit: this is the tremonti version, they also have an SE

Quote Originally Posted by TankedBevo View Post
    Im thinking about pulling the trigger on this bad boy I found on at guitar center. I know the SE's are the low end PRS's but I've always loved the look and it'll end up being my first and probably only guitar unless I get halfway decent:

They also have an Ivory White one that is beautiful that I've been eyeing with m'good eye.

Edit: this is the tremonti version, they also have an SE
    play it VERY carefully before you buy it. I've heard extremely mixed reviews of the SEs. My experience and comments on Music Man's cheaper guitars which are about the same price have been much more consistent

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 291 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast