+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 250 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guitar Pron Thread

asshat American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle grows his own roses American Swindle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celery Man View Post
    I've been meaning to nab a couple of pics of my #1 axe (...which is a bass guitar... love my nice guitars, but I'm really more of a bassist than anything) for the past couple weeks I've been on tour with my band, but haven't really had a good chance with decent lighting. Not that it's anything to really look at, but I took a few shots tonight. This is one of those guitars that would probably be worth maybe $150 if I was lucky at a pawn shop, but is pretty irreplaceable to me. I think it actually looks a bit nicer than it is in the pictures - the paint is chipping off in several places (big time in the cutaways), there's an indentation worn into it where I rest my thumb next to the pickup, one of the knobs fell off and could not be reattached and the other is not far behind it, the frets are really worn in, everything's pretty rusty, and I really need to pull the jack out and tighten thing up. BTW, the amp in the shots is a 10+ year old Gallien Krueger that sounds great and has never let me down once throughout the ten years I've been playing on it. I at one point upgraded to an Ampeg SVT-4, I switched back to the GK while the SVT was getting fixed, and ended up selling the SVT for being too much of a $#@!ing hassle while the GK did the job without problem. I don't think they make this model anymore - they make a similar model that's labeled as "Backline", and I'm not sure if it's a cheaper line or just some rebranding they did or what, but my GK 400RBIII has ridden thousands upon thousands of miles in a bumpy trailer, gotten humped in and out of hundreds of gigs, and has never been in the shop.

Anyways, this is my bass, which is a MIM Mike Dirnt P-Bass (not much of a fan of the band, but I like the bass) -

Here's the whole setup on the stage - missing are the Les Paul with the Vox and the Jaguar (you can see the neck) with the fender combo stage right. The keyboard is a Moog.

It's not the bass necessarily, but the monkey behind the strings. My first electric guitar was an RG570. It is actually a mid-tier RG and I could never let it go.

Back to your bass, do you play with any compression? Fingers or pick or both?

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    When I record, I'll sometimes use compression and/or play with a pick, but live I just plug straight in and play finger style. That's my whole rig right there - cable from the bass to the amp, cable from the tuner out to my Strobostomp.

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    Not a guitar but I picked up a Line 6 Pod HD at the Guitar Center in Round Rock today to use at an informal gig/party this weekend. Played through it and the old school Pod for a bit before pulling the trigger, but I think it's going to be a fun little desktop/live toy. Any of you wankers ever used one, or both? Thoughts?

Just got this in a trade with a buddy of mine who'd been wanting to buy my Deluxe Reverb RI for a while.

It's a Ibanez Paul Gilbert sig 'Fireman'. I've never had any desire to do the pointy guitar thing, but the fact that it had Strat electronics that I could swap out and tinker around was enough to convice me to do the trade. It's definitely a shape that you either love or hate with a passion.

It's actually got a pretty cool sound to it. It's all mahogany so it's much warmer and less trebly than a standard alder/maple Strat.

asshat handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wwshornfan View Post
    Just got this in a trade with a buddy of mine who'd been wanting to buy my Deluxe Reverb RI for a while.

It's a Ibanez Paul Gilbert sig 'Fireman'. I've never had any desire to do the pointy guitar thing, but the fact that it had Strat electronics that I could swap out and tinker around was enough to convice me to do the trade. It's definitely a shape that you either love or hate with a passion.

It's actually got a pretty cool sound to it. It's all mahogany so it's much warmer and less trebly than a standard alder/maple Strat.

Damn that thing is ugly. I hope it sounds good.

It looks like Paul Stanley's "Iceman" went and got uglier.

I actually like the shape but I'm much more of a p-90/humbucker guy.. so theres that

Anyone here have a P-90 equipped Paul? I was watching the Les Paul estate auction a couple weeks ago and tossed out a few cursory bids on one, but I've done a little more digging and thought they might be worth checking out. I know Hubert Sumlin played one on a lot of the early Howlin' Wolf stuff, and that all sounds great. Anyhow, I haven't been able to lay my hands on one to check it out so I thought I'd ask here before I run off and try and get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad $#@! View Post
    Anyone here have a P-90 equipped Paul? I was watching the Les Paul estate auction a couple weeks ago and tossed out a few cursory bids on one, but I've done a little more digging and thought they might be worth checking out. I know Hubert Sumlin played one on a lot of the early Howlin' Wolf stuff, and that all sounds great. Anyhow, I haven't been able to lay my hands on one to check it out so I thought I'd ask here before I run off and try and get one.
    in my opinion, Gibson is much better at making humbuckers than P-90s...even though they invented the P-90.. The aftermarket P-90s like the Lollars I bought sound incredible and much meatier than the ones Gibson makes. Just saying.

Good to know, but really I was talking about the combination of p-90s in that dense mahogany body. I have an LP Custom with humbuckers, which is great, but I don't have a p-90 equipped guitar, so I'm investigating options. Always looking for the next one of course...

What's your fav P-90 guitfiddle?

BTW, you're required to post a pic. Moose out front should toldja.
    Last edited by Chad Fuck; 06-26-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: pics

So I just got in trouble in another thread for not putting my Old Man's Dobro here......I will get some pics of his other guitars and post them all up in here.

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    Birthday present from my sis:

I'm not much of a flat picker and the chord shapes are all different, but so far it's fun.

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    I think mike ness plays a les Paul with p90s.

To the poster asking about PODs, I have a POD xt live that I run through a tech 21 power engine 60.

This is the old mans dobro. He is letting me practice. Btw it sucks being a left hander and trying to learn. Very few left handed teachers

So I went to go check out a shop that was going out of business...and nothing. The place was picked clean except for a bunch of entry level stuff and a couple overpriced used strats and Pauls. Feeling a bit defeated, I went to twin peaks to have a burger and see some uplifting scenery. It was then that I recalled another shop around the corner. They had this:

Rolled in at fifteen minutes to closing and got a pretty good deal. It does all those Hubert Sumlin and Freddie King riffs like a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefishstix View Post

This is the old mans dobro. He is letting me practice. Btw it sucks being a left hander and trying to learn. Very few left handed teachers
    I'm a lefty but I learned to play right handed. My dad is the same way. it will save you a ton of time and trouble to do it this way. Left handed guitars are more expensive and harder to find and they're never sitting around at someones BBQ when the chicks say "hey, don't you know how to play?".

Learn right handed.
    Last edited by Chad Fuck; 06-30-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Actually all my old mans are lefties.

So I went to go check out a shop that was going out of business...and nothing. The place was picked clean except for a bunch of entry level stuff and a couple overpriced used strats and Pauls. Feeling a bit defeated, I went to twin peaks to have a burger and see some uplifting scenery. It was then that I recalled another shop around the corner. They had this:

Rolled in at fifteen minutes to closing and got a pretty good deal. It does all those Hubert Sumlin and Freddie King riffs like a boss.
    Is that a Gibson? Epiphone? It's beautiful. How much? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefishstix View Post
    Actually all my old mans are lefties.
    I think you must've missed what I was saying about the chicks and BBQ. Unless you're planning to haul your daddy's guitars around with you very where an impromptu jam may happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjazz View Post
    Is that a Gibson? Epiphone? It's beautiful. How much? (If you don't mind me asking.)
    It's a Gibson historic 1956 lp reissue.

What year? That's a very nice guitar. I am jealous.

What year? That's a very nice guitar. I am jealous.
    2008. Very mildly used. No buckle rash. Very slight ding on the headstock. Other than that, it's perfect. All case candy. I never just go into a shop and buy something. But I'd been researching these guitars for months and this one was just there. It was fate.

bunghole Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan's Avatar
    I'm a lefty but I learned to play right handed. My dad is the same way. it will save you a ton of time and trouble to do it this way. Left handed guitars are more expensive and harder to find and they're never sitting around at someones BBQ when the chicks say "hey, don't you know how to play?".

Learn right handed.
    I'm also a lefty and I also learned to play right handed. To me it just made more sense to have my dominant hand performing the more complicated of the two tasks involved with guitar. Joe Strummer and Joe Perry were/are also left handed but played/play right handed, so you'll be in some good company.
    Last edited by Tall Dark and Texan; 07-01-2012 at 10:03 AM.

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    Beautiful guitar, Chad.

I'm also a lefty who plays right handed. I think there are different types of left handed people, though, and that's a lot of what determines if you're going to want to play righty or lefty. I have some degree of mixed-handedness, but I'm mostly lefty (write, eat, throw, etc). But the first time I ever grabbed a guitar I naturally wanted to play righty.

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar

POD pron

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post

POD pron
    As much $#@! as you'll get for having a POD I played shows in LA and SF with one where bringing/borrowing an amp was highly impractical and after spending some hours dialing it in I was pretty happy with all of my sounds other than a plain generic clean electric sound.

I've had Marshalls, fenders, and boogies. And I'll be damned if I can't dial this thing in real close to all of them, and a JC 120 as well. Plus I don't need a rack of effects.

If I can't get close to what I'm looking for, I can always go online and download someone else patch. Pretty amazing tool really. And this one is about 6 years old. New ones are probably better.
    Last edited by tbone; 07-01-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzrock View Post
    Birthday present from my sis:

I'm not much of a flat picker and the chord shapes are all different, but so far it's fun.
    Once you get used to the fact that every chord is just upside down, it will be easier. I still have to really think about it when I'm trying to play along with someone one a guitar but they are a lot of fun to piddle around with.

Beautiful guitar, Chad.

I'm also a lefty who plays right handed. I think there are different types of left handed people, though, and that's a lot of what determines if you're going to want to play righty or lefty. I have some degree of mixed-handedness, but I'm mostly lefty (write, eat, throw, etc). But the first time I ever grabbed a guitar I naturally wanted to play righty.
    Agreed, I'm the type of lefty you describe and agreed there are all sorts of lefties. Perhaps I was being too terse. But I can't overstate enough how much easier the world of guitar playing is for lefties who can play right handed. I've taught lefties who want to play left handed and things are just more of a pain in the ass for them to play on the fly (unless you're the dude I know who plays right-handed right-strung guitars upside down-now that's a skill). But if you're like rumble and have a bunch of lefty-guitars at the ready, then I suppose that has to be taken into account.

asshat BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn's Avatar
    Here's a shot of my main collection, excluding 3 acoustics that aren't really worth talking about (Baby Taylor, Seagull, Epiphone):

From left to right:

Guild GAD-JF30 Jumbo (Asian knockoff that's ridiculously close to a Gibson J200 for well less than a kilobuck)
    Gibson SG Faded (bought off a guy in a skeezy apartment north of Anderson Lane, it smells like pot, I figure it's hot so I'm afraid to sell it)
    2012 Warmoth Partscaster (Guitar Fetish pickups)
    1993 Fender American Standard Telecaster (my baby, original owner)
    2000 Taylor 310 (my other baby, original owner, records basic acoustic parts like a dream)
    Quote me the right price, and I won't tell the authorities that you knowingly sold me a stolen guitar.

dipshit Weasel is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Dark and Texan View Post
    I'm also a lefty and I also learned to play right handed. To me it just made more sense to have my dominant hand performing the more complicated of the two tasks involved with guitar. Joe Strummer and Joe Perry were/are also left handed but played/play right handed, so you'll be in some good company.
    I'm a left that plays right handed. I didn't learn to play until I was older, so I'm not all that good. However, I knew after playing golf left handed how aggravated I got cruising through golf shops looking at all the stuff I couldn't use or buy that I would play right handed. I buy all my guitars used, so left handed just didn't seem like an option. Besides, having my dominant hand fretting didn't seem like too much of a sacrifice. I can comfortably say that anything I lost by pulling my left hand off the pick was more than offset by lessons I learned from good players when I did not have my guitar with me.

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    Here's some of my gear that I took out to a local jam last night. That SG and Marshal Class 5 combo kills. I had the amp dimed and the volume controls on the guitar at about 1.5, maybe 2 for solo's. I love that little amp.

Also, my new MIM Fender Deluxe P-Bass. I've never played bass and wanted to give it a try. After keeping my eye out for a deal I finally pulled the trigger on an American Hwy 1 P-Bass that HelloMusic had a screaming deal on. Unfortunately that bass never arrived due to a shipping issue. HelloMusic gave me a few options to make up for it including this bass at an unbelievable price. To add to calamity this bass showed up and the neck pick-up did not work. Hello music paid to have it repaired by a luthier of my choice and gave me a $40 store credit for the hassle, which used to buy a Line-6 POD.

I've had the bass about 3 weeks and have just spent about 15 -30 minutes a day working on the muscle memory in my right hand. Last night was the 1st time I ever played a bass that was actually plugged into something. It was a lot of fun and a lot of work. I did about 6 songs and had to make the bass lines up as I went using knowledge of the guitar. Cissy Strut was fun trying to put down something funky during the solos. Now I know why bass players always have that distracted look on their face. I'll be playing this out more.

Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    Once you get used to the fact that every chord is just upside down, it will be easier. I still have to really think about it when I'm trying to play along with someone one a guitar but they are a lot of fun to piddle around with.
    Thanks for the tip, it's either going to be really helpful or broke my brain.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzrock View Post
    Thanks for the tip, it's either going to be really helpful or broke my brain.
    You essentially just look at the frets as if you only have the top 4 strings of a guitar, then you fret the chord, upside down. A girl I know who plays left handed but plays a right-handed guitar and bass, just flipped over without restringing it, told me the trick. It is still a lot for me to try to think about but as you learn the chords and recognize what is going on, it will slowly sink in. Good luck.

Jaguar

and

Les Paul, with an amp that is entirely too loud.

Jaguar

and

Les Paul, with an amp that is entirely too loud.

I am in the market for a used Paul Languedoc G2 made out of Koa wood. If ay of you know of one for sale please pm. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dishwater Boggett View Post
    I am in the market for a used Paul Languedoc G2 made out of Koa wood. If ay of you know of one for sale please pm. Thanks
    I don't know what that is. Wanna buy my old iPhone?

I don't know what that is. Wanna buy my old iPhone?

No thanks. Sticking with my old blackberry from about 4 years ago

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dishwater Boggett View Post
    How long have you been in the market? Considering that you're wondering if anyone on the Shag happens to be selling a $10,000 (if bought new) electric guitar that usually goes for $15,000-$20,000 used, it sounds like you've been searching for quite a while.

JJ - Languedoc's are made by the guy who did sound for Phish up until 2004 and built the guitars Trey Anastasio always used. The G2 is pretty much a replica of the guitars used by Trey. He doesn't build many and works at a slow as $#@! pace.

Dishwater - Did Paul decide to not to build anymore guitars with Koa for some reason? Coulda' sworn I heard that somewhere.

Regardless, good luck on your quest to find one for sale.

How long have you been in the market? Considering that you're wondering if anyone on the Shag happens to be selling a $10,000 (if bought new) electric guitar that usually goes for $15,000-$20,000 used, it sounds like you've been searching for quite a while.

JJ - Languedoc's are made by the guy who did sound for Phish up until 2004 and built the guitars Trey Anastasio always used. The G2 is pretty much a replica of the guitars used by Trey. He doesn't build many and works at a slow as $#@! pace.
    Did he make the antler thingy?

Ah. Phish. That explains why I have no idea what the guy is talking about.

asshat DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO's Avatar
    "A fun guitar that I built for Brad Whitford (Aerosmith) using wood that I harvested from the site of the club at which the band got it's start up in N.H. All of the dings and graffitti were original to the wood, which came from the bench seating in the bar area. Can you see "Dave 1965"? " - Terry McInturff

^^I'm not a huge Aerosmith fan. But that is pretty damned cool.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    I've had Marshalls, fenders, and boogies. And I'll be damned if I can't dial this thing in real close to all of them, and a JC 120 as well. Plus I don't need a rack of effects.

If I can't get close to what I'm looking for, I can always go online and download someone else patch. Pretty amazing tool really. And this one is about 6 years old. New ones are probably better.
    The thing is, the audience doesn't have a clue about tone. Of course a great tone is important for inspiration, etc. But 99% of the people in the crowd will think you sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by equinox View Post
    The thing is, the audience doesn't have a clue about tone. Of course a great tone is important for inspiration, etc. But 99% of the people in the crowd will think you sound great.
    Well right but you want to get it right for the 1% that know better.

I don't expect anyone in the crowd to really give a $#@! about my tone. The guys on the side of the stage watching with their arms crossed will always have something to say after a show ("is that true bypass?" "what pickups?" "nos preamp tubes?" "you should.......") but everyone else usually just wants to have fun and drink beer.

I'll spend hours opon hours A/B'ing stuff, swapping tubes, and ripping apart various parts of the rig before a show if I'm hearing something I don't like even though I know that nobody in the crowd or even the band would be able to even tell a difference. It keeps me motivated and excited if I'm playing the same setlist over and over.

The hardest part of doing all that tone chasing bull$#@! for me was learning how to discipline myself so that when the show starts, I click out of thinking solely about how my guitar sounds and approach all aspects of my playing with how it fits the big picture of what the rest of the band is doing. I still struggle with that all the damn time but there's nothing better than the feeling you get when everyone's locked in on the same page.

this was my Free Tito's guitar after I put in a Lollar P90 with a custom housing and had it set up low and mean. I'm playing this bitch tomorrow.

asshat handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser's Avatar
    I don't expect anyone in the crowd to really give a $#@! about my tone. The guys on the side of the stage watching with their arms crossed will always have something to say after a show ("is that true bypass?" "what pickups?" "nos preamp tubes?" "you should.......") but everyone else usually just wants to have fun and drink beer.

I'll spend hours opon hours A/B'ing stuff, swapping tubes, and ripping apart various parts of the rig before a show if I'm hearing something I don't like even though I know that nobody in the crowd or even the band would be able to even tell a difference. It keeps me motivated and excited if I'm playing the same setlist over and over.

The hardest part of doing all that tone chasing bull$#@! for me was learning how to discipline myself so that when the show starts, I click out of thinking solely about how my guitar sounds and approach all aspects of my playing with how it fits the big picture of what the rest of the band is doing. I still struggle with that all the damn time but there's nothing better than the feeling you get when everyone's locked in on the same page.
    Nice post and well said. Usually everyone is drunk and doesnt know tone even exists. Its funny watching a pretty good band play a cover, and then watching a great band play a cover. Timing and tone can make all the difference in the world.

I learned how important tone was from pops. My dad tells this kid to get a guitar, learn some blues songs, and come and see him and he'll tell him if he's any good because he sucked at drums. 6 months later, he comes in a rehearsal and blows everyone away. And it's his tone that did it. 6 months after that, he and my dad are playing with Freddie King, Albert Collins, etc. In high school.

When you hear it, you'll know. It makes all the difference in the world.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 250 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast