+ Reply to Thread
Page 241 of 241 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 237 238 239 240 241
Results 12,001 to 12,039 of 12039

Thread: The Guitar Pron Thread

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUTFan View Post
    Good description, the 000-28 E string sounds like a concert piano. I fear an HD28/35 would be that only louder - not a bad thing by any means but redundant. A Gibson doesn't have that quality, it's more straight forward.

A friend came over and jammed acoustics for a couple hours this evening. I think I'm stepping away from the ledge. I love that small bodied Martin so much. He did plug in a Gretsch for a bit and the 000 was to quiet, I wished at the moment it had a pickup, not that I had a bigger guitar.
    Yeah, I wonder how much of the difference between the booming E on my big Martins compared to the still very nice and articulate E on my OOO is the body size vs the mahogany instead of spruce.

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    I don't know but would like to find out. It's that spruce top that gives that bright, rich tone though. Mohagany is a softer, silkier, warmer kind of sound - beautiful in its own right.

BTW, have you discovered the magic of strumming that HD28 with the fat side of the pick?

Why don't you just have a pickup put in your OOO? Or buy one with one factory installed?

My Dad has a D-35 with a factory Fishman in the bridge. I played it in church growing up and it was just fine, but it did have feedback issues sometimes.

I know I've posted it in this thread before, but I looked for years and found a used Steve Miller model out of a pawn shop in Reno. It has two pickups, and it (or something similar - Martin offers something similar in their catalogue, I'm sure) will solve all your acoustic/electric needs.

Here's one on Reverb now: https://reverb.com/item/439401-marti...miller-pegasus

Though it hasn't stopped me from pining for a OOO-28 like yours. So, there's that.
    Last edited by Chad Fuck; 01-20-2017 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Looks like that listing has ended. But still...you get the idea.

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    Question for the board:

For you guys that have played in bands. Do you find that the best tones you get at home do not translate in a band setting? In other words, your favorite killer tone you get at home gets lost in the mix so you have to change the EQ a bunch and the mythical tone you achieved at home gets changed just so you can be heard...

I know the sound guy can help with direction of speakers, propping up of speakers with blocks or running you through PA while the others don't etc

Anyway as a non gigging player I've always wondered about such things

Yeah, because you're playing tones that may overlap with other instruments.

Also, every time you change rooms, your sound changes.

BTW, wish me luck. I'm hearding the cats into a studio tomorrow to do a demo to shop around to the local clubs.

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    Awesome Chad! Would love to hear it

asshat HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    Question for the board:

For you guys that have played in bands. Do you find that the best tones you get at home do not translate in a band setting? In other words, your favorite killer tone you get at home gets lost in the mix so you have to change the EQ a bunch and the mythical tone you achieved at home gets changed just so you can be heard...

I know the sound guy can help with direction of speakers, propping up of speakers with blocks or running you through PA while the others don't etc

For me it's the reverse. My tones seem to sound 10 times better when I'm on stage and the volume is up. It's like my amp having its nuts drop. The difference between inaudible garbage and stage volume on two of my amps is about 5 degrees on the volume knob. It's maddening and makes me want to get a Princeton or attenuator or something for home.

My tweaks from bedroom to stage usually involve:

Punching up the treble and high mids.
    Chilling on the reverb.
    Using two clean(ish) boosts at different settings instead of volume knobs.
    Prioritizing volume over gain - not as in making ears bleed, but making the tubes in the amp do as much of the lifting as possible

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    I don't play shows really but I do jam with a few buddies from time to time. I find that all the aspects of my good bedroom tone go out the window as soon as the drums kick in. Volume over gain and simple pedal setup (really only chorus and boost) seems to be the best approach for me.

Awesome Chad! Would love to hear it
    I'll see what we can come up with. Just country cover stuff, no big deal. But it's a fun gig.

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad $#@! View Post
    Yeah, because you're playing tones that may overlap with other instruments.

Also, every time you change rooms, your sound changes.

BTW, wish me luck. I'm hearding the cats into a studio tomorrow to do a demo to shop around to the local clubs.

Question for the board:

Completely. I still haven't solved it.

asshat BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn's Avatar
    Question for the board:

Our band is so $#@!ing loud that I can barely hear myself. But since I typically play out of different amps at home and in practice / gigs, I assume my tone is not consistent.

That said, for the music we play, the most recognizable tone is the Smashing Pumpkins' fuzz. But fuzz tends to get lost in the mix. So I feel like that tone is lost in the full band setting. I use my boost pedal for the leads on "Today," which helps. But I play rhythm on "Cherub Rock" so I don't want to drown out the lead there.

asshat HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso Shaggy Bronze Club HornGrandioso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHorn View Post
    Our band is so $#@!ing loud that I can barely hear myself. But since I typically play out of different amps at home and in practice / gigs, I assume my tone is not consistent.

That said, for the music we play, the most recognizable tone is the Smashing Pumpkins' fuzz. But fuzz tends to get lost in the mix. So I feel like that tone is lost in the full band setting. I use my boost pedal for the leads on "Today," which helps. But I play rhythm on "Cherub Rock" so I don't want to drown out the lead there.
    This raises a good point. The more overdriven or saturated you like your "perfect" tone, the tougher it is going to be recreating it live without it sounding more and more like mud/white noise. I imagine there are articles out there about how to deal with this.

I play a lot of roots rock through a Tele. At most (onstage) I will only go up to the level of dirt in a Stones or Heartless Bastards song. This is the big reason why I lose nothing and gain everything by playing louder. At the levels of OD I prefer, my amp goes from sounding tinny and thin to gorgeous when it's turned up. I just roll back the gain some, and I'm in a sweet spot that can't be reproduced in a bedroom (in my opinion).

When I played in a band, on guitar I had settings that I dialed in rehearsing with the band in our deadened rehearsal space at Music Lab. I would adjust for the stage/room live a little bit, but yeah it didn't have a ton to do with what I might do with the tone if I was plunking around at home. On bass, I don't even like what it sounds like solo in comparison to what it sounds like with a group. It would sound very mid heavy and harsh solo, but would punch through a lot with the group, which was necessary since I did a lot of melodic stuff and the edges of the notes would blur a lot if it had that really pretty bass sound isolated.

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    Welp, that G10 wireless unit worked for a couple of days before crapping out completely. Suck.

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzrock View Post
    Welp, that G10 wireless unit worked for a couple of days before crapping out completely. Suck.
    Booooooo

Quote Originally Posted by equinox View Post
    Maybe buying another guitar will solve my SG neck dive problem

To expound further now that I've got time, I love these little Korean made PRSi from a few years back and already have a couple. This one is supposedly in near mint condition. Supposed to arrive early next week.

asshat Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by equinox View Post
    To expound further now that I've got time, I love these little Korean made PRSi from a few years back and already have a couple. This one is supposedly in near mint condition. Supposed to arrive early next week.
    I love PRS.. probably my favorite of the 3
    1. PRS
    2. Gibson
    3. Fender

asshat DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO's Avatar
    The Korean import PRS guitars are about as good as you can get dollar for dollar.

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    I'm almost but not quite GASing for a PRS. I've always wanted one but the cheapo G&L that I put the Gibson pickups in has made me really happy. And I really like my HH Strat. And my boat paddle Epi with the EMG in it.

But I started reading up on them again because of the Ed Roman conversation up-thread, and he has a tirade about them on his website. He talks about how the early 90's 24-fret handmade models are the ones to seek out due to 24 frets and the smaller heel and they are hand made. Like this one:

https://reverb.com/item/3760987-1993...itar-with-ohsc

Edit: that one I linked is a Custom 22, not 24, but I'm sort of not really looking for one.

If it wasn't the exact same color as my G&L I'd be really tempted.

Edit: the one I linked is a 22 but you get the point.

He also said that 24-fret guitars are better for HH configs, due to something something a dead spot where the neck pickup is. He claims Les Pauls will always sound muddy in the neck pickup position because of it. That seems like a pretty silly claim.

http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/22vs24.htm
    Last edited by Buzzrock; 01-21-2017 at 06:33 PM. Reason: 24

I can't edit that post for some reason, but I realize I linked to a 22 fret model. I think you get the point.

Anyone wanna go halvesies? $3750 for the pair.

asshat DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO's Avatar
    I would pick the one on the right. I like the larger flame. Even though it's not the best side-side match.

If anyone can help me find a luthier that will build a Bo Diddley Cadillac for less than a small fortune, I will get it done and post pics. Here is the original gangsta.

This is "The Duchess," who was not his sister as sang in "The Story of Bo Diddley" by the Animals. It was some strange that joined his band and he told people she was his sister.

The one Tom Holmes built Bo Diddley.

One of the many that Tom Holmes built Billy Gibbons.

As long as the price isn't heart attack-inducing I can probably afford something pretty decent at this time.

asshat GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad's Avatar

Thought this was worth sharing.

asshat Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon Shaggy Silver Club Bogeywon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzrock View Post
    I'm almost but not quite GASing for a PRS. I've always wanted one but the cheapo G&L that I put the Gibson pickups in has made me really happy. And I really like my HH Strat. And my boat paddle Epi with the EMG in it.

But I started reading up on them again because of the Ed Roman conversation up-thread, and he has a tirade about them on his website. He talks about how the early 90's 24-fret handmade models are the ones to seek out due to 24 frets and the smaller heel and they are hand made. Like this one:

https://reverb.com/item/3760987-1993...itar-with-ohsc

Edit: that one I linked is a Custom 22, not 24, but I'm sort of not really looking for one.

If it wasn't the exact same color as my G&L I'd be really tempted.

Edit: the one I linked is a 22 but you get the point.

He also said that 24-fret guitars are better for HH configs, due to something something a dead spot where the neck pickup is. He claims Les Pauls will always sound muddy in the neck pickup position because of it. That seems like a pretty silly claim.

http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/22vs24.htm
    Yo have a custom 24 with a 10 top and it's my favorite guitar I own... it's a green flame too.. it plays like a dream...

I just had a 30 minute conversation with Tom Holmes about everything he ever did for Bo Diddley, Albert King, and Billy Gibbons. Fascinating. He says he wants to build a few more Cadillacs but doesn't know when he'll start. Still in the market...

Quote Originally Posted by HornGrandioso View Post
    I just had a 30 minute conversation with Tom Holmes about everything he ever did for Bo Diddley, Albert King, and Billy Gibbons. Fascinating. He says he wants to build a few more Cadillacs but doesn't know when he'll start. Still in the market...
    Definitely keep us updated on that.

This is "The Duchess," who was not his sister as sang in "The Story of Bo Diddley" by the Animals. It was some strange that joined his band and he told people she was his sister.

She diddled Diddley.

She "knows" Diddley.

My recently departed friend Zychek played with Bo Diddley on some Texas tour dates back in the 80s. That would have been interesting.

If anyone can help me find a luthier that will build a Bo Diddley Cadillac for less than a small fortune, I will get it done and post pics. Here is the original gangsta.

The one Tom Holmes built Bo Diddley.

One of the many that Tom Holmes built Billy Gibbons.

As long as the price isn't heart attack-inducing I can probably afford something pretty decent at this time.
    I could get down with this. Would it help if he made two?

asshat Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death's Avatar
    I don't want to tell you guys how to outfit your music rooms, but this isn't a bad way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    I don't want to tell you guys how to outfit your music rooms, but this isn't a bad way to go.

Wow is this yours??????? Bad ass hit right here

asshat Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death's Avatar
    It's not. I'm not a player, only here for the pron. but my friend is a guitarist so I see lots of things on his fb feed, most recently this music furniture maker.

Nice. Still working on mine -

need a beat to $#@! oriental rug
    Last edited by Celery Man; Yesterday at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celery Man View Post
    Nice. Still working on mine -

need a beat to $#@! oriental rug
    Unauthorized touching of guitars will result in testicle removal by attack dog.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    I could get down with this. Would it help if he made two?
    The guy is nice as hell but I'm not holding my breath. He is way behind on orders for just his guitar pickups (which go for like $650/pair on the secondhand market!?). He said if/when he got around to making some, he'll list them online. Knowing luthiers, I will already have my flying car by the time he gets them done and probably won't have much interest anymore.

One option might be to just buy a body from Ed Roman and have someone here in Texas put it all together. He's an alleged douche but he sells the body.

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    How much are they asking for this HG? I'm intrigued.

A lot of routing left to do.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 241 of 241 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 237 238 239 240 241