+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guitar Pron Thread

asshat handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser's Avatar
    It also pisses me off when someone shows up to a blues gig with a strat or a les paul. You want to play the blues? Get an old gibson, a tele, and have a V on standby.

Quote Originally Posted by handcruser View Post
    It also pisses me off when someone shows up to a blues gig with a strat or a les paul. You want to play the blues? Get an old gibson, a tele, and have a V on standby.
    SRV, Robert Cray and Clapton say

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    Yea I think you can play blues on a strat alright.

Gary Moore would argue with you on the les Paul, but I hear you.

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayon1973 View Post
    this was my Free Tito's guitar after I put in a Lollar P90 with a custom housing and had it set up low and mean. I'm playing this bitch tomorrow.
    Awesome.

asshat handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser's Avatar
    I said blues. lolz. i have had this argument before, and the guys that taught these guys disagree with you.

btw, how's the hand cannon?
    Last edited by handcruser; 07-20-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Yea I think you can play blues on a strat alright.

Gary Moore would argue with you on the les Paul, but I hear you.
    I can play Hideaway on a $75 acoustic guitar bought at target. Doesn't make it right.

I was setting up one day and this guy that played guitar with me showed up with some silver sparkle Eric Clapton Aniversary strat or something. Brand new. He had just bought it. I knew it was going to be a disaster from the get go. And it was. But more for my playing. He wanted to play cocaine nonstop. I didn't. lolz, I think he was doing cocaine too. Oh well.

I'm curious why you think a Tele would be more appropriate for blues than a Strat or Les Paul. They all came out about the same time. They have all been used by great players in the blues genre. It's not like Robert Johnson or Muddy Waters cut their teeth on a Tele. I would agree that a Les Paul is kind of unusual, but if that's all a guy has and he wants to play, are you going to let that color your opinion before you hear what he has to offer?

asshat ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax's Avatar
    Buddy Guy says hi.

Blues is whatever anyone wants it to $#@!ing be. Whatever guitar, whatever amp, nothing is right or wrong. The attitude of "it aint right unless you're doing like the old guys" is complete bull$#@! and does nothing but hurt and limit the future of the genre. It makes playing the blues seem seem less accessible to folks just starting out and in turn generates less interest.

Seriously, what the $#@! kind of attitude is "i get pissed when people play blues on a strat or a les paul"?

I understand that it can be boring listening to the same strat/LP tones that 95% people bring to a gig. If some guy at a blues jam gets a thrill and personal enjoyment out of getting on stage and butchering the $#@! out of the sky is crying with his strat, more god damn power to him. It's been done 15 million times before him and will be done 15 million times in the future, but if he's having fun, that's what it's all about and nothing else $#@!ing matters.

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wwshornfan View Post
    Blues is whatever anyone wants it to $#@!ing be. Whatever guitar, whatever amp, nothing is right or wrong. The attitude of "it aint right unless you're doing like the old guys" is complete bull$#@! and does nothing but hurt and limit the future of the genre. It makes playing the blues seem seem less accessible to folks just starting out and in turn generates less interest.

Seriously, what the $#@! kind of attitude is "i get pissed when people play blues on a strat or a les paul"?

I understand that it can be boring listening to the same strat/LP tones that 95% people bring to a gig. If some guy at a blues jam gets a thrill and personal enjoyment out of getting on stage and butchering the $#@! out of the sky is crying with his strat, more god damn power to him. It's been done 15 million times before him and will be done 15 million times in the future, but if he's having fun, that's what it's all about and nothing else $#@!ing matters.
    I wish I could super +Rep this. Well said my man, well $#@!ing said.

It ain't about what you got to shake, its about how you shake it.

Maybe one of the truest lines ever written
    Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
    Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    I said blues. lolz. i have had this argument before, and the guys that taught these guys disagree with you.

btw, how's the hand cannon?
    Oh no are you one of those guys who tries to argue srv wasn't blues?

This right here.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUTFan View Post
    I wish I could super +Rep this. Well said my man, well $#@!ing said.

It ain't about what you got to shake, its about how you shake it.

Maybe one of the truest lines ever written
    And this too.

lolz. Get fired up!

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    Wait... am I confused? A Flying V or a Tele would be more appropriate than a Strat or an LP for a blues jam?

Do any of you guys have thoughts on small guitars for kids? I've got a 6 year old nephew I'm about ready to start trying to jam with - mini strat, or is there another small/3/4 sized guitar that's a better choice? Or just advice in general about introducing young kids to the guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by Celery Man View Post
    Do any of you guys have thoughts on small guitars for kids? I've got a 6 year old nephew I'm about ready to start trying to jam with - mini strat, or is there another small/3/4 sized guitar that's a better choice? Or just advice in general about introducing young kids to the guitar?
    I've seen a few of these Rondo sweat shop strats and they're fine for someone that age. Not any worse than a full size Squire. The headphone amp or whatever it comes with probably sounds like complete $#@! though.

As far as teaching someone that young, I have zero experience but I'd imagine you'd have to be a patient SOB. Does your nephew listen to music? If not, I think your best bet would be to start exposing him to various genres/bands to see if anything grabs hold of him before getting the guitar. I think it'd be impossible to teach someone to play if they didn't have a few songs that they wanted to learn.

http://www.rondomusic.com/rst123tspack.html

What do y'all think about these special run Strats that the Fender Custom Shop does for The Music Zoo in NYC? These two are from last year but they usually get them in every few months and they sell faster than any $7000 guitar I've ever seen.

I know a lot of folks hate the idea of artificially aging/relic'ing a guitar so I'm curious to hear what y'all think. I pretty much play a couple of old Fender's from the early 60's that are fairly beat up about 90% of the time but without fail, at least one guy at every show will come up in hopes of telling me how much of a pussy I am for playing a new 'relic'.

I think the white over pink paisley looks pretty damn cool myself.

On the other hand, the only exception would be that I'd have no problem calling you a dumbass for buying this:

What do y'all think about these special run Strats that the Fender Custom Shop does for The Music Zoo in NYC? These two are from last year but they usually get them in every few months and they sell faster than any $7000 guitar I've ever seen.

I know a lot of folks hate the idea of artificially aging/relic'ing a guitar so I'm curious to hear what y'all think. I pretty much play a couple of old Fender's from the early 60's that are fairly beat up about 90% of the time but without fail, at least one guy at every show will come up in hopes of telling me how much of a pussy I am for playing a new 'relic'.

On the other hand, the only exception would be that I'd have no problem calling you a dumbass for buying this:
    you basically said "An Iroc looks retarded.... unless it's black"

Here is my modest little collection.

Left to right Alvarez Yairi DY45, Gibson SG and Seagull parlor. Hope to add another electric by the end of the year.

asshat BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn's Avatar
    wws - I wandered into Austin Guitar House yesterday, and they had a bunch of aged Fenders, including one that was just a Fender lookalike by some custom brand. All were in the multi-thousand dollar range. I was shocked at how much people will pay for a trashed guitar. A collectors item, I understand. But a new guitar that's pre-weathered... including the fretboard? I don't get it.

On a related note, if you have money to burn, Austin Guitar House looks like a great place to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celery Man View Post
    Wait... am I confused? A Flying V or a Tele would be more appropriate than a Strat or an LP for a blues jam?

The mini squire strats get good reviews on musicians friend. For $99 seems hard to go wrong.

Never been a fan of these kind of guitars. They look cool though. But waaaay pricey IMO.

you basically said "An Iroc looks retarded.... unless it's black"
    No idea what you're trying to say there.

My post was basically about seeing what peoples opinion of relics were. Some people dig 'em, some hate 'em. I don't mind them and see why some folks would want one.

Then I finished it off with a pic of a $7000 guitar for sale at MF that's covered in fake burn scars on the top (an obvious rip of the guitar Hendrix torched and gave to Frank Zappa) and said that it's the only guitar I'd call someone a dumbass for buying.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHorn View Post
    wws - I wandered into Austin Guitar House yesterday, and they had a bunch of aged Fenders, including one that was just a Fender lookalike by some custom brand. All were in the multi-thousand dollar range. I was shocked at how much people will pay for a trashed guitar. A collectors item, I understand. But a new guitar that's pre-weathered... including the fretboard? I don't get it.

On a related note, if you have money to burn, Austin Guitar House looks like a great place to do it.
    The big market for those beat guitars are the baby boomers who want a vintage 50's/60's Strat or Tele that's "just like the one I had back in the day". If they don't want to dop 20k on a legit Pre-CBS, then a 5k guitar that's designed to look like the 20k guitar they wanted in the first place obviously seems like the next best option.

Oz over at the Guitar House is good people. He's smart for primarily stocking only cork sniffer boutique gear. There are tons of guys who eat that $#@! up and Oz is the only guy offering most of those brands anywhere in the state.

No idea what you're trying to say there.

My post was basically about seeing what peoples opinion of relics were. Some people dig 'em, some hate 'em. I don't mind them and see why some folks would want one.

Then I finished it off with a pic of a $7000 guitar for sale at MF that's covered in fake burn scars on the top (an obvious rip of the guitar Hendrix torched and gave to Frank Zappa) and said that it's the only guitar I'd call someone a dumbass for buying.
    I just mean that I can't imagine one artificially beat-up guitar being awesome but someone being stupid for buying a different artificially beat up guitar.

asshat DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Never been a fan of these kind of guitars. They look cool though. But waaaay pricey IMO.
    I say it's worth about an extra hundred bucks for something that looks cool (the first one is pretty rad). A bit more if it's done by a recognized artist and signed. Seven Gs is $#@!ing retarded.

But the earlier line of fake worn Starts they put out really sucked. They had fork stabbings in them and obvious signs of fakeness.

Distressing paint as a design technique is perfectly valid and cool, if the results are appealing to the eye. Faking worn is pretty goofy, though.
    Last edited by DougO; 07-22-2012 at 01:22 PM.

asshat DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO's Avatar
    Just like those $#@!ing jeans everybody wore about 10 years ago, with the fake faded spots on the thighs. I wanted to kick everyone in the groin that I saw wearing that $#@!.

I like the wear I get on my guitars after I play them for years. I earned it. I'm not going to buy it.

Brickhorn, I hadn't heard about that shop until I drove by yesterday. You were probably there at the time.

bunghole Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjazz View Post
    I like the wear I get on my guitars after I play them for years. I earned it. I'm not going to buy it.
    Agreed. I always found it funny on guitar forums when people would ask "How do I make my guitar look like it's been played for years and years?" For every one person who suggested sandpaper and chemicals, there would be another who would tell the OP just to enjoy playing the damn thing and let the wear come naturally.

I find it crazy that there are guitar relic services popping up now: http://www.custom-relics.com/relic-services/

Also, there are some bad relics out there. Example:

Jesus. That Tele needs to be euthanized, not played.

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    Not a fan of the fake relics.

I sure as hell hope that's a cheapass Squier tele.

"After I finished relic'ing the first guitar, I was so impressed with how it turned out that I not only gave my second guitar the relic treatment, but decided to send my amp stand back in time as well".

I never knew Louis Shanks sold amp stands!

"After I finished relic'ing the first guitar, I was so impressed with how it turned out that I not only gave my second guitar the relic treatment, but decided to send my amp stand back in time as well".

might as well come with photoshopped pic of the guitar and amp stand's owner playing in front of huge crowds over a 10 year span....

These guys also beg to differ:

But that's cool. Different strokes.

I agree with Brick. Moreover, I've seen a lot of legit old guitars. My Dad actually has a '59 Strat that has years worth of grit from playing clubs out back in the day. My problem with the "relics" is that they never quite seem to match the vibe. If you put a real old guitar next to the relic, I think I could pick out the new from the old 9 out of ten times.

But at the end of the day, they're catering to a certain taste at a price point that is actually obtainable. You just can't run down to the pawn shop and find an old Strat at a reasonable price like you could back in the 70s or 80s. I remember as a kid going to my first guitar show in the mid-80s and seeing a Strat that was $10k (pre-CBS of course) and thinking that was absolutely outrageous money. This past guitfiddle show in Dallas, I saw essentially the same guitars going in the $30-$50k range. If you're into an "aged" look, but can't pay the price for the real deal, I see where they're coming from.

side note 2... if you've been to enough blues jams there will be things to piss you off far exceeding the types of guitars people bring. All time favorite was one where this girl came up to sing and said "ok guys, this is an original. It goes E, A and moves up to B". oh, thanks bitch. It's a blues jam. None of us are familiar with the 1-4-5.
    -CSB

^^This made me chuckle.

asshat BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn's Avatar
    side note 2... if you've been to enough blues jams there will be things to piss you off far exceeding the types of guitars people bring. All time favorite was one where this girl came up to sing and said "ok guys, this is an original. It goes E, A and moves up to B". oh, thanks bitch. It's a blues jam. None of us are familiar with the 1-4-5.
    -CSB
    Holy $#@!. You met the chick who invented 12-bar blues?

Also, can anyone recommend a good technician in Austin to do a basic guitar set-up? I'd like to get my guitars adjusted and what-not.

I'd check straight music or south Austin guitars. Bet they both have someone good.

Anyone doing repair work at any of the local shops around town will be fine. When you start getting into wanting a refret, neck reset etc., then certain guys are better than others.

Another option would be to learn how to do all that $#@! yourself. If that's something you'd be interested in, I'd be more than happy to spend a day showing you how to set up and maintain all your guitars. Wouldn't cost you a thing and learning how to do that stuff will save you a lot of cash down the line.

I took a semester off of college to do a 5 month guitar building course at a luthier school in Phoenix so I've got all of the tools/supplies needed to do anything from setups to complete builds. The only problem is that I'm out of town for the next couple of months so if you can wait until then, lemme know.

Anyone doing repair work at any of the local shops around town will be fine. When you start getting into wanting a refret, neck reset etc., then certain guys are better than others.

Another option would be to learn how to do all that $#@! yourself. If that's something you'd be interested in, I'd be more than happy to spend a day showing you how to set up and maintain all your guitars. Wouldn't cost you a thing and learning how to do that stuff will save you a lot of cash down the line.

I took a semester off of college to do a 5 month guitar building course at a luthier school in Phoenix so I've got all of the tools/supplies needed to do anything from setups to complete builds. The only problem is that I'm out of town for the next couple of months so if you can wait until then, lemme know.
    Wow. Thanks, man. I might just take you up on that.

Holy $#@!. You met the chick who invented 12-bar blues?
    its even funnier... she was a white sorority chick. All of us were expecting a Disney moment where she gets up and is amazing and we're floored.... yeah... no. She was mediocre and started her "original" song with "My man done left me". The drummer was over it about 45 seconds in so he would call out "latin!" or "reggae" every 30-40 seconds and change rhythm completely just to piss the chick off enough to leave...
    cooler story now, isn't it, bro?

bunghole Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan Shaggy Bronze Club Tall Dark and Texan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad $#@! View Post
    If you put a real old guitar next to the relic, I think I could pick out the new from the old 9 out of ten times.
    Don't underestimate yourself, you could pick out the real deal ten times out of ten.

Last edited by Tall Dark and Texan; 07-23-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Damn enough with the strat comebacks. Just $#@!ing with you guys that have posted a bunch of strat pics.

They are all good guitars, and better at some things than others.

Even if a the relic work looks accurate, they usually don't feel anything like an old guitar with one exception. Dan Strain of Danocaster makes a guitar that could fool just about anyone. Nobody else really comes close.

You'd be surprised how many well knows guitarists play replica's of their old guitars. Especially the guys that are associated with specific instruments. I'd be willing to say that 75% of the old Fenders/LP's etc. you see being used by guys on tour are brand new replica's made by a ghost builder.

Here's some guitars made by Dan.

Who's Tele is that -- Springsteen's?

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 6 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast