+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 274 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guitar Pron Thread

asshat TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayon1973 View Post
    play it VERY carefully before you buy it. I've heard extremely mixed reviews of the SEs. My experience and comments on Music Man's cheaper guitars which are about the same price have been much more consistent
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it.

bunghole Pulpwood Horn slams and goes hard. Pulpwood Horn slams and goes hard. Pulpwood Horn slams and goes hard. Pulpwood Horn slams and goes hard. Pulpwood Horn slams and goes hard. Pulpwood Horn slams and goes hard. Pulpwood Horn slams and goes hard. Pulpwood Horn slams and goes hard. Pulpwood Horn slams and goes hard. Pulpwood Horn slams and goes hard. Pulpwood Horn slams and goes hard. Pulpwood Horn's Avatar
    Mostly electrics on here.

This is my Highway One HSS Strat

And a couple of acoustics from just down the road

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    Went shopping around yesterday with a friend looking to buy a nice guitar. This followed me home.

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Celery Man again.
    Nice jet, congratulations. A B3 Bigsby is a drop in if you want one. Also consider a tru-arc bridge if you do add a Bigsby, I believe that guitar is a 12" radius. You can find plenty of info on that model at http://gretschpages.com/, which is the only other board on the internet that I frequent. Are those Gretsch Filtertrons or the TV Jones ones? Either way you found a fantastic guitar. I had one like it but mine had the dynasonic single coils which sounded thin to me so i sold it. Hope to get a filterton one someday.

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    Nice to know a Bigsby is an easy mod on that, not sure if I want one or not but the thought came up when I was playing it in the store. I may have to do some digging around on Gretschpages. I'm guessing these are the stock Gretsch Filtertrons - the TV Jones ones are stamped "TV JONES" rather than "U.S. PAT 2892371" right? This is a used guitar, but from everything about it it seem bone stock and hardly used. No buckle rash at all, the plastic is still on the covers, and all the case candy is in the case, including the receipt from World Music Nashville where apparently some dude named Dan traded in a Gibson LP and a Reverend for this guitar in 2006.

The guitar sounds and plays awesome. I feel a bit better about the impulsive decision to pick it up reading back through this thread and seeing posts from months ago where I was drooling over Duo Jets.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Great find Celery.

asshat Wally Banger Shaggy Silver Club Wally Banger Shaggy Silver Club Wally Banger Shaggy Silver Club Wally Banger Shaggy Silver Club Wally Banger Shaggy Silver Club Wally Banger Shaggy Silver Club Wally Banger Shaggy Silver Club Wally Banger Shaggy Silver Club Wally Banger Shaggy Silver Club Wally Banger Shaggy Silver Club Wally Banger Shaggy Silver Club
    Thought I would bug some of you experts to tell me if this seems like a decent deal, since I clearly know very little about guitars compared to y'all. On craigslist, today, asking $1000:

Here is an awesome 1991 MIJ Jackson up for sale or trade this is a beautiful vintage guitar with a great tone. There are some cosmetic dings and chips but not too bad for a 20yr old Axe. Has original Jackson hardshell case included and all of the hinges and latches work. Please do your research on this guitar before buying there will be no returns accepted. I have pictures of the Serial Number -J100770- feel free to email me any questions you may have about this guitar. Thanks for looking! I would be willing to trade for a USA Tele or Strat of equal value.

bunghole Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan's Avatar
    I've wanted to post my guitars in here for a while, only I can't post attachments for some reason, so the photos of my Fender Telecaster, Fender Precision Bass, and Epiphone AJ200SCE will have to wait for the moment I guess. I did, however, find one of these at a pawn shop earlier in the week, and brought it home.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Arc...viera-P94.aspx

So far, so good. The P94 pickups are pretty versatile, and they sound amazing clean or distorted. The neck pickup has some great jazz tones, and the bridge pickup has a nice and punchy mid-range tone that becomes even more badass with a little overdrive. I also love the way it looks: The Frequensator tailpiece is badass (but a bit of a pain to change strings with), and the fret inlays look beautiful as well. I've always wanted a semi-hollow body (they look cool, sound cool, and are a lot easier on your shoulder when playing standing up compared to solid body guitars), and I had my eye on this one for a while. I feel lucky that it fell into my lap the way it did; or more accurately, I tracked it on Craigslist for a few weeks, finally broke down, drunkenly contacted the seller over the weekend, heard it was still available, checked it out, then said "$#@! it, life's too short, I'm gonna get it." Couldn't be happier with this guitar.

asshat BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF's Avatar
    I think Takamizawa is a bit of a hack, but when the topic of Guitar Pron comes up I always think of the axes he's molested for decades. Youtube him, or his band The Alfee, to get an idea (think Prince's customs without the owner's guitar chops). They are all mostly ESP customs, but the term 'custom' doesn't do them justice. Here's Gizmodo on about his Sword of Angels guitar that came up for auction a few years ago.

Anyway, as guitar pron goes, some of them are epic. If you are lucky you won't have to actually hear him playing them.

Tall Dark and Texan, you just need to host your pics on a site like photobucket and then us the direct URL for the images with IMG tags (click the little picture and enter in the URL).

bunghole Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celery Man View Post
    Tall Dark and Texan, you just need to host your pics on a site like photobucket and then us the direct URL for the images with IMG tags (click the little picture and enter in the URL).
    Will do as soon as I can. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't honor the old shaggy creed of "Pics or GTFO".

bunghole CaptMustachio is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? CaptMustachio is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? CaptMustachio is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? CaptMustachio is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? CaptMustachio is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? CaptMustachio is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? CaptMustachio is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? CaptMustachio is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? CaptMustachio is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? CaptMustachio is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? CaptMustachio is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? CaptMustachio's Avatar
    I also have probably more guitars than I need for a person who only picks them up about once a month. I'm not really a beginner but not full intermediate... intermediate beginner? So I've never really thrown big money down on my axes, but here they are. From left to right: Fender Black top Jaguar, Ibanez Talman Acoustic/Electric, Epiphone '63 Firebird VII reissue. I mainly fiddle around with the Ibanez because I'm too lazy to plug my other two most of the time and the Firebird is beautiful and sounds great but is such a fatty. Probably heaviest guitar I have ever carried.

asshat DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TankedBevo View Post
    Im thinking about pulling the trigger on this bad boy I found on at guitar center. I know the SE's are the low end PRS's but I've always loved the look and it'll end up being my first and probably only guitar unless I get halfway decent:

They also have an Ivory White one that is beautiful that I've been eyeing with m'good eye.

Edit: this is the tremonti version, they also have an SE

I've had two of those PRS SE guitars. The first one was a Santana model, kind of plain, but it really played nice and sounded awesome. Should have kept that one, but I bought it from a friend who needed the money real bad, and then he shamed me into selling it back a year later. A couple of years ago I bought a single-cut SE because it was beautiful, honey sunburst with great wood finish. But it didn't play nearly as well as the Santana (I probably could have made it better with some tweaking but never got around to it). But they have good sounding pickups in them and they stay in tune about as good as anything with a standard bridge and tuners. It's a probably good idea to play it first and pick out a good one. Great guitar for the money if you get one that feels right.

asshat Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon's Avatar
    Hahaha, good point about Gretsch's sounding all Gretschy. When you've spent a decade having like a dozen guitars you forget to think about things like that.

I love a Gretsch though.

Everyone complains about restringing with a Bigsby, but I actually don't have much of a problem doing it. It's a little tricky catching the pin with the little hoop, but that's the only tricky part. And I love a Bigsby more than any other vibrato. I really want a telecaster with a Bigsby. This one kinda makes me hard-

Oh man, I'd never seen one put one on a 72 thinline like mine... I'm kinda tempted

...won't do it though.
    i had a thinline hated it... then again im more of a gibson and prs guy but the tele was just to thin sounding and was a 1 trick pony

asshat TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougO View Post
    I've had two of those PRS SE guitars. The first one was a Santana model, kind of plain, but it really played nice and sounded awesome. Should have kept that one, but I bought it from a friend who needed the money real bad, and then he shamed me into selling it back a year later. A couple of years ago I bought a single-cut SE because it was beautiful, honey sunburst with great wood finish. But it didn't play nearly as well as the Santana (I probably could have made it better with some tweaking but never got around to it). But they have good sounding pickups in them and they stay in tune about as good as anything with a standard bridge and tuners. It's a probably good idea to play it first and pick out a good one. Great guitar for the money if you get one that feels right.
    Thanks mate.
    "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to DougO again."

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    this is recent custom order from gibson company for the sex pistols steve johnson, his new LP custom

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    Well

I just came across a smoking deal that was too good to pass up and ordered this:

Fender American Standard Telecaster

Hello Music had it for $800 and today had a $100 off plus free shipping offer.

I don't know if I'll keep it since I'm already building a Tele. Sometimes when you come across a bargain, you just have to pounce.

Nice. You got it in black? I haven't priced Fenders in a while but... $#@! $700 for an American Standard Tele seems to be getting dangerously close to half off. Seems like even if you decide not to keep it it'll at the least be a cheap rental.

I've definitely gone ahead and blown my guitar budget for 2012 on my new Gretsch that I'm still in love with, but I've been wanting to fill the tele void in my guitar collection (well, I have the 72 thinline, but that's not really a "tele") for a long time. About 10 years ago I bought a tele off a serial guitar modifier from Okefenokee who I "knew" from a guitar related discussion board for $300. Started off as a Tele Nashville Deluxe, but by the time I got it it was set up more like a normal tele, with Bill Lawrence pickups and some kinda tone modifier switch that I never really quite understood. Was a really great "this guitar sounds good and plays nice but I don't give a $#@! if something happens to it" type backup guitar for awhile, but unfortunately that attitude caught up to me and this was the last time it was seen -

Played 40 Acres Fest one year (on a side stage, I think we played after the University of Texas Mariachi Club or some weird thing like that), and a few days later when we were loading back into the rehearsal space... "Wait.... where the $#@! is my tele???" I'm sure I've lost $300 to stupid $#@! or frivolous spending (or at mechanics or car dealerships) numerous times, but that one still stings and I miss that guitar. Whether whoever found it tried to track down the owner or not, I hope it ended up in good hands and is being enjoyed by someone somewhere.

Cool Firebird! Definitely a unique (in style, if not in number) guitar. What would you guess it weighs?

Talking guitar weight, this is one of the things I'm really digging about my new Gretsch. I'm not sure if I'm losing anything in sustain or gaining anything resonance or whatever (I doubt it's huge either way, or at least towards sustain since the strings aren't drilled down into the body at any point), but it is mostly hollow and remarkably light. Here's a pic from where the volume pots are, not sure if it shows it very well but the guitar is pretty hollow. Really digging this guitar.

Last edited by Celery Man; 02-06-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Nice. You got it in black? I haven't priced Fenders in a while but... $#@! $700 for an American Standard Tele seems to be getting dangerously close to half off. Seems like even if you decide not to keep it it'll at the least be a cheap rental.
    Black w/ maple fingerboard. If you don't subscribe to hellomusic.com, you should. It's kind of like woot for music gear. This is the 2nd purchase I've made from them. Every morning at 9am Pacific they send an email with 4 items. You click and go to their page to see prices, you have to be registered. They also will have the 4 items from the previous day if anything is left. I saw this Tele for like $750 several weeks ago and it sold out while I was thinking about it and I regretted it. I saw it for $800 Saturday. Got an email Sunday morning offering $100 off for the SuperBowl and immediately thought of the Tele. Clicked over and it was "almost sold out". Pulled the trigger immediately. Went back and it was sold out.

I see these listed on Craigslist used for $800 to $1,000. I think I'm going to put it on Craig's List as "new, still in the box" as soon as it arrives and see what kind of trade offers i get. Would be cool if i could score used Les Paul or something for it. A guy was asking $1,050 for a nice Black Penguin this morning, I emailed and asked if he'd do a trade. If nothing comes along, I'll open the box and have a new Tele. I win either way.

BTW, my Billy Bo is like that too. Looks like a brick, but light as hell, almost lighter than my SG and those things weigh nothing.

bunghole OrangeBlood777 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? OrangeBlood777 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? OrangeBlood777 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? OrangeBlood777 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? OrangeBlood777 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? OrangeBlood777's Avatar

Martin OMCPA-4
    Way above my skill range, but I got like 300 off MSRP and could finance for a year with 0 interest so I said $#@! it and splurged. Only been playing a little over a year, so what should my next purchase be? An amp for this? An electric? Again I am still between beginner and intermediate. And I'm poor, so bang/buck.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    OB777. IMHO, buying an amp for that acoustic is pretty much a waste if you aren't playing somewhere in public. You may already know this but you have to buy an acoustic amp for that Martin...not the same as the one you would use for an electric guitar.

If you are going to spend money on guitar related stuff, buy an electric guitar and a cheap, name brand amp. You will be tempted to buy a huge amp and the salesperson will point you that way. DO NOT BE TEMPTED. (I was the owner of a Fender Super Reverb when I was in high school....WAY more amp than I needed at the time. My money would have been much better spent on a smaller, suitable amp and a way better guitar.) Get a good quality electric guitar with a small amp. Then upgrade the amp later when you get comfortable with the electric.

asshat Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero's Avatar
    Anyone in the market for a Strat? With the baby on the way, I decided to keep just 1 electric (my Tele of course).

Hwy 1 strat - red with maple fretboard.
    Van Zandt Blues, Vintage and Rock pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    OB777. IMHO, buying an amp for that acoustic is pretty much a waste if you aren't playing somewhere in public. You may already know this but you have to buy an acoustic amp for that Martin...not the same as the one you would use for an electric guitar.

If you are going to spend money on guitar related stuff, buy an electric guitar and a cheap, name brand amp. You will be tempted to buy a huge amp and the salesperson will point you that way. DO NOT BE TEMPTED. (I was the owner of a Fender Super Reverb when I was in high school....WAY more amp than I needed at the time. My money would have been much better spent on a smaller, suitable amp and a way better guitar.) Get a good quality electric guitar with a small amp. Then upgrade the amp later when you get comfortable with the electric.

This finally showed up this morning.

Still haven't decided if I'm keeping it, but leaning toward it. It's a fantastic guitar.

Is that the case Fender shipped it in?

asshat lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TankedBevo View Post
    Im thinking about pulling the trigger on this bad boy I found on at guitar center. I know the SE's are the low end PRS's but I've always loved the look and it'll end up being my first and probably only guitar unless I get halfway decent:

They also have an Ivory White one that is beautiful that I've been eyeing with m'good eye.

Edit: this is the tremonti version, they also have an SE
    I decided a few years back to learn to play (I'm a drummer) with the intent of recording some simple tracks and I got this beauty

PRS SE 25th Anniversary Custom 24

I still can't play, but this thing looks awesome on its stand sitting next to this, which I also can't play...

Ibanez SR505
    Last edited by lurch; 02-20-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Is that the case Fender shipped it in?
    Yes. Pretty nice, sturdy case. TSA rated.

Yeah, that's a heavy duty case. Big upgrade one what I got my Fenders in.

asshat longhornjoe03 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. longhornjoe03 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. longhornjoe03 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. longhornjoe03 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. longhornjoe03 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. longhornjoe03 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. longhornjoe03 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. longhornjoe03 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. longhornjoe03 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. longhornjoe03 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. longhornjoe03 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. longhornjoe03's Avatar
    I finally sacked up and bought a Gretsch, myself.

I love the tone this thing puts out. It's surprisingly versatile, too.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornjoe03 View Post
    I finally sacked up and bought a Gretsch, myself.

I love the tone this thing puts out. It's surprisingly versatile, too.
    Nice.

As far as acoustic guitars.... I'm not any kind of expert and only have one acoustic guitar - the 1996 Martin DM that was my first guitar (thanks, Dad, for not making me start on some impossible to play POS). It sounds good and plays well and I've never really been that tempted to get anything else in that department (but, I'm not a singer songwriter type dude). If I were to look at getting another acoustic, I'd look at Martins, but Taylor is certainly a quality brand. I think Takamine is supposed to be relatively high in the bang-for-your-buck category. If you're looking at classical guitars, La Patrie is a good cheap brand.

Re: laminate backs and sides.... certainly solid wood is preferable, and will sound and age better, but there's a world of difference between a cheapo acoustic and one of the more budget Taylors or Martins with laminate back and sides, and there's a world of difference between the plywood used on really cheap guitars and the laminate used on nicer models. My Martin has laminate back and sides, and it sounds good and is perfectly serviceable for my needs. If I played a ton of acoustic guitar I'd probably want to shell out the cash for a higher end model, but as it is it has served me just fine for the past 15 years.

I think that's really all up to you, and with an acoustic I would at the very least play the models you're looking at, if not play the very guitar you are looking to purchase. Again, I am no expert in acoustic guitars, but while Taylor and Martin are two of the premiere brands in that market, I don't believe they are known to be similar sounding in general. I think Taylor have a reputation for being a bit brighter, and Martins having a more mellow sound. Really depends on what you like and are looking for. Gibson is certainly another good brand, but personally I would not buy any Gibson guitar without playing it, as in general it doesn't seem like a very well run company and I don't really trust their quality control. They certainly do make good guitars, though.

Hopefully some guys that are more knowledgeable about acoustics will chime in, but if I were you I'd hike down to Guitar Center (or there's bound to be some specialty acoustic shop somewhere in Austin with staff that might be able to help you out) and try a bunch of guitars. If you're not sure of where you want to go brand/tonewise, I'd probably get something a bit more mid-level rather than blow big bucks on a top of the guitar. I think if you try a bunch of stuff out you'll probably know where you want to go, though.

Connor, coworker of mine has a Taylor 414CE, limited edition made in 2000 or 2001. It has Koa back and sides which makes it a little louder than the normal 414. It is in very good condition and has the the older, Fisherman electronics. He is asking $900 for it. Local top guitar shop in Atlanta says they would list it for $1200 if it was there on consignment. I think he paid about $1800 for it. It listed for over $2000 new. I would buy it if I could even marginally justify having another acoustic around the house. PM me if you might be interested. He bought a 714 a couple of years ago and this one has been kept in its case, properly humidified. It has a couple of tiny dings but for a 10 yr old guitar, it is in GREAT shape. The guitar plays and sounds great. PM me if you might be interested.

As far as all wood guitars vs laminate: Just my feeble opinion....
    All wood has better tone, and if you keep it humidified properly it will probably hold up better over the life of the guitar. As that wood ages it will sound better as it gets older. I think it makes for a more stable guitar as well. A well made, laminate is fine and will probably always be, but if you are going to spend a significant amount of money on an instrument, all wood just makes a better choice.
    Last edited by hullabelew; 02-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    not a flying V guy but saw this posted on my gibson facebook page today

I've owned many, many guitars over the years. 3 Paul Reed Smiths, couple of G & L, fenders, Gibsons, etc etc. Only pictures I have are these-

From a long, long time ago, when I had hair down to my ass. Left is an Ibanez Rocket Roll II, with a Kahler tremolo added. Right is an original Dean V from the second year they were made. This guitar was (as far as I was concerned) the Holy Grail of rock guitars. Sustain for days, and you could get it to feed back in such a sweet-and controllable- way. Best rock guitar I've ever owned, by far. The amp was Peavey's shot at a Marshall, The Butcher. Not a bad amp for straight up hard rock.

Currently the only guitar I own. It is a Jap-made 57 reissue Strat. It was supposed to be an SRV model guitar before Fender made the signature SRV model. It needed fret work when I bought it used (previous owner butchered the finish to replicate Stevie's guitar). I let a friend who did repair work try to refret it for me, and he didn't do a good job. So I bought an SRV neck from Warmoth and slapped it on. The pickups are EMG singles from a Steve Lukather set. They have a little more midrange and gain than the standard EMG SE pickups. Notice that the bridge pickup is slanted backwards. I did that on purpose when I started playing in country bands. It allowed me to use lots of compression for my country tone, without the low notes getting too fluffy.

I hate threads like this because I start kicking myself in the ass for all the guitars I've let go over the years....

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    Finally got around to hanging them up:

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    Where's your Dean Dime?

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    I fake it with the Les Paul. It has the same pickups - hand wound Bill Lawrence XL 500 L's. Gnarly.

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    Since this got bumped and I'm new I'll post a couple of my oddballs.

This is my favorite, a Fender American Big Apple Strat. Seymour Duncan '59 and Pearly Gates humbuckers in stead of single coils, with coil splitting. Very versatile guitar.

This guitar is ridiculous, I know, but it was $100 when Epiphone made them (in a bunch of different collegiate logos) and after I swapped out the pickup with an EMG...I kinda love it.

Taylor 414CE is my acoustic/electric, and then I have an old cheapie Yamaha acoustic that was my first guitar. Yamaha makes great entry level acoustics.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    I fake it with the Les Paul. It has the same pickups - hand wound Bill Lawrence XL 500 L's. Gnarly.
    Nice. I prefer the LP body shape. Dime is probably my all time favorite metal guy though, so I may end up buying a Dean someday just in tribute if nothing else.

I gonna put some more traditional pickups back in the LP, probably some seymour duncans, to get it back to a more classic rock style. I'm gonna throw the Bill Lawrences in some sort of metal special - maybe a dean or something, but most likely a Warmoth.

That's a nice strat, btw.

Damn Tbone. Nice toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzrock View Post
    Boooootiful $#@!ing cherry. I always wanted one of those Lone Star Special strats with the SSH with a Pearly Gates humbucker, supposed to be a great pickup.

I almost bought the UT one of those. I have that exact guitar with a big "Budweiser Select" logo on it that I got for as a prize at some point, and for what it is (cheap as $#@! little guitar) it's not terrible.

asshat American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle's Avatar

Bought this low end Ibanez 7 string new for 275$ at Strait music. We were playing in Drop C on 6-strings and now are playing in Drop A; pretty low. Anyway, about drop in a Dimarzio D-Activator in the Bridge and John Petrucci's Liquifire in the Neck. should be $#@!in' slammin' after that.

I almost bought the UT one of those. I have that exact guitar with a big "Budweiser Select" logo on it that I got for as a prize at some point, and for what it is (cheap as $#@! little guitar) it's not terrible.
    Yeah it was kind of silly to install a pickup that was worth more than the guitar, but I had an EMG 81 lying around. It made a huge difference and it's a fun little noisemaker now. If you have a better 'bucker available, slap it in. You might be impressed.

(CSB warning)
    Sat next to Tito at the Black Keys show and didnt know who he was. I went up and bought a round of beer for myself and my buddy and he and his wife. He introduces himself and the next day...

asshat VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d's Avatar
    Boooootiful $#@!ing cherry. I always wanted one of those Lone Star Special strats with the SSH with a Pearly Gates humbucker, supposed to be a great pickup.
    Green one, second from the right.

(CSB warning)
    Sat next to Tito at the Black Keys show and didnt know who he was. I went up and bought a round of beer for myself and my buddy and he and his wife. He introduces himself and the next day...
    That is super awesome. Perfect thing to hang in a home bar. What kind of guitar is it?

(CSB warning)
    That is outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzrock View Post
    That is super awesome. Perfect thing to hang in a home bar. What kind of guitar is it?
    It's an Indonesian made epiphone. I'm actually going to see if I can drop a Lollar P-90 into it and make it into a Les Paul Jr. After putting those things in my other cheap guitar I swear by them.

It's an Indonesian made epiphone. I'm actually going to see if I can drop a Lollar P-90 into it and make it into a Les Paul Jr. After putting those things in my other cheap guitar I swear by them.
    Interesting. I had to go look: my POS Epi was made in China. Drop that pickup in, you won't be sorry.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 274 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast