+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 265 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guitar Pron Thread

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar

The Guitar Pron Thread

I thought I was cured, it's been a couple years since I've picked up a new guitar, but I find myself googling black penguins, white falcons, and duo jets, and I'm afraid it won't be long till I have another axe under the bed.

Anyways, I $#@!ing love guitars, especially beautiful ones. I can play, but I have way too many for a person of my skill. Not a great picture, but here are a few of my favorites. I'd love to see some of yours, any of you other shaggy axe slingers.

2001 Gretsch 6120-N. Oddball Gretsch. Most Gretsch guitars have a Venetian cutaway, rather than this Florentine cutaway, and this is a semi-hollow rather than a hollow body like other 6120s. I love Gibson guitars, but I'm a Fender dude. I wanted a 335 and a Les Paul, but every one I've played just doesn't feel right and I cut my fingers. This one comes from me wanting a 335 for forever, and then winding up in the Guitar Center in Clear Lake to pick up some tubes in the middle of a recording session, seeing this guitar, and falling in love. I love this guitar more than any other. The Bigsby on it is divine.

2003 Paul Reed Smith McCarty. I wanted a Les Paul, couldn't find one that felt right in my hands, ended up falling in love with this one. Great tone, and it has a beautiful neck Indian rosewood neck - not an Indian rosewood fretboard, the whole neck is raw Indian rosewood. Great feel, similar to an LP tone.

1998 Fender American Standard Strat. My first electric, my love. Originally had a white pickguard rather than the tortoiseshell it now sports. Great guitar.

Show me what you got, Shagsters, lemme see your guitar prawn.
    Last edited by Celery Man; 09-04-2011 at 02:22 AM.

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    G6120-1959LTV (autographed by Fred Gretsch, Joe Carducci, and Tom "TV" Jones - Currently for Sale)

Limited Run G6199-B Billy-Bo in Black w/ Gold hardware (Current #1)

Gibson SG Standard in action in Las Vegas at the Venitian last spring:

'99 American Standard Stratocaster with tons of upgrades (also for sale)

My very 1st guitar, '80 Electra Zephyr LP, law suite era Les Paul. Great action and tone, if I ever get around to changing the pickups it will go in the rotation. Never for Sale.

Rock on good people \m/

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celery Man View Post
    I thought I was cured, it's been a couple years since I've picked up a new guitar, but I find myself googling black penguins, white falcons, and duo jets, and I'm afraid it won't be long till I have another axe under the bed.

Anyways, I $#@!ing love guitars, especially beautiful ones. I can play, but I have way too many for a person of my skill. Not a great picture, but here are a few of my favorites. I'd love to see some of yours, any of you other shaggy axe slingers.

2001 Gretsch 6120-N. Oddball Gretsch. Most Gretsch guitars have a Venetian cutaway, rather than this Florentine cutaway, and this is a semi-hollow rather than a hollow body like other 6120s. I love Gibson guitars, but I'm a Fender dude. I wanted a 335 and a Les Paul, but every one I've played just doesn't feel right and I cut my fingers. This one comes from me wanting a 335 for forever, and then winding up in the Guitar Center in Clear Lake to pick up some tubes in the middle of a recording session, seeing this guitar, and falling in love. I love this guitar more than any other. The Bigsby on it is divine.

2003 Paul Reed Smith McCarty. I wanted a Les Paul, couldn't find one that felt right in my hands, ended up falling in love with this one. Great tone, and it has a beautiful neck Indian rosewood neck - not an Indian rosewood fretboard, the whole neck is raw Indian rosewood. Great feel, similar to an LP tone.

1998 Fender American Standard Strat. My first electric, my love. Originally had a white pickguard rather than the tortoiseshell it now sports. Great guitar.

Show me what you got, Shagsters, lemme see your guitar prawn.
    I'm a Gretsch fanatic. That Gretsch of yours is unique. Never seen one like it. Please go to www.gretschpages.com and register it in the database they are creating. They are cataloging all Gretsch's to track changes and features. There are several in there like mine, not sure there are any like yours. Please, please add it for history sake. They are doing good work for us musicians/guitar enthusiasts.

Edit: Florentine Cutaway, Orange Sparkle, Humpblock Inlays, Gold Hardware. I'm really in love with your guitar. What a beauty. would love to see it sometime. Let me know if shes ever for sale.
    Last edited by AnotherUTFan; 09-04-2011 at 03:14 AM.

I have a '62 Gibson 330 at my buddy's studio where it's safer than my house... pics soon.

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    sweet pics, doesn't malcolm young of ac-dc play a gretsch?

I have a '97 Fender Cali Strat with humbucker.

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    Malcolm plays a Gretsch, and has a signature model, I believe. Gretsch's are some awesome guitars. Probably the most personality in their guitars out of any major manufacturer.

Doubt I'll ever sell my 6120-N, AnotherUT, but you'd be welcome to take her for a spin should we ever cross paths. I love that guitar. Great action, feeds back when you want it to, and just sounds perfect through a Twin. Added it to the Gretsch Pages. They did have a few other 6120-N's on there. They only made the guitar for a couple of years, and I think they got a lot of backlash from it. One of the few semi-hollow guitars ever made by Gretsch, and the cutaway was not well received. Still sounds like a Gretsch, though. Very nice guitars of yours, btw, the 6120 is killer..

Eddie - I don't have my ear real close to the ground on guitar markets, but I feel like older Fender student models like the Mustang and the DuoSonic have become a bit en vogue, and probably gained value. I bet that PRS's of the ilk of my McCarty have gone down in value/esteem since I bought mine. Doesn't bother me at all since I just love it as a guitar, and it is an excellent well made beautiful sounding guitar, but I feel like PRS lost some cred by being associated with Nu-Metal acts and stuff like that.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    UTFan, On that Electra...I bought one that looked like that in 1978 when I was a jr. in high school. It was the MPC model with the effects modules that you snapped into the back. It thought it was still a tree. That damn thing never held a tune longer than 30 minutes. It was a beautiful LP copy...very dark brown, wood grain, glossy finish...just a beautiful guitar but what a piece of crap. At the time, it was about the same price as a Les Paul and I have kicked myself in the ass ever since that day. I sold it for about 1/2 of what I paid for it in 1983.

asshat Sparky grows his own roses Sparky grows his own roses Sparky grows his own roses Sparky grows his own roses Sparky grows his own roses Sparky grows his own roses Sparky grows his own roses Sparky grows his own roses Sparky grows his own roses Sparky grows his own roses Sparky grows his own roses Sparky's Avatar
    Good buddy of mine in Frisco buys and sells them.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/...038&catAbb=sss

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    sweet pics, doesn't malcolm young of ac-dc play a gretsch?
    Malcolm usually plays an early '60's double cut Duo-Jet that he's had since before AC/DC. The bridge pickup is missing and there's a cutout for a center pickup. I hope that guitar ends up in a museum or the R&R Hall of Fame when he's done with it. His signature model is based on this one. There are quite a few videos & pictures of him playing a White Falcon that's bigger that he is back in the '80's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
    I'd love to hear about certain guitars that have appreciated a lot lately (for whatever reason)... I'm always interested in markets like these. I think someone who loves (and knows music) could do well with the right collection
    The market is way down from where it was a few years ago other than for a few very rare/desirable models. It takes a lot of detailed knowlege to make a buck. For instance a late '58/early '59 G6120 looks exactly the same to the laymen and most guitar players as a late '59 through about '61 model. However the value difference is huge. Setzer made the early '59 model desirable and it's tone is attributed to some internal bracing that Gretsch only used for several months. The one I have pictured above has that style bracing and is a recreation of the original.

Tough market, but you can make money if your know what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    UTFan, On that Electra...I bought one that looked like that in 1978 when I was a jr. in high school. It was the MPC model with the effects modules that you snapped into the back. It thought it was still a tree. That damn thing never held a tune longer than 30 minutes. It was a beautiful LP copy...very dark brown, wood grain, glossy finish...just a beautiful guitar but what a piece of crap. At the time, it was about the same price as a Les Paul and I have kicked myself in the ass ever since that day. I sold it for about 1/2 of what I paid for it in 1983.
    Mine was a birthday gift when I was about 14. There we three guitars in the pawnshop when I got mine, one with the modules like yours, mine, and a Gibson LP. The Gibson was about $50 more. My Dad, who's a fantastic player, thought the Electra played better than the Gisbson so he bought it. I wanted the Gibson, but didn't have the nerve to complain.It actually does have a nice neck and holds a tune great. The hardware started pitting a few years ago so I replaced the tuners and bridge pieces. The electronics are scratchy now. It would sound great if I changed out the pots and maybe put some quality pickups in it. It's just a matter of dumping more money into it than the guitar is worth. These we desirable and expensive in the late '70s because Peter Frampton endorsed them. What I wish I had, that was inexpensive then, is a Yamaha SG - AKA the Les Paul Killer, these things have appreciated very nicely:

asshat Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc's Avatar
    I'm a Les Paul fan, here is mine:

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Yep. Electra threw money at Frampton to have him hold the guitar on the cover of an add copy.
    http://www.rivercityamps.com/electra/history.php
    As a 16 year old kid, that is all I needed to be convinced. Plus, the modules were cool to play with at the time. $#@!head salesman also sold me a Super Reverb. Talk about WAY overkill. However, when I sold it in college, I lived off the proceeds for several months. I think I sold it for more than I paid for it.

A chick I know plays an Electra bass and she wouldn't trade it for everything. She owns a used guitar store so she has access to a ton of equipment and she plays the Electra almost exclusively. I just have just gotten a dud. These pictures don't do it justice on how pretty the wood was and the fret inlays were beautiful. Mine had the clear pick guard.
    Last edited by hullabelew; 09-06-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Good you came out ahead. We never really own them, just use them until we need to finance something else. Good website you linked, mines the 2264N.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc View Post

Bootiful.

Any details? Is that a repro of an aged sunburst, like Gary Moore's?

asshat Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc Shaggy Bronze Club Rick Simon - S&S PI, Inc's Avatar
    Bootiful.

Any details? Is that a repro of an aged sunburst, like Gary Moore's?
    Yep, it was built by Tom Bartlett , almost exact 59 with aging. The only thing out of spec is the internal routing channel. There's an entire thread on it over on mylespaul.

Man, I was hoping for such greater things from this thread. C'mon guys, even if you've just got a mexi-Strat, post a pic of the goods. I love drooling over guitars of all kinds. Alon, I think we're still waiting on you to post a pic of the goods.

My band is in the studio recording a new album. The player here is our other guitarist, but this is pretty much the expression I have when playing my Gretsch.

Your band gotta name?

asshat Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon's Avatar
    i own a few (not sure how to post pics so here are some links to stock photos

electrics:
    2001 PRS custom 24 w/ 10 top emerald green
    http://www.google.com/imgres?q=PRS+c...t:429,r:31,s:0

2010 Gibson les paul traditional plus honey burst
    http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/4...-Honey-Burst-/

2000 Gibson les paul studio wine red all gold hardware with an EMG 85 in the neck (even though this is the bridge pickup the tone is so thin its like playing a coke can with rubber bands on it)
    http://www.google.com/imgres?q=gibso...:0&tx=69&ty=71

asshat Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon's Avatar

tabacco burst? 1960 something???

also here is a great forum for les paul lovers mylespaul.com

asshat TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo Shaggy Bronze Club TankedBevo's Avatar
    I'm in love with PRS's, I wish I new how to play. One day when I get enough time I'll learn just enough to warrant splurging on one.

asshat VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. VoodooChi|d's Avatar
    Sorry for the horrible pics.

From left to right: 1971 Fender Jazz Bass, Epiphone Hummingbird, Fender Mexican Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, Fender American "Hot Rod" "Fat Strat" Texas Special (longest name ever), Epiphone Les Paul.

Better pic of the Hummingbird

Better pic of the custom Mexi-strat and vintage J-bass

I also have a Taylor acoustic that's broken right now.

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    my beloved fender redondo, she's got a big butt, sublime neck and beautiful head...

also missing my old fender strat, sunburst...

asshat NotActuallyALonghorn has a gigantic e-peen. NotActuallyALonghorn has a gigantic e-peen. NotActuallyALonghorn has a gigantic e-peen. NotActuallyALonghorn has a gigantic e-peen. NotActuallyALonghorn has a gigantic e-peen. NotActuallyALonghorn has a gigantic e-peen. NotActuallyALonghorn has a gigantic e-peen. NotActuallyALonghorn has a gigantic e-peen. NotActuallyALonghorn has a gigantic e-peen. NotActuallyALonghorn has a gigantic e-peen. NotActuallyALonghorn has a gigantic e-peen. NotActuallyALonghorn's Avatar
    Spent a couple of days trying to figure out what I was doing and ended up putting this together:

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Digging the Hummingbird and the cigar box guitar. Cool sunburst strat two - looks like a 2-tone sunburst?

Quote Originally Posted by TankedBevo View Post
    I'm in love with PRS's, I wish I new how to play. One day when I get enough time I'll learn just enough to warrant splurging on one.
    *i wish i KNEW how to play
    *i have a NEW prs

:) learn to play its easier then you think

Bam

@crayon, don't be a showoff...

Quote Originally Posted by Crayon1973 View Post
    Bam
    Nice. Interesting pickup location. Hows it sound there? Warm I imagine.

Crayon, what's the story on that guitar?

The guitar sounds pretty amazing and it's really light as it's completely hollow. It's a 1962 330 and I got it... or rather... a pawn ticket for it from a friend who owed me money. I got that an an American Fender Jazz bass out of pawn for the guy and after I loaned him back his bass he lost it due to coke. I've had the guitar for 5 years so and he's never made an effort to pay me back so it's mine.

I'll also have a cool franken-guitar sometime at the end of the month. When I was a kid I saved up for 2 years and bought an Ibanez pro-line which looked like this, but black

One bad neck crack later the thing has been just sitting for 20 years. I recently met a guy who can fix it so I'm having him put a fixed bridge on it and sanding and repainting the whole thing. It has a Floyd Rose trem but I just don't want a guitar that requires an allen wrench to change strings as keeping track of a tiny allen wrench doesn't really work with my personality. I'll put that up asw soon as I get it. Also, if any of you are wondering about the buttons on the guitar each pickup has an independent on/off switch and the other two turn on the button system and also toggle the bridge pickup between humbucker and single coil.

So it's not a guitar, but I spent the last couple weeks unloading gear, including my Strat and a Fender tube amp, on Craigslist and picked up this bad boy today. I'm pretty stoked about it.

Mesa Boogie Mark V

Maybe the most versatile amp on the planet with a pricetag to match. Will go from vintage Fender to Death Metal. I spent a couple hours dialing in some useful clean & blues tones out of the ch 1&2 and some great Metallica sounds out of ch 3, but will need more time with it. Surprisingly manageable in 90w mode too. That was a nice surprise, I normally need lower wattage amps and part of the reason I looked at this in the 1st place was the 45w mode.

asshat ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax's Avatar
    You guys are so gonna scoff at me, but with two kids and a wife with too many hobbies, space is at a premium at my house. I sold off all my electric guitars and got this Variax modeling guitar. Yeah, it doesn't sound quite right but I don't really care. I'm not going on stage. I did hang on to one acoustic guitar.

bunghole chrispy is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? chrispy is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? chrispy is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? chrispy is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? chrispy is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? chrispy is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? chrispy's Avatar

Rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post
    Don't know how it sounds but sure it pretty.

asshat ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax has a gigantic e-peen. ajax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    Don't know how it sounds but sure it pretty.
    It's a cool toy. I don't think any serious player would use it for recording though.

Some of those reso modelings sound cool as do the banjo models. Love the comment he made about 'about annoying your band mates.' How does that guitar play? I've played the 'acoustic' models of the Line6 but never the solid bodies.

It plays really well. The quality has definitely gone up from the early incarnations of the Variax and it no longer looks goofy. It actually looks like a guitar now.

Nice amp, UTFan. It's been awhile since I've fed my gear acquisition syndrome, but I'm starting to look at amps. I have an old first gen Line6 (a toy, would never bring it on stage but it's good for shredding at apartment appropriate volumes), a little 5 watt Champ and a Blues Jr. that have satisfied my needs, but it's looking like I may need something with more firepower this summer and I'm starting to look at the larger Fender combos. I'd love a Twin or a Bassman.

ajax - I hadn't seen the newer Variax's (or been aware if they were still being made or not) - that one really is a lot more attractive than the early versions. Best use I've ever seen one of those put to was a dude in a cover band who had getting facsimiles of different guitar tones out of that thing down really well.

asshat DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO's Avatar

Awesomeness. I have a super clean '79 cherry sunburst Standard, but I'm not worthy of playing it. Pretty much stays in the closet except on special occasions.

Nice amp, UTFan. It's been awhile since I've fed my gear acquisition syndrome, but I'm starting to look at amps. I have an old first gen Line6 (a toy, would never bring it on stage but it's good for shredding at apartment appropriate volumes), a little 5 watt Champ and a Blues Jr. that have satisfied my needs, but it's looking like I may need something with more firepower this summer and I'm starting to look at the larger Fender combos. I'd love a Twin or a Bassman.

ajax - I hadn't seen the newer Variax's (or been aware if they were still being made or not) - that one really is a lot more attractive than the early versions. Best use I've ever seen one of those put to was a dude in a cover band who had getting facsimiles of different guitar tones out of that thing down really well.
    Just got home from taking the new rig out live. Still dialing it in, but wow. The cleans blow away any black face Fender I've heard and ch 2 & 3 were just sublime. Never had so many compliments on my tone. Before tonight I played through Fender DRRIs & HRDeluxe.

Id encourage anybody in the Fender Tube Amp market to try a Mesa (Express 5:25 even). Tone and sustain without end. Remember, Mesa started as a Fender amp mod shop in the 60s.

niiice. What is that, a Jackson? Charvel?

Like the tweed case too. I have one for my main gigging axe and I loved how it looked when it was brand new, and I love how it looks now all scuffed up and beat to hell.

Just got one of my guitars back from South Austin Music, where I had just wanted them to give it a good once over and intonate it and set it up (I could do that myself, but they can do it better), and they really did a good job. 2000 Reissue '72 Thinline Tele

They did a really good job cleaning up some rust that was on the guitar, I'm thinking of taking them a really rusty bass of mine that I've been meaning to clean up for a while. I'm not sure what year this is, but I think it's a early 2000's Marcus Miller Jazz Bass.

bunghole LSW grows his own roses LSW grows his own roses LSW grows his own roses LSW grows his own roses LSW grows his own roses LSW grows his own roses LSW grows his own roses LSW grows his own roses LSW grows his own roses LSW grows his own roses LSW grows his own roses LSW's Avatar
    I only know how to play bass; I'm not very good but played in a band for awhile:

2009 deluxe jazz and 2008 standard precision. Took lessons for a bit but my instructor kept telling me I needed to try getting drunk or doing some drugs before playing because I just didn't have good rhythm. ha.

I thought about taking up a 5 string but never got around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUTFan View Post
    So it's not a guitar, but I spent the last couple weeks unloading gear, including my Strat and a Fender tube amp, on Craigslist and picked up this bad boy today. I'm pretty stoked about it.

Mesa Boogie Mark V

Maybe the most versatile amp on the planet with a pricetag to match. Will go from vintage Fender to Death Metal. I spent a couple hours dialing in some useful clean & blues tones out of the ch 1&2 and some great Metallica sounds out of ch 3, but will need more time with it. Surprisingly manageable in 90w mode too. That was a nice surprise, I normally need lower wattage amps and part of the reason I looked at this in the 1st place was the 45w mode.
    $#@!. Mark Morton would kill you for this amp.

This is the guitar amp closet at the studio I spent all day at.

These three were my favorites. That 1950's Les Paul amplifier is amazing, and the Falcon on the right is the brightest sounding amplifier I have ever heard.

niiice. What is that, a Jackson? Charvel?

Like the tweed case too. I have one for my main gigging axe and I loved how it looked when it was brand new, and I love how it looks now all scuffed up and beat to hell.
    It's an Ibanez Pro Line ... they only made them for about a year. But I had a hard tail bridge put on it

Just got one of my guitars back from South Austin Music, where I had just wanted them to give it a good once over and intonate it and set it up (I could do that myself, but they can do it better), and they really did a good job. 2000 Reissue '72 Thinline Tele
    Bill Welker is a really good guy. He has had that store a long time and when he first got it, I wondered how long he could make it last but he had really stuck around.

I've always wanted a Thinline but I've got a Nashville Tele, and really can't justify spending the money on another Tele.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 265 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast