+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: GOT: Winds of Winter

The last two books weren't just useless back story.

All of the stuff with Jon at the wall. Everything with Arya in Braavos. Cersei's downfall. Jaime's character turn. Reek. Victarion being insane.

People get pissed because a lot of the plots were disappointing: Dany, Brienne and the Dornish stuff. But people should remember how great some of the other stuff was.

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Pollo_Loco11 View Post
    Thats 3 years in Meereen, I would have to quit
    I did not think about that. Good point.

asshat HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04's Avatar
    I've accepted that GRRM will probably not finish the series.

Quote Originally Posted by fellside View Post
    The last two books weren't just useless back story.

All of the stuff with Jon at the wall. Everything with Arya in Braavos. Cersei's downfall. Jaime's character turn. Reek. Victarion being insane.

People get pissed because a lot of the plots were disappointing: Dany, Brienne and the Dornish stuff. But people should remember how great some of the other stuff was.
    I enjoyed the last two books. However, getting into the series late, I didn't have the angst of waiting five god damn years for answers. I may empathize with those that are pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by elfenix View Post
    i dunno, how much further past the battle of the blackwater are we? 6 months at most?
    At the beginning of the series, Sansa was 11. By the Middle of A Dance with Dragons, her younger sister Arya would have been old enough to marry Ramsay without anybody suspecting a thing. I think we are at least 3 years past the battle of the Blackwater, maybe even 5.

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    Two years passed from the beginning of the 1st book until the end of Swords.

asshat Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado's Avatar
    On a has-been planet orbited by a cold, indifferent sun
    Timeline question:

Is winter coming?

asshat Eastwood22 Probably Shaggy upper class Eastwood22 Probably Shaggy upper class Eastwood22 Probably Shaggy upper class Eastwood22 Probably Shaggy upper class Eastwood22 Probably Shaggy upper class Eastwood22 Probably Shaggy upper class Eastwood22 Probably Shaggy upper class Eastwood22 Probably Shaggy upper class Eastwood22 Probably Shaggy upper class Eastwood22 Probably Shaggy upper class Eastwood22 Probably Shaggy upper class Eastwood22's Avatar
    In Tom Herman's box not looking like Tom Herman
    The white raven at the end of ADWD is the official proclamation from the Citadel that winter has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil' Fry McFly View Post
    At the beginning of the series, Sansa was 11. By the Middle of A Dance with Dragons, her younger sister Arya would have been old enough to marry Ramsay without anybody suspecting a thing. I think we are at least 3 years past the battle of the Blackwater, maybe even 5.
    The age numbers of the kids are off from how the characters are written. That's well known and something grrm has acknowledged and said was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by elfenix View Post
    The age numbers of the kids are off from how the characters are written. That's well known and something grrm has acknowledged and said was an issue.
    Well, I'm certainly no expert. I do think it was sort of ingenious of Martin to create a universe where seasons last multiple years, though. It gives him a ton of outs when questions like this start getting asked, because the timeline in the books is not specific at all.

asshat Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person's Avatar
    Just finished book 5 and was blown away book 6 is not ready, wtf

Well, I'm certainly no expert. I do think it was sort of ingenious of Martin to create a universe where seasons last multiple years, though. It gives him a ton of outs when questions like this start getting asked, because the timeline in the books is not specific at all.
    I just stupidly thought of this but how do would you measure years without seasons? The stars and parallax and $#@!? And what usefulness would that year measurement actually have?

asshat dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab Person View Post
    You must not be familiar with the books.

Keep this thread bookmarked for 2015.

Ewige Blumenkraft misterloki Shaggy Bronze Club misterloki Shaggy Bronze Club misterloki Shaggy Bronze Club misterloki Shaggy Bronze Club misterloki Shaggy Bronze Club misterloki Shaggy Bronze Club misterloki Shaggy Bronze Club misterloki Shaggy Bronze Club misterloki Shaggy Bronze Club misterloki Shaggy Bronze Club misterloki Shaggy Bronze Club misterloki's Avatar
    hahahahahahahahaha

asshat HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04 Definitely Shaggy upper class HornsN04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Grenadine View Post
    I just stupidly thought of this but how do would you measure years without seasons? The stars and parallax and $#@!? And what usefulness would that year measurement actually have?
    It beats me. Maybe there are seasons within seasons, where it's just hotter than all get out for 6 months of the summer and only pretty hot the other 6 months. This $#@! is best left to the maesters, though.

asshat Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado's Avatar
    It beats me. Maybe there are seasons within seasons, where it's just hotter than all get out for 6 months of the summer and only pretty hot the other 6 months. This $#@! is best left to the maesters, though.
    That is how I interpreted it. Maybe their red dwarf sun is flickering. The planet has some goofy as $#@! orbit or some multi year el niņo thing happening between the Summer and Shivering Sea?

Mummer's Farce answer - You know nothing. Start on your name day and count from the there.

asshat Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox's Avatar
    I just stupidly thought of this but how do would you measure years without seasons?
    Seasons are dictated by the tilt of the Earth's axis. Years are dictated by the revolution of the Earth around the Sun.

So, there are completely different mechanics driving them, although I believe humans (and particularly those living in the time-period these novels were meant to reflect) first broke down years by seasons, and eventually more scientifically by tracking a completion of the Sun's angles as they were projected on a sundial. First, dipping low in the sky during winter, then rising high in the sky during the summer - completing one cycle (year) in what they discovered to be an endless, and mathematically correlated, frequency.

So, I guess my answer to your question is - I don't know.
    Last edited by Mikeinthebox; 04-11-2013 at 03:42 PM.

asshat Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox Shaggy Gold Club Mikeinthebox's Avatar
    OK - one possibility - you have solar cycles which are very small, operating inside of each season. So, a solar cycle which repeats 'yearly' during summer, then, a drastic adjustment as the seasons change, then, a completely new solar cycle which repeats 'yearly' during winter.

So, the Sun might go from 75 degrees above the horizon to 70 degrees, and then back to 75 degrees (giving one year in Summer) for 5 straight years. Then, the Sun's angle would go from 75 degrees above the horizon to 30 degrees above the horizon, up to 35 degrees, and then back down to 30 degrees (giving one year in Winter) for 5 straight years.

And that, ladies and gents, is a rectal extraction.
    Last edited by Mikeinthebox; 04-11-2013 at 04:03 PM.

asshat El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11's Avatar
    its magic, GRRM said so, man it would $#@!ing suck to endure year long winters

Quote Originally Posted by El_Pollo_Loco11 View Post
    its magic, GRRM said so, man it would $#@!ing suck to endure year long winters
    Yeah, and that would be considered an insanely short winter. Count me out.

Yeah, and that would be considered an insanely short winter. Count me out.
    Better than the year long summer we have in Texas

asshat longhrnfan grows his own roses longhrnfan grows his own roses longhrnfan grows his own roses longhrnfan grows his own roses longhrnfan grows his own roses longhrnfan grows his own roses longhrnfan grows his own roses longhrnfan grows his own roses longhrnfan grows his own roses longhrnfan grows his own roses longhrnfan grows his own roses longhrnfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dark horse View Post
    You must not be familiar with the books.

Keep this thread bookmarked for 2015.
    how will this play with the tv series? Is HBO just going to put it on hold for years?

A Feast for Crows will just be 3 seasons where nothing happens

GoT will not be seen this week, so HBO can proudly bring you the Brienne and Pod Show.

58 minutes of Brienne and Pod walking through a forest. Show scenes from next week episode when they walk through a town!

Quote Originally Posted by llano estacado View Post
    got will not be seen this week, so hbo can proudly bring you the brienne and pod show.

58 minutes of brienne and pod walking through a forest. Show scenes from next week episode when they walk through a town!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Duke of New York (Exiled) Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    Feast for Crows may be the most inapproriately named title of a book ever.

At first I thought it referenced the Black Brothers. Nope

Then I thought there was going to be a $#@!ton of killing (granted with all the killing so far, there would be no one left at the end of the book). Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser97 View Post
    Feast for Crows may be the most inapproriately named title of a book ever.

At first I thought it referenced the Black Brothers. Nope

Then I thought there was going to be a $#@!ton of killing (granted with all the killing so far, there would be no one left at the end of the book). Nope
    Now that you mention it, what the hell does the title reference?

I thought it ment this. A single big battle field is going to get cleaned up quickly by either side. I always thought a Feast for Crows was supposed to describe the overall death, destruction, and chaos from Dorne to the Wall. Even with the "War of 5 Kings" kind of settled Westros is in more chaos than ever.

Winterfell - $#@!ed.
    Iron Islands - $#@!ed.
    Vale - $#@!ed.
    Riverlands - $#@!ed.
    DragonStone - $#@!ed.
    Storm's End - $#@!ed.
    High Garden - mind $#@!ed by Cersi
    Dorne - half mind $#@!ed.
    King's Landing - really $#@!ed.
    Then you have splinter groups and what is left of armies Brotherhood, Brave Companions, Renly's, Northmen, Ironmen, Holy Order weird group, etc.

One giant killing field no one cares about is a crow's dream.

asshat Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Llano Estacado View Post
    58 minutes of Brienne and Pod walking through a forest. Show scenes from next week episode when they walk through a town!
    With the other 2 minutes featuring people in Dorne & the Iron Islands that nobody gives a $#@! about. And if you're lucky you might get Sam acting like a pussy for 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Llano Estacado View Post
    I thought it ment this. A single big battle field is going to get cleaned up quickly by either side. I always thought a Feast for Crows was supposed to describe the overall death, destruction, and chaos from Dorne to the Wall. Even with the "War of 5 Kings" kind of settled Westros is in more chaos than ever.

Winterfell - $#@!ed.
    Iron Islands - $#@!ed.
    Vale - $#@!ed.
    Riverlands - $#@!ed.
    DragonStone - $#@!ed.
    Storm's End - $#@!ed.
    High Garden - mind $#@!ed by Cersi
    Dorne - half mind $#@!ed.
    King's Landing - really $#@!ed.
    Then you have splinter groups and what is left of armies Brotherhood, Brave Companions, Renly's, Northmen, Ironmen, Holy Order weird group, etc.

One giant killing field no one cares about is a crow's dream.
    This is right. Crows is about how a small group of people fighting for the crown is devastating the entire kingdom.

Proud Kohls Card Holder wix Shaggy Silver Club wix Shaggy Silver Club wix Shaggy Silver Club wix Shaggy Silver Club wix Shaggy Silver Club wix Shaggy Silver Club wix Shaggy Silver Club wix Shaggy Silver Club wix Shaggy Silver Club wix Shaggy Silver Club wix Shaggy Silver Club wix's Avatar
    I'm halfway through book 4 now and the last few posts make me lol

wtf does a Dance with Dragons mean, no one $#@!ing danced in that book

asshat El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11 grows his own roses El_Pollo_Loco11's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Knight View Post
    wtf does a Dance with Dragons mean, no one $#@!ing danced in that book
    Targs fighting each other, i guess with the 5 year gap the aegon-dany clash would have started by the end

I think it's also a reference to the earlier civil war between the Targs called the Dance of the Dragons.

LSU FAN HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevwun View Post
    I think it's also a reference to the earlier civil war between the Targs called the Dance of the Dragons.
    Yes, with the emergence of Aegon Targaryen in Dance, and him having the better claim to the throne than Dany.

Reference to the war Dance of the Dragons

The Dance of the Dragons was a civil war during Targaryen rule. A war of succession between Aegon II and his half-sister Rhaenyra over their father Viserys I's throne, the war was fought from 129AL to 131AL. It saw the deaths of both rival monarchs, and the crowning of Rhaenyra's son Aegon III.

asshat TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR's Avatar
    Finally got around to reading the excerpt of Winds. This book is going to be like slogging through Italy in WW2, yeesh.

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    my dream is to have an entire book about nothing but Dany and her adventures in Meereen...

asshat Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Long Rod Von Hugendong's Avatar
    A Dream of Spring. In Mereen.

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Rod Von Hugendong View Post
    A Dream of Spring. In Mereen.
    dear god...

Midsummer's Night Dream in Mereen.

Duke of New York (Exiled) Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    So does anyone thing that Martin really has all this planned out with an ending in mind? Because (and I'm about 1/4 through DwD) it feels like just kind of writes what he thinks is interesting, then realizes he's backed himself into a corner (mainly by killing people off) so he adds some new characters and a $#@! ton of background for them. As much as I've enjoyed the books, there are so many characters that he spend countless dozens of pages detailing then he abruptly kills them off like he's bored. It makes me ask, what's the point?

asshat Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian's Avatar
    So does anyone thing that Martin really has all this planned out with an ending in mind? Because (and I'm about 1/4 through DwD) it feels like just kind of writes what he thinks is interesting, then realizes he's backed himself into a corner (mainly by killing people off) so he adds some new characters and a $#@! ton of background for them. As much as I've enjoyed the books, there are so many characters that he spend countless dozens of pages detailing then he abruptly kills them off like he's bored. It makes me ask, what's the point?
    Tolstoy also created vivid characters with no bearing on the central plot to add realism and detail to the entire story. Granted he still made "War and Peace" one book when doing so, but it made the book more enjoyable for me at least.

I agree that his books seem meandering. But if he feels like adding detail I think users seem to enjoy the mythology. Remember, GRRM is an old dungeon master after all.

i think he has an ultimate ending and by now has most of the path to get there. iirc he had to write out a lot of plot options and paths in order to solve the meerenese knot.

asshat TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR's Avatar
    Hopefully Winds spends lots and lots of time going over meaningless Dornians and Meereenese starvation subplots.

Quote Originally Posted by TOR View Post
    Hopefully Winds spends lots and lots of time going over meaningless Dornians and Meereenese starvation subplots.
    Can't wait!!!

LSU FAN HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz Shaggy Silver Club HugoStiglitz's Avatar
    I'm convinced the climactic point of the whole story will take place at or around the Wall where many of the main characters converge (Arya, Mel, Dany, Tyrion, Victorian, Jon, UnCat, Brienne, Davos)

Dany still has to go through Asshai to fulfill several prophecies and foreshadowing.

I hope she just says $#@! Mereen for now and rides Drogon to Asshai.

But we know that's probably not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HugoStiglitz View Post
    I'm convinced the climactic point of the whole story will take place at or around the Wall where many of the main characters converge (Arya, Mel, Dany, Tyrion, Victorian, Jon, UnCat, Brienne, Davos)

Dany still has to go through Asshai to fulfill several prophecies and foreshadowing.

I hope she just says $#@! Mereen for now and rides Drogon to Asshai.

But we know that's probably not going to happen.
    apparently he said that if we see assahi it will be in flashbacks, changed his mind probably b/c the lack of the 5 year gap

I'm re-reading the series in reverse order, and it actually is more entertaining; like a flash-back format. It also helps to skip all the Daenerys, Davos, and Dorne sections. Makes for a much smoother and interesting read. There should be a warning to people that are picking it up for the 1st time: SKIP THE PARTS THAT SUCK.

I like Davos, so he doesn't bother me and there have been some good spots with Dany, but you could cut 90% of her stuff for sure. And Dorne is just useless.

When he's done with this thing, some fanboy needs to do an edit of it. I bet we could get the entire story into 1200 pages and not lose anything important.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast